1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: The Ban of Cigarettes

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Hyburnate, 10 Sep 2021.

?

Do you agree with an outright ban of cigarettes in the UK?

1. Yes

228 vote(s)
    59.7%
  2. No

154 vote(s)
    40.3%
  1. inflames

Wise Guy

I noticed when I was recently in Italy, that there is still a very large amount of smokers. Not surprised when a pack of 20 is only €5. Made me think that we are doing something right, with pricing cigs so high. It’s the price that puts people off and in courage them to quit. What’s the price of a pack of 20 these days, £18-20? People can’t afford that every couple of days. Specially youngsters as you said.

2. Semple

Sgarrista

Alcohol barely has a smell to it. You certainly couldn't smell alcohol outside a pub. Weed on the other hand, if you've got some cretin smoking it in a car, you can bet you'll be smelling that from several hundred yards away.

3. Semple

Sgarrista

Alcohol is following suit. The price of a beer has pretty much doubled in the last 10 years. Excluding Wetherspoons, none of my local pubs/bars sell beer for less than £5-6 a pint. If that trend continues then by 2030 we could be paying £9-12 a pint :eek::eek:

4. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

[​IMG]

5. 200sols

Sgarrista

Its not true, of course. Alcohol is relatively affordable, the price of the average pint has not doubled in 10 years, far from it.

6. b0rn2sk8

Sgarrista

7. Semple

Sgarrista

You'd better call on my local establishments to drop their prices then.

Besides, you can't go on average pricing as that will be HEAVILY skewed by places selling beer at cost - I could always drink at the student union for about £1 a pint 10 years ago.

The realistic way of determining cost increases is to have bought a pint in 2020 at the same establishment as 2010 and compare the price.

8. 200sols

Sgarrista

I prefer to just use actual statistics. The price of beer in pubs has not doubled in 10 years.

9. b0rn2sk8

Sgarrista

Likewise the increase in the price of beer has little to do with tax on beer.

The cost of the actual beer is only a part of the total cost of a pint.

10. krooton

Caporegime

When covid first hit SA, they banned both cigs and alcohol.

What did people do? Bought cigs/alcohol black market stylee, or indeed made their own booze at home.

Prohibition. Does. Not. Work.

11. efish

Mobster

Slippery slope!

12. arknor

Caporegime

it's somewhere around £9.50+ and they only sell packs of 20 now.

I think tobbaco is only sold in 30g and 50g pouches now, with 30g costing around £13

I think pricing people out of smoking already happened but with the minimum amount of tobbaco/cigs you can buy now it's probably harder to stop and people likely smoke more.

lets say you buy 10 cigs your probably going to realise you need to ration and make them last, but when your forced to buy 20 minimum your probably smoking more often than if you only had 10 in your pocket.

it's like going for a night out and taking only 50 vs taking 100..

your probably spending way less when your limited to 50 in cash right, even if you have access to your debit card?
    min cig/tobbaco sizes being so high it's like only selling alcohol in 5litre bottles and wondering why people are drinking more than before surely?

I'm pretty sure tobbaco sizes the minimum size used to be 3.5g or 5g and now it's 30g so.. it's like a massive increase to the minimum you can purchase

you can't just buy a small amount and try to make it last as long as possible to reduce your smoking frequency and dependency on nicotine any more. your forced to buy in bulk.

seems counter productive surely.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2021
  13. b0rn2sk8

Sgarrista

Lots of people just import huge numbers of them now. Every time someone goes over to the continent, they fill the car up and bring them back and distribute them to their family and friends which is actually illegal already. Same goes for the airport, people bring back as many as they can legally carry.

This is part of the point I was making earlier, people will continue to do it even if you make it illegal. Same thing happened when the age went from 16 to 18, 14 year olds continued smoking…

The cats out of the bag and it’s too late to put it back in. At the end of the day it’s a nice little money spinner for the treasury and the impacts on the NHS are pretty small compared to diabetes and obesity in general. There are much bigger fish to fry in terms of drains on society.

The best way to deal with it is to continue to slowly nudge people to do the right thing, an outright ban is and will be counter productive, nor is it proportionate. That strategy in general is working and will continue to do so.

For the record, I don’t smoke, think it’s disgusting but I do consider the bigger picture.

14. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

That's been going on since I was a lad.
    We used to have regular raiding parties by Trading Standards and Customs & Excise at my old factory in the 80s, 90's & 00s with people selling camel poo.

15. OpenToSuggestions

Capodecina

I'd rather a date was set for a ban based on age. There is no need for someone born after 2005 to ever buy them.
    It's a revolting habit but a little unfair to stuff those who started when it was more acceptable.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2021
  16. arknor

Caporegime

anyone born after 2005 surely isn't old enough to buy them yet anyway.

they should just raise the age to 25 already then leave it there, smoking will die out sooner or later

it's not like you can buy them from pub vending machines etc any more. (still a thing in Switzerland btw even my local pizza shop had a ciggy vending machine and all the takeaways have ciggs on the menu)

17. OpenToSuggestions

Capodecina

That is the point :).
    Being in my 30s I have no idea why people even started. My parents are ~60 and the dangers were made aware to them as kids. It really is a tax on stupidity. My preference would be to stop anyone young from starting in the first place. E-cigs need a bit of tax and the flavours banned, since you're still hooked and the nice smelling ones will attract youngsters. Even a 6 year old will want one that smells like Haribo.

18. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

Recently I witnessed a 21 year old relative smoking for the first time when he has seen both his Nan's die horrible deaths because of smoking.
    I challenged him on it mentioning both of his Nan's but his excuse was he 'wasn't really a smoker' with his Mum & Dad saying 'He's a dick'.

I was in a hotel over the weekend and on both Sat & Sun kids were walking outside all evening smoking.

My point - no it will never die out.

19. Skunkworks

Soldato

My mother has COPD from a lifetime of smoking. While she has cut back significantly, she can’t stop totally. It’s a pernicious drug addiction that has drastically reduced her quality of life and life expectancy.

20. Kelt

Capodecina

God knows how anyone can afford to smoke these days (quite right too).