The best air or aio CPU cooler for 9900k

Soldato
only heat up the GPU if you don't have any other intake. current ryzen 2600 is cooled by top mounted intake rad and the GPU cooled by front inlet. No difference in gpu temp if it is run as in take or exhaust.

You said yourself that the air in your case was much hotter. Basically what you seem to be saying is that your front intake fans aren't upto the job and need to be assisted by the rad intake.

Associate
So you have top and front intakes .. say 2x 140mm top an 2x 140mm front intakes means you need 4x 140mm exhaust vents ideally with fans like your intakes to be moving air out of case at same rate as intake fans push it in. If you don't have at lest as much exhaust flow as intakes are capable of your case's maximum flow will be limited by the smaller exaust airflow rate.

I don't need at least 4 exhaust fans.

Associate
You said yourself that the air in your case was much hotter. Basically what you seem to be saying is that your front intake fans aren't upto the job and need to be assisted by the rad intake.

My radiator fans are at a very low RPM. They contribute very little to the internal case temp. My Gpu temps are in the low 50's and I don't hear the fans. My upstairs rig is very quiet and cool. My other system is fully water cooled.

Soldato
My radiator fans are at a very low RPM. They contribute very little to the internal case temp. My Gpu temps are in the low 50's and I don't hear the fans. My upstairs rig is very quiet and cool. My other system is fully water cooled.
No, you don't need 4x exhaust fans, but you do need at lest 4x vents as big or bigger than the 4x vents your intake fans are in for case to flow as much air as the 4x intakes can. Cases flow the same amount of air in and out. That's simple physics of displacement. What flows in must flow out / what flows out must flow in. If it can't flow out it can't flow in / if it can't flow in it can't flow out.

Associate
No, you don't need 4x exhaust fans, but you do need at lest 4x vents as big or bigger than the 4x vents your intake fans are in for case to flow as much air as the 4x intakes can. Cases flow the same amount of air in and out. That's simple physics of displacement. What flows in must flow out / what flows out must flow in. If it can't flow out it can't flow in / if it can't flow in it can't flow out.

so why tell me I need 4 fans then? I also know about how air flow works.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Guys, can I suggest you put one another on ignore?

I don't want to dish out punishments for bickering when a lot of this can be solved if you ignored one another.

Soldato
so why tell me I need 4 fans then? I also know about how air flow works.

He said you needed enough venting for 4 intakes, that typically that would require exhaust fans, since not many cases are going to be large enough to exhaust that much air.

If your system works for you, great, but using a radiator as intake has to mean that the air inside your case is warmer than it should be, so that everything but the CPU is going to be warmer. If you are finding that everything is still the same temperature, or perhaps even better, then that strongly suggests your intake fans (not rad fans), aren't upto the job by themselves, and that even warmed air through the rad, helps the overall situation.

Perfectly your intake is bringing air straight from the outside, at sufficient levels for all components to receive cool air, and then exhaust at sufficient speeds, as not create a significant pressure issue inside the case (which basically just stops fans working as well as they should).

VRMs, especially when overclocking, are at risk of overheating, which is why it'd be important to ensure good cooling of the inside of the case.

Efour, if you're still reading this :D, air cooling is just fine for the majority of uses, even overclocking (assuming it's not extreme), but just like water cooling, requires sufficient cool air to be entering the case. Lots of stock case fans simply aren't upto the job. My meshify c for instance came with 2x 120mm, I put them both on the front, just behind the mesh/foam filter, and did some tests after just running browsing etc. Then I replaced them with 2x 140mm, with decent pressure ratings (you need good pressure to overcome resistance, like filters, foam, mesh etc), and my internal temps (case temps) dropped by around 10C, which is insane. If I put my hand in front of the 120mm, I could barely feel any airflow, since they didn't have the power to overcome the resistance.

EDIT - I now have one of the 120mm sat on the back of my case, acting as exhaust, just behind my aro-m14 (basically macho) cooler, to try and smoothen the airflow out, it doesn't have to overcome much resistance, but hopefully helps keep the airflow smooth, to prevent too much mixing.

Associate
air that goes through an AIO radiator cooling a CPU isn't heated up that much and is better than trying to use the much hotter air from inside a case to cool the rad.

Running an AIO rad as an intake is better than an exhaust. The only rad I run as an exhaust in my systems is the one attached to the kraken G12 cooling my RX480 because I don't want that hot air coming into the case.

This is exactly what I've done now, my gpu is mounted vertically, zotac 1080ti amp extreme which is fantastic at cooling itself and have noticed lower overall system temperature drops by moving the rad to the front of the case also it hasn't made a zilch difference to gpu or other internal temps, some people think your dumping the excess amounts of heat in your case by having it front mounted anyone who has tried with a decent aio will tell you that the rad barely feels like it's over ambient temperature, the heat from the cpu has circulated so much already before even hitting the rad proves that point, 1 thing i have noticed is lower cpu temps overall by front mounting, it really is a no brainer.

Back
Top Bottom