1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by chrismscotland, 8 Nov 2020.

1. Colonel_Klinck

Soldato

How exactly is Milley a traitor?

That last paragraph is laughable.

2. Flake87

Wise Guy

If you don't know then you certainly know very little if anything at all about the reasons Obama was so bad as a President. Thomas Sowell is an Emeritus Professor at Stanford educated at Harvard and lecturing at most of the Ivy league universities, the publisher of several books and academic papers, and you regard this guys considered academic opinion as 'laughable' when you know less than than nothing about the reasons why?

It is because of posts like yours I dont normally post here, because not only do you know nothing, but you aren't even prepared to do the most basic of research to find out why someone holds that opinion - you think you know it all when you have zero insight.

I told you in the lat post it would take a book to detail all the reasons why Obama was such a bad President, so it should be pretty easy for you to identify some of the reasons why Sowell has reached his considered opinion.

Why don't you try letting us know some of the many criticisms?

3. Rroff

Man of Honour

In very broad strokes what he accuses Obama of it as much a story of almost any other American president - putting politics and rhetoric above reality. It is a large part of what the average person in the US voted against and ended up with Trump and why post Biden as things are going currently they will likely vote for another Trump like figure :s but nothing will change most likely.

We have a similar problem in this country but people seem to keep falling for it then wondering why nothing improves.

Last edited: 30 Sep 2021
  4. Flake87

Wise Guy

There are very specific criticisms of Obama that go far beyond rhetoric and politics criticisms such as corruption over the $23 Billion UAW bailout, the terrible mismanagement of the economy, Hilary Clintons corruption as his foreign secretary, And this is just a snapshot, perhaps the worst is the way he allowed heads of state institutions to become detached from elected official oversight, the consequences of which hurt Donald Trump and are hurting Joe Biden perhaps even more.

5. Apex

Capodecina

Why don't you post in GD then if you aren't willing to bother. This isn't how it works.

I was really intrigued by what you wrote, but then you ruined it.

6. Flake87

Wise Guy

As I said, there's so much of it, it would take a book to write it all down, people who wish can now go a do a little reading of their own, find the arguments decide for themselves. The problem I have found posting here is that as soon as a specific example is posted there are certain individuals who begin paleo surfing - looking for something that might have happened decades ago dredging it up and then attempting to use that to nullify the argument even though it has no relevance.
    In one past example they managed to go back to the 1950s find someone had joined a club of some kind for a short period and then from that somehow decided he was the reincarnation of Adolf Hitler (and I am not making this up) and so anything he had written could simply be discounted!

In the case of Obama much has been covered by by the bent American media, and we can see that happening again with Biden but it's much more difficult for them and more obvious to the people, what they are doing.

7. efish

Mobster

I know Thomas Sowell is a respected academic and Conservative libertarian thinker with a distinct political agenda. I have not read his claims on Milley being a traitor, rather the more widespread accusations from Trump (someone who is not a widely respected academic) about his treasonous activity.

The only thing that comes up on google search ' Thomas Sowell on Mark Milley is

The traitor/ treason claim is widespread, I would have thought that really it's Trump that is responsible for the popularity, as far as I can see Sowell has yet to appear on Fox and Freinds or Tucker Carlson yet in regard to this issue.

8. Flake87

Wise Guy

I never said anything about Sowells opinion on Milley, you have become confused it's only in the final sentence about his opinion on Barak Obama.

The claims about Milleys activities originate from the WaPo's Carl Bernstien (yes the one half of Woodward & Bernstein) and a hard line Democrat, in his book 'Peril'. Many poeple including retired senior military officers have accused Milley of treason and his 'non denial' of his phone calls to the Chinese military counterparts has done nothing to dispel the accusation.

Biden would have made a far better decision to have fired Milley and let him carry the can for Afghanistan - by defending him Milley is now a dangerous loose canon attacking him to save his own skin. In my opinion Milley is doomed because sooner or later Biden is going to want to shift the blame for Afghanistan and Milley sure deserves it.

9. Colonel_Klinck

Soldato

That isn't how it works. You are making the claim here, well not really, you are just eluding to something you read. You expect me to go and read a book to then counter what? Some conservative academic thinks Obama was the worst POTUS ever. I don't need to read his book to know that is total partisan nonsense.

As for Milley, so some retired general officers make that claim, considering 124 of them put their names on a letter saying Trump won the election it isn't saying much about retired general officers in the US military is it.

Last edited: 1 Oct 2021
  10. Murphy

Sgarrista

I only know the details that I've read people talking about on these here forums but i don't think it was his criticism of senior officers that's got him into trouble, i think it's that he didn't follow correct procedures and voiced his criticism in public rather than following the chain of command.

11. Werewolf

Commissario

Would that be the corruption that the Republicans spent years and tens of millions of dollars on but couldn't find anything?
    Every time I've seen that line trotted out it's tended to be the same old very long since disproven rubbish.

12. Sankari

Caporegime

Republicans: 'Biden is a Chinese puppet, he's owned by Beijing!'

Reality: 'U.S. trade chief: Biden team will "build on" Trump-era tariffs against China.'

13. efish

Mobster

Yes definitely confused. Not that familiar with Sowell's take other than he is a very right-wing thinker and a political activist as well as an academic. So I found you're omission of that detail surprising. You can't ignore his politics, not all academics are political activists and public thinkers, he is and needs to be evaluated on that basis. It's also perfectly obvious why his political opinions would be a matter of debate and dispute.

Bernstein's claims in regard to Milley I am familiar with.

The state of American politics is such its really difficult to make an independent and valid conclusion (I think) based on media reports and cable news, democrat or republican, they all have distinct political agendas and they are in a full-blown cultural war.

The tendency to omit facts and present a rather slanted perspective + cable side of things is prone to sensational controversy, the 'hero'/ 'trator' of the nation, the dramatic take no prisoners language of its partisan media hype train.

14. Energize

Caporegime

It's unfortunate that he continues with tariffs, I was expecting a more considered response to China, we can take action against them without increasing tariffs which as Friedman put it "protect the US consumer from cheap prices".

Tbf, Sowell is a libertarian not a conservative, he wants all drugs legalised ffs.

15. Colonel_Klinck

Soldato

Funny because he is listed as a libertarian conservative in lots of places. You know you can be both right? A lot of conservatives want drugs legalised.

16. Energize

Caporegime

Not really, conservatism is concerned with preserving the social order and maintaining tradition often through institutions, that's incompatible with libertarianism which has no real regard for such things, and seeks to maximise freedom from not just the state but from any authority and inevitably results in significant societal change over time. Most libertarians regard the label "libertarian conservative" to be bunk.

17. Energize

Caporegime

So it looks like a deadlock is in place with infighting in the Democratic party, the progressive Democrats in the house won't pass the $1t infrastructure bill, unless the senate also passes the $3.5t infrastructure bill. However the moderate Democrats in the senate won't vote for the $3.5t bill.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...re-bill-deadline-31-october-biden-frustration

18. AtreuS

Soldato

Why is biden still in office? hes clearly not mentally capable of the position. Its getting beyond a joke now, the poor guy is clearly suffering from dementia or a severe cognative disorder.

19. Energize

Caporegime

Footage has come out of border patrol agents whipping Haitian migrants from horseback, the optics on this are terrible.

Some people are claiming that they are "long reins" not whips, as an experienced horse rider I can tell you that they are actually called "romal" reins, a set of reins with a romal (whip) attached to them, they are designed for herding cattle by whipping them, the romal is not a riding aid, i.e. not something used for riding the horse.

20. Flake87

Wise Guy

You should look at the collapse of the US Dollar, and I'm not meaning it losing value against other currencies, I mean it's total collapse to worthless paper. Imagine the implications of that for a moment. It is no longer the worlds only reserve currency and authoratative economists from around the world are not talking if, they are talking when.

If as has been suggested China decides to take back Taiwan into the Chinese purview, it merely needs to first dump the $1.5 trillion debt it holds onto the market in one go, and the US Dollar collapses to worthlessness. It can no longer afford the price of a war against China which it would lose anyway, and it would lose it's position as the worlds one remaining superpower.

The price of gold has been rising recently as a reflection of this unease.