1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by chrismscotland, 8 Nov 2020.

1. Energize

Caporegime

Which corporation and more importantly, what is your point?

Are you suggesting the New York Times Should be totally free? The video I linked to was free and disabling javascript in your browser is not a breach of the computer misuse act, it was an absurd thing for him to assert.

If you look at the RCP polling it was significantly declining before Afghanistan and it was because of the covid resurgence primarily where he went from ~70% approval to ~50% approval.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e..._bidens_handling_of_the_coronavirus-7323.html

Last edited: 14 Sep 2021
  2. Murphy

Soldato

No one is or has suggested that, you thought that's what people were suggesting and despite being corrected you kept on making that assertion.

EDIT: If anything you're being told that you shouldn't be stealing from the New York Times by securing access to their data when you're not authorised to as you've not paid a subscription it.

And yes disabling javascript to access content that you're aware you should not have access to is breaking the law...
    Does disabling javascript give you access to data held in any computer that you are not authorised to access? Yes it does, ipso facto it's breaking the law.

2nd EDIT: And it's not just illegal in the UK, The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) prohibits circumventing an effective technological means of control that restricts access to a copyrighted work. (source)

3. steve5424

Mobster

It's still not all that low to be honest. Going by previous Presidents anyway. Also the resurgence of covid is likely mainly due to those not getting the vaccine.

4. Rroff

Man of Honour

It is as bad as any recent president, aside from Trump, did on their worst days - usually in the aftermath of some big scandal. Relatively speaking it is in the toilet the question is where it goes from here.

5. JRS

Capodecina

Relative to what?

6. Rroff

Man of Honour

Relative to the range of good days and bad days for any recent president, barring Trump who somehow seems to have found a range all of his own.

7. JRS

Capodecina

Recent meaning...what, as far back as Bill Clinton? Pre 9/11 changing the US political landscape for good?

He's about where Clinton was at the same point in Slick Willie's first term. Obviously Dubya's polling was somewhat skewed by this point in his first term given what had just happened to the country. So the only 'recent' President that he compares particularly worse against is Obama. Big whoop, what're you telling me, that it turns out that in the modern political climate an older white guy is less popular than a younger, hipper, more engaging black man? My God. I'm stunned :p

8. Rroff

Man of Honour

Surprise as you try to spin it to make Biden's current unpopularity less so than it is...

Meanwhile if the recent overall trajectory doesn't change he will start to converge on Trump...

[​IMG]

And that takes some doing if you compare Trump to almost any other president.

EDIT: Meanwhile the reasons why Trump even had a shot at The White House haven't gone away in America - and Biden is failing to cut through those issues - the discontent is on the rise again and people turning once again against the traditional establishment figure.

9. Energize

Caporegime

You should become a comedian. :cry:

Even the Trump supporters weren't this extreme!

10. Murphy

Soldato

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Is the New York Times article copyrighted work, yes.
    Is java script a technological means of control that restricts access, yes.
    Does disabling java script give you access that you otherwise would not have, yes.

Don't just take my word for it (source)
    Or how about from the very people you're stealing from...
    My emphasis.

EDIT: On a more personal note. I have to say i find it remarkable that you, as a so called advocate of Libertarianism, would knowingly cause harm to The New Work Times by either circumventing their paywall yourself or encouraging others to do so. And let's be in no doubt, bypassing or circumventing their access controls that limit use of their services simply because you don't want to pay for it is causing harm. Just like gaining unauthorised access to a pay per view event would be and just like downloading a film because you didn't want to pay for it would be.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2021
  11. Rroff

Man of Honour

That is an interesting one as some browsers on some platforms don't even support java script and/or not a complete feature set of it and I tend to browse with additional script blocking in place for non-whitelisted sites, for security reasons, which potentially, though not intentionally, would work around that if the site relied entirely on client side java script to control access.

I'm not sure it would stand up legally if tested if they relied on client side java script to control access - they'd have a hard time proving intent. (Morally, etc. another matter).

Last edited: 15 Sep 2021
  12. BowdonUK

Soldato

I'm not sure which thread to put this in as though it happened during the Trump Presidency I've no doubt this situation is still currently in effect with Biden.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us...ina-twice-trump-term-ended-report-2021-09-14/

This is the military industrial complex taking over the authority to declare war. Biden needs to fire that guy off. He is a threat to the US.

13. Murphy

Soldato

You think Biden is likely to start a war with China?

Also he didn't exactly takeover the authority to declare war, he just spoke with General Li Zuocheng to reassure him that America wasn't about to start a war and even if it did he'd give him prior warning.

14. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Capodecina

Interesting view, I see it as the opposite
    The professional here reaching out to a fellow professional probably asking for calm should a incident happen and request that no knee jerk reaction was taken at the whim of a person who was clearly desperate to cling on to power and was potentially not acting rationally.

15. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

Additionally this would just be the military rather than the military industrial complex, unless Lockheed Martin were on the zoom call?

16. JRS

Capodecina

Quite.

Let me guess @BowdonUK - you'd have had Stanislav Petrov booted for averting nuclear armageddon on his own initiative rather than letting the Soviet leadership end the world ;)

17. BowdonUK

Soldato

But its not in his remit to contact a foreign power to give them a heads up.

So now you're comparing the US to an extreme communist country of the Soviet Union? I'm interested to know was you alive when the Soviet Union was active?

It's a good job some of you guys aren't leaders of anything because you'd be allowing secrets out all over the place.

You're justifying a situation that if someone as a disagreement with you that it's ok for them to go and tell all your secrets.

This situation is probably also active during Bidens Presidency too.

18. JRS

Capodecina

Well, no. I'm mostly hanging a lampshade on your utterly hysterical (in both senses of the word) overreaction to this :p

Grew up with the final decade of it. And I know plenty about it from interest in and research into the Soviet era space programmes.

Secrets like...the Joint Chiefs not wanting a war with China?

I'm pretty sure that's never been a secret...

Anyway, what are you worried about? Trump called the story a fabrication and as far as I can tell the only person aside from you getting het up about it is Marco Rubio, which should probably tell you that you're on the wrong side of the argument :D

19. BowdonUK

Soldato

The Joint Chiefs aren't paid or have any loyalty to a foreign power. Do we have to wait until Biden gets undermined in a similar situation for you to think its a problem?

So now you're a 'big hands' Trump and 'little' Rubio fan? Wow I never saw that one coming ;)

20. JRS

Capodecina

Yep. Unless Biden starts displaying Trumpian levels of going off the deep end, in which case it'll be a relief that adults are in charge. Much like it was towards the end of the Trump Presidency.

:confused: