The Arsenal Club Thread **No Spoilers**Updated Rules - Please read before posting**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I think he has calmed down a bit now sinse having kids, he used to be out on the town a lot getting into trouble and smoking, Rumour is they have offered him a new deal, Santi is another one who's contract is up but i think hes out injured until at least december!

Don
Yes, I'm constantly having to move or delete posts in this thread because no matter how many times I warn people they continue to ignore the rules. I almost had to plead with the rest of the mod team to allow these threads (they were previously banned) again and a condition was the rules set out in the opening post. It's reaching a stage where this thread may end up getting closed or certain members will be permanently thread banned.

Don
Nobody is more aggressive than me and I can ban people so be afraid. It would be lovely if I didn't have to tell the same people the same thing 10 times though.

Don
Should I be surprised? Directly on the back of people questioning why posts keep getting moved or deleted I've just had to delete 4 more posts, suspend a member and permanently remove his ability to use this thread for transfer talk. This thread will now be locked until after the International break.

Don
Updated rules and sanctions:

1. These threads are for: tactical/player discussion in between weekend matchday threads, injury news, contract renewals, manager press conferences, and general minor news about your club that may not warrant its own thread. Anything that's not regarded as a minor news story must go in it's own thread.

2. No Spoilers! Please keep any discussion about weekend and midweek fixtures to the relevant matchday threads, at least until MOTD has been shown.

3. All transfer talk should be discussed in the dedicated transfers threads. Small rumours, signing of youth players etc outside the transfer window when the transfer threads aren't open are fine.

4. As per forum rules, keep it civil, supporters of any team are welcome to post in all club threads. If you have a problem with a post, RTM it. Trolling or accusations of trolling will not be tolerated.

While all the rules must be listened to, take particular care of the rule regarding spoilers. Any mention of the result or performance, even hinting at it, prior to MOTD will result in a suspension.

As the above rules have been continuously ignored by certain members and it being unfair on those that follow the rules to lock this thread permanently, we're introducing a new thread strike system for every time a rule is broken in this thread:

Strike 1 - 7 day thread ban
Strike 2 - 30 day thread ban and 1 week forum suspension
Strike 3 - Permanent thread ban and 2 week forum suspension

Pre-empting what is to come when I open this thread and wanting it to get off on the right foot, please note rule 1. Do not turn this thread into a huge debate on Wenger/Kroenke. I will reopen the thread we had on that over the summer (see below) for as long as it's relevant but the same rules regarding spoilers, transfers etc apply there too, as will the punishments.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...plete-shambles-what-needs-to-change.18778621/

Associate
Now the dust has settled after the Chelsea match its interesting to hear the pundits views. No Sanchez no Ozil and we look a more together team in terms of work ethic, organisation as a unit when the ball is with the opposition, players willing to graft etc. We know Sanchez isn't match fit and Ozil had an injury but I wonder if we will see this team more often. Its not like it was dull we had good possession and maybe on another day could have won!

Side note: the more I see kolasinac the more I love the guy

Soldato
Now the dust has settled after the Chelsea match its interesting to hear the pundits views. No Sanchez no Ozil and we look a more together team in terms of work ethic, organisation as a unit when the ball is with the opposition, players willing to graft etc. We know Sanchez isn't match fit and Ozil had an injury but I wonder if we will see this team more often. Its not like it was dull we had good possession and maybe on another day could have won!

Side note: the more I see kolasinac the more I love the guy

Maybe Wenger's experiment of buying world class players from big teams, doesn't translate well for smaller sides like us. Better to have 11 players who are on the same level than 10 and 1 prima donna.

In Ozil defence he has destabilised the team in the same way that Sanchez has.

Man of Honour
Ozil hasn't destabilised the team like Sanchez has but it's pretty evident that he's a passenger in big games and cannot be relied upon. Against smaller teams it isn't as much of a problem but leaving him out of a first 11 for a bigger game seems to be beneficial, especially when his replacements (like Iwobi) actually bring some hard work and cohesion to the team.

I've heard this sentiment echoed on several podcasts too. Our lesser known and smaller signings (like Kolasinac) just seem to work so much harder for the team, hopefully Lacazette can settle quickly and do the same.

Soldato
I don't feel he's a passenger, or doesn't work hard enough. He just doesn't have the discipline at times, he neglects his defensive duties because that's the type of player he is, that's why he's so good with the ball, he has prioritised that growing up. Ozil has a massive part to play this season, Chelsea is one game, against someone like West Brom, we'll need Ozil to open them up.

The Sanchez thing is interesting though, I've read a few things about Real Madrid not bidding for him because the players don't want him there, I don't think it's to do with playing for Barca, it could be a case of he can be disruptive perhaps.

Last edited:
Associate
The more I look at Ozil I’d say he isn’t so much a bully to teams but he certainly prefers the games where he is isn’t pressured like in some big games where he has been accused of going missing as people call it. He won’t be with us next season he will get a good offer probably from one of the Milan teams now they have good owners I cannot see him going back to Spain

Caporegime
Maybe Wenger's experiment of buying world class players from big teams, doesn't translate well for smaller sides like us. Better to have 11 players who are on the same level than 10 and 1 prima donna.

In Ozil defence he has destabilised the team in the same way that Sanchez has.

The main reason Ozil hasn't had the same effect it the media don't really care about him, it's plain to see how poor he is in the big games while Sanchez is who the team relies on. So Sanchez leaving is big news, he will be a big gain to another team and a huge loss for Arsenal, Ozil leaving will just leave a space in the team for Arsenal to improve and a wage burden on another club when they find out he isn't as good as many people seem to think he is.

If the media were as quiet on Sanchez as they have been on Ozil there would have been less of an issue. Aside from that, Ozil has repeatedly stated he's happy with how he plays and doesn't need to improve, thinks a lot of himself. Basically when we are crap Ozil doesn't care, he doesn't get wound up by losses, he seems like a paycheck player to me which is also incidentally why I think there was little to no transfer news. Sanchez goes crazy when we screw up and damn right, champions show Sanchez's attitude, Ozil sums up the Arsenal of the past 12 years, a team that doesn't really care either way. Sanchez is fed up and desperate to get out so he was going after a transfer, not a free transfer and a big bonus wage so there was a lot of interest and news. Ozil doesn't really care where he plays, he wants the free transfer for a big wage and wasn't at all interested in leaving this summer when he can wait a year in a team he doesn't care about the results of and get himself a bigger deal next year, so his people are talking to clubs about free transfers for 18/19, little to no news of him leaving this summer despite the same contract situation as Sanchez.

The very reason Sanchez has been bigger news and upset the team more is the very reason Arsenal struggle and that we need Sanchez far more than Ozil.

Man of Honour
I think Ozil leaving is also an easier void to fill / gives more opportunities to others in the squad - Ramsey could play a bit further forward (in fact Monday's game is probably an example of the sort of formation you could use) and have two men behind him rather than the risk of him leaving a hole from his runs forward. It also generates more options for Cazorla when he comes back. Even Wilshere, if he rediscovered his form from his formative years is someone who could benefit, although that ship has probably sailed.

Also one reason you don't hear so much on Ozil is that apparently he actively avoids the media, I mean how often do you see him do interviews after matches - as I understand it he once even tried to get a steward to smuggle him out a back entrance rather than have to walk past the waiting press like everyone else.

It may sound like a cliche/bandwagon but I genuinely have seem him shrink in big games, the game that really sticks in the memory was one of the early Bayern Munich games, I was so livid when Cazorla got subbed instead of him after Chesney got sent off, he also missed a tame penalty when Arsenal had bossed the start of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom