1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by chrismscotland, 8 Nov 2020.

1. Rroff

Man of Honour

This is a fallacy - a war time economy does not equal a peace time one. Though it can limit what you can afford and hence how prepared you are in peace time. Sometimes that even precipitates war when a country realises their back is to the wall.

2. steve5424

Mobster

He clearly doesn't have dementia. Also he is more capable than the previous Tennant of the White House.

3. efish

Mobster

He does not like labels but he is widely understood to be a conservative-libertarian. He is also a member of the Hoover Institute, which is a perfectly credible and prestigious think-tank, but it is a conservative institution.

Right-wing libertarian is strictly speaking the proper term it's the stand-out feature of American libertarianism (distinct form and it's only been around since the 60's), it's a propensity towards very right-wing positions. The term is often associated with anti-state left elsewhere, rather than the right-wing beliefs of American libertarians.

I have no idea how the libertarian right can support an authoritarian like Trump but they do and Sowell is certainly a fox and friends defender of Trump.

But it does not alter the fact, he was originally deployed in the thread emphasizing his academic credentials and not noting his political credentials or political activism. An argument from authority, standard debate issue.

That he is critical of Obama should come as no surprise.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2021
  4. Flake87

Wise Guy

Yeah so all those Bloomberg, Forbes, investopaedia even Chinese academics are all wrong just because you know better!

The US war gamed a war with China and they were routed, it's a war they cannot win and a war they do not want. In fact the Navy is no longer really fit to fight because of all the crazed diversity training which has taken precedence over the neccesary military ones.

https://news.usni.org/2021/07/12/la...s-related-to-navy-culture-leadership-problems

instead of just trying to rubbish everything you read which you don't like to hear instead of writing foolishness, why don't you take a little time to investigate the point the writer has made, and that way you will gain greater insight and understanding of a situation.

This is why I don't post here very often - too many people with too litle knowledge and massively bigotted opinions based on nothing but their own prejudices.

5. Flake87

Wise Guy

Sowell never supported Trump and he was as critical of him as he was of Obama. That's the problem with people being partisan they cannot accept that others have open minds believing everyone elses mind is as closed as their own is.

6. VincentHanna

Capodecina

7. Energize

Caporegime

Did you actually watch that video you posted? It's loads of old videos stitched together unrelated to Trump, some even going back as far as 50 years! Then there's one section at the end when he's talking with Larry Elder where he just says that Hilary and Biden are known disasters and Trump is a risk that he'll take, that's not really supporting Trump.

This is him actually discussing Trump, "This is the 2nd consecutive president of the United States that I automatically turn off when I'm watching television".

Last edited: 4 Oct 2021
  8. Rroff

Man of Honour

That is a rather reactionary response.

What I said is completely true - a nation like the US even if it can't afford a war in peace time still is in the position to, and has the means to, generate a formidable war time economy - the rules are completely different when you take normal peace time restrictions off the table - something these academics for some reason often fail to account for.

The US has been taking action in response to those scenarios and other factors - spending a lot of money upgrade infrastructure at Wake Island and Guam, working closer with allies in the region, etc. etc. but even so those scenarios were mostly by the numbers and didn't take into account factors on both sides which would change a real conflict including the full complexity of the issues with the US navy but also the command structure and hierarchy of the Chinese forces which tends to put them at a distinct disadvantage vs the on paper numbers because of the lack of autonomy, and waiting for commands, at branch and unit level, etc. and low levels of professionalism which even with decades of reform is still at a disadvantage compared to the US forces and allies, amongst other problems.

9. Energize

Caporegime

Kamala Harris must be crying herself to sleep. :cry:

She's such a reprehensible person I am glad to see this case collapse.

10. steve5424

Mobster

What has that to do with the Vice President?

11. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Apparently she was DA when she filed charges against them.

Not that I've ever heard of the case.

12. Murphy

Sgarrista

Seems odd to be celebrating a mistrial being declared in a case about child sex trafficking, pimping, and money laundering.

13. Apex

Capodecina

Some people are obsessed about trying to spin any news as bad for biden/Harris and rejoice in it. Odd behaviour but given the last 4 years, does anything like this surprise you?

I see people thinking this country should be open with no lockdowns for people to die during covid and fate can decide if they live or not.

Then you have others saying hang Mike pence because he doesn't break the law.

Celebrating from a certain group is nothing surprising.

14. Colonel_Klinck

Soldato

Yeah but its Energize and she is a Democrat.

15. Energize

Caporegime

As DA she was the champion against prostitution including backpage.com, flying under the false flag of "sex trafficking" that every right winger cries, usually against foreigners.

Authoritarians love her.

Considering SC is quite right wing it explains a lot behind the sycophancy. She was a nightmare for justice.

Doesn't surprise me that Murphy of all people has bought into all the anti-liberal propaganda.

Last edited: 5 Oct 2021
  16. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Stop getting political news from YouTube would be my advice.

17. 200sols

Sgarrista

Typo surely?

18. Murphy

Sgarrista

What anti-liberal propaganda? I didn't even know anything about the case until you brought it up and did 10min of research. Being against child sex trafficking, pimping, and money laundering (afaict) isn't anti-liberal, unless you think selling child sex slaves and laundering money is somehow about personal choice or not actually harming anyone.

My guess is you've watched that video, thought it sounded good and because it confirmed your bias you didn't bother doing any research and only now have discovered what the case was about so you're trying to back-peddle by making it about people being against personal freedoms.

19. Energize

Caporegime

Reason is a respected libertarian news outlet, that's like saying don't watch a bbc news video if it's on youtube. Do you believe they are making the mistrial up?

I read about the case ages ago. The accusations of trafficking were basically a nonsense attempt to try to get the website shut down because they had a vendetta against prostitution as conservatives often do. The end result is women being put in more risky situations like being on the street.

No, many SC members are pro drug prohibition, pro death penalty, anti prostitution many conservative stances.

Anyone on the left should despise what Harris has done in her career as DA, the fact that people here like her is a clear endorsement of conservative actions.

Last edited: 5 Oct 2021
  20. Mr Badger

Sgarrista

And your evidence for this claim is what exactly?