1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: The Ban of Cigarettes

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Hyburnate, 10 Sep 2021.

?

Do you agree with an outright ban of cigarettes in the UK?

1. Yes

252 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. No

162 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

For the last 5 years of her life my mum was on 24/7 oxygen and down to 18% lung capacity.
    I was so so naïve and believed she had stopped smoking 20 years ago and my daughters told me to check her bins and look for little pieces of tin foil where she had wrapped fag ends in them.
    She had to agree to never smoke again when she was going to have oxygen in the house and she did comply but it was too late.

2. clv101

Capodecina

No, I'm saying two things are both required; objective evidence of harm (clear for tobacco and alcohol) and public support the the ban (recently arrived at for tobacco, hence this thread, but we're a million miles away from it for alcohol, fast food, racing etc).

3. Energize

Caporegime

But public opinion could very easily shift to banning fast food, risk sports or risky activities of any kind, so it's a slippery slope argument.

Public opinion is a very poor metric to go by.

4. cheesefest

Wise Guy

I work at supermarket. I have seen people from the large council estate across the road, behind a row shops spending £30 on cigs then hand me over £9.50 on healthy start vouchers for their milk, fruit and veg. It makes me sick seeing people like this.

If you have never heard of healthy start vouchers https://www.healthystart.nhs.uk/.

5. something daft already!!

Soldato

I asked a girl if she smoked after sex and she said she had never checked.

6. efish

Mobster

Two public health models, coercion or encouragement. Take covid regulations as an example, my partner first worked for track and trace for English N.H.S, when it came to getting contacts, she was required to say that there was a legal obligation to do so.

She moved to work for N.H.S Scotland, this is not done, it 'encourages' people to give information.

The healthy start programme mentioned by cheesefest above would be an example of the encouragement model. To encourage pregnant mothers to adopt a more healthy lifestyle and to ensure the health of their children.

The coercion/ encouragement model affects a wide range of public health policies.

I think the encouragement/ education model is more preferable. More of a conversation with people, rather than forcing them or obliging them to do something.

Making smoking as unappealing as possible and expensive, no issue with that. An outright ban, get the same issues as the war on drugs, with less control over what is sold, potentially higher harm/ higher levels of crime.

Cultural element. My partner was not happy working in an institution that uses a coercion model, so moved to a different environment. She is highly skilled so can do that. Element of cultural evolution/ selection in how systems and institutions adopt different models.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2021
  7. cheesefest

Wise Guy

I work at a kiosk and the other day a girl who turned 18 a few days prior showed ID to buy cigs. She is very pretty and she must be on another planet, starting a habit which will make her older than she looks.

Smoking does age people. Those few friends that smoke that went to school with me and smoke, look 5 years older. Whereas I only smoked a pack across my life, still got ID’d aged 35.

8. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

When I was teaching at the NHS back in 2008 to 2010 we had a software program where we took pictures of year 10 & 11 schoolgirls and then ran it through an ageing process which consisted of smoking, alcohol & sunbathing.
    I'd dial up to the age of 35 with a 10 a day habit and the looks on the girls faces were amazement, they didn't compare themselves to their Mothers but compared themselves to their Nan's.
    I'd then add a couple of glasses of wine a day and then sunbathing :)

It did work on one person which was my colleague from a Jamaican/Nigerian background so she was very black anyway. She didn't smoke or drink but did a lot of sunbathing and she's never done it since.

9. efish

Mobster

I look my age (middle aged), my consultant on the other hand tells me I have the vascular system of a 76-year-old. A lifetime of smoking, still struggling to give up fully and I know for certain it's going to kill me sooner rather than later.

Unlikely I will live to old age, heart attack/ stroke could happen anytime. The disease is already inoperable and something I have to live with.

It horrifies me when I see kids smoke, but I know even when you are confronted with the reality of smoking (it will kill you, you are not superman or supergirl) just how difficult stopping is. It's an addiction. One I would not wish on anyone, but I think education, encouragement, and support is the answer.

I keep my sense of horror to myself, help's no one to get angry and emotional about these things, just makes things worse.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2021
  10. Monkeynut

Soldato

Used to work at a convenience store chain and had the same issue. Also people trying to claim "frozen chips" are "potatoes" lol.

11. efish

Mobster

Off License (back in the day). I had to leave after a couple of years, losing all faith in humanity by the end. No idea how rude people can be to shop staff, before you experience it, or just plain mad.

"I don't have to pay v.a.t. I am Korean."

'I have a very sore leg, can you recommend a good painkiller (shop packet full of booze and then some more booze, fags/ crisps, and sweets).

Do you have any mince? Batteries? Milk? Daily.

Or the magical belief people have that banging on the door after closing and chanting 'but I only want a ten pack of Marlboro lights, is going to work.

Worst was the ex Bishop, who had turned to drink and smelt like he had died, some years back, his wife was little better. His son use to phone the shop to find out how his Dad was as they did not speak. Not a lot to say.

12. Mr Jack

Caporegime

Stories like this make me think the UK's high cigarette prices are unethical.

13. Schizo

Capodecina

I support the ban,I’m a ex smoker who gave up 8 years ago,looking back I really can’t see a reason why I ever smoked,there isn’t anything that would want me to start again.

it smells.
    Costs so much money ( friend spends £300 a month on cigarettes)
    Bad for your health.
    Clothes smell.
    Children breath it in.

14. azazl187

Mobster

I smoke about 2-3 Monday to Friday at work. I don't smoke in the evenings or weekends. I don't think it should be banned outright

15. cheesefest

Wise Guy

Have some cigs £13.45!
    Remember most the European countries have lower personal tax limits and higher income tax.

16. cheesefest

Wise Guy

We can pass on these idiots details to the HS and they can stop vouchers issued to them as abused/attempted abuse. Their account details are on the vouchers.

17. Mr Jack

Caporegime

And higher wages, and cheaper and better public transport, better rental housing, etc. (Western/Northern countries anyway, Eastern and parts of Southern Europe not so much on all counts).

Either way, charging a mostly poorer demographic such prices for a substance they're addicted to seems less like public health and more like abusive profiteering.

18. M1k3H

Wise Guy

Personally, in the last 12 years, I might have bought between 5-10 packs of cigarettes/tobacco from UK shops, when I've ran out. I tend to just buy them when I travel abroad, which I do fairly often, so the high cost of cigarettes seems to impact people who can't afford to travel the most.

19. cheesefest

Wise Guy

“What’s your cheapest fags/rolly baccy” says the chavs at least once a day. Then buy £5 of milk, fruit and veg to use a £4.25 healthy start voucher. Then buy 2 big cans of Chav (sorry Red) Bull.

These idiots should stop smoking. Are NHS still doing stop smoking stuff or has it been paused due to the virus?

20. Shocky-FM

Mobster

100% agree, horrible for your health and ridiculously expensive.

Vaping while not ideal, is far less damaging to your health.