The best things in life are free...

Soldato
So I was just reading a news article in the Virtual Cash thread and I read that someone said that you could walk around London, but to have fun you would need money...

Now this got me thinking. I have been in Sydney for the last two weeks trying to find a job so have had no source of income, therefor spent no money. I have done some really fun things, seen some beautiful sights and done things that I would never have needed to spend money on (well maybe buy a coffee). Are the best things in life for free? I believe they are... I used to go round london and spend 10GBP just on travel and maybe something to eat... but after that initial cost to get there I would have a great time just well enjoying everything that was free in London! Dont remember if the museums and galleries are still free but well whats better than that when you want to do something for free?!

Who else agrees that the best things in life really are free? Who strongly disagrees and thinks you need to spend money to enjoy some level of happiness?

Soldato
Sepheh said:
So I was just reading a news article in the Virtual Cash thread and I read that someone said that you could walk around London, but to have fun you would need money...

Now this got me thinking. I have been in Sydney for the last two weeks trying to find a job so have had no source of income, therefor spent no money. I have done some really fun things, seen some beautiful sights and done things that I would never have needed to spend money on (well maybe buy a coffee). Are the best things in life for free? I believe they are... I used to go round london and spend 10GBP just on travel and maybe something to eat... but after that initial cost to get there I would have a great time just well enjoying everything that was free in London! Dont remember if the museums and galleries are still free but well whats better than that when you want to do something for free?!

Who else agrees that the best things in life really are free? Who strongly disagrees and thinks you need to spend money to enjoy some level of happiness?

I don't know whether I agree that the best things in life are free, as I don't think anything in life is free. Using your Sydney example, how much did it cost you to get there? Although it's free to an extent, if the plane ticket cost, say £500 (guess, I have no idea how much they cost) then surely it isn't free at all?

Maybe i'm just cynical.

Soldato
Well the museums and galleries you visted weren't free, there was just no entrance charge.

Yes a lot of good things in life are free, like just walking around and taking in nature or just hanging out with decent friends.

Soldato
OP
fus said:
how much did it cost you to get there?

Didnt cost me anything... :confused:

Me227 I think you know what I meant but yeah okay there was no cover charge.

Okay so lets change my initial statement... The best things in life are the things dont have a cover charge :D

The world is a beautiful place and the best things in the world shouldnt need any cost to enjoy... I know some people who can only have fun if they are spending money, some people who cant have fun with out a drink. I dont understand it, surely happiness comes from with in?

Soldato
OP
me227 said:
Let me know which airline you went with if it didn't cost you anything to go from Surrey to Sydney. :p

I didnt pay for the ticket... but Malaysian Airlines! Was a present ;)

EDIT:

Wow Oliver the maturity almost made me cry o.O

Soldato
Sepheh said:
Didnt cost me anything... :confused:

Me227 I think you know what I meant but yeah okay there was no cover charge.

Okay so lets change my initial statement... The best things in life are the things dont have a cover charge :D

The world is a beautiful place and the best things in the world shouldnt need any cost to enjoy... I know some people who can only have fun if they are spending money, some people who cant have fun with out a drink. I dont understand it, surely happiness comes from with in?

My point was, in my opinion, nothing in life is completly free (not really nothing, but most things have an indirect cost). Everything needs money. For example, a walk through the countryside. Unless you do it naked, you had to pay for the clothes you were wearing. Therefore, not free.

It's late, maybe this doesn't make sense.

Soldato
OP
fus said:
My point was, in my opinion, nothing in life is completly free (not really nothing, but most things have an indirect cost). Everything needs money. For example, a walk through the countryside. Unless you do it naked, you had to pay for the clothes you were wearing. Therefore, not free.

It's late, maybe this doesn't make sense.

Haha okay I get you... so yes I suppose thats a bit perdantic.. Maybe I like doing things naked :/

I quite often run down the beach naked

Associate
Depends what you consider to be the best things I suppose. Good friends, wife/husband; technically free... but see how long you keep em without spending any money :p

Humans are adaptable creatures and I suspect many people could survive well without money, and they'd find things to keep them occupied and happy. The basic elements of existance are free... but money enables you to enhance them, thus making them better, therefore free stuff isn't as good as free stuff + money. Heh.

Money is only the manifestation of work. Since even basic survival requires some kind of work then I guess you could say that absolutely nothing is free, except death (not including funerals)

Soldato
OP
Jumpingmedic said:
Money is only the manifestation of work. Since even basic survival requires some kind of work then I guess you could say that absolutely nothing is free, except death (not including funerals)

Wow completely agree with that right there! A very good point!

Soldato
Sepheh said:
Haha okay I get you... so yes I suppose thats a bit perdantic.. Maybe I like doing things naked :/

I quite often run down the beach naked

You know what I meant. It's hard to find something in life that is completly free, whether it be a direct or indirect cost.

I was going to suggest love and friendship is free. Maybe the feeling of love is, but the things that go along with it aren't.

Money doesn't make you happy, but it makes it easier to become happy(IMO).

edit: Bah beaten :/

Soldato
OP
All makes perfect sense this stuff.. Interesting to think of it like that. Just I have been sitting in the botanical gardens at sun set for the past few days looking out at the sea towards England and just well things like that make me really happy. Then picking up my book and reading, or maybe taking some photo's or donig some writing... All of this not possible with out the initial purchase of camera book or pen and paper. But I guess at a low cost!

Associate
Having now lived in Sydney for 4 months I'd have to say the best things in life are...

Everything in and around Sydney.

Whether it's free or not doesn't matter it's the fact everthing here kicks ass that counts. :D

Back
Top Bottom