1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by chrismscotland, 8 Nov 2020.

1. Apex

Capodecina

honestly, it's probably the last funny thing i've seen in terms of satire. watching that, i have no idea how beavis and butthead became famous?

it's like laughing at this:
    see this photo of a girl surrendering?

lol so funny, look how uncanny, trump, does the same pose

it's not even like there as so many instances of biden doing that other than the one video for a few seconds, unlike trump who forever surrenders, or his famous pose where he holds onto an invisible small pee pee

sorry Arknor but you're on your own on this one. -5/10

2. arknor

Caporegime

have you ever seen someone standing with their hands in the position biden uses? other than when they hold a zimmer frame?
    I wonder if it's some technique for when you feel faint

he probably thought it made him look tough like a boxer....

3. Apex

Capodecina

you're really searching deep and low here.

4. arknor

Caporegime

so youve stood having a conversation with someone who had their hands out like that?

if someone did that in a pub everyone would think they are mental and avoid them

5. Werewolf

Commissario

First off have you actually got any unedited footage of him doing it?

I've just had a look at several videos of him speaking and he's not doing it in them.

6. efish

Mobster

Ok, let's say you are sitting at the pub moving normally and all of a sudden, you get a flash as a lot of lights go on and you are under intense heat. then you see the camera and the mic being pushed in front of you as a smartly dressed woman says 'smile you are now on t.v. beamed live to an international audience of millions.

Do you think at that point you are going to 'move normally?' It would be mental would it not? Kind of situation you start wishing you had a change of underwear.
    Very stressful.

That affects how you move. You may reach for your pint rather oddly with an unusual expression on your face.

Most people who are not trained to deal with stress in that situation, move in pretty much the same way as we all share the same anatomical structure.

It's known as 'doing the penguin.'

Arm movements are the most obvious sign, stress pins the upper arm to the rib cage, so you flap your arms about like a penguin, as you can only move them up to the elbow. Or you may freeze, in such a posture.

Biden has that issue, most people do if you watch out for it.

7. arknor

Caporegime

Twitter Embed above this text if you don't see it use another browser. (I can't get them to show with firefox)
    He's navigating his mind with an invisible steering wheel? Boxing stance? joes a go getter

I can't be bothered to find the original footage on an original channel.
    I'm pretty sure this is unedited foxnews have an article about it
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-widely-mocked-on-social-media-for-bizarre-hand-gestures
    Biden stood with his arms locked and fists clinched for nearly 20 seconds

Last edited: 24 Nov 2021
  8. efish

Mobster

Yes everyone is biased and has a political opinion that colours what they say. Although bias can affect how an argument looks and it's not something you are always self-aware of.

You support policies that to my mind are extremely anti-liberal like you're support of Trump who is a far worse authoritarian than Harris. I don't understand how right-wing libertarians, can support a leader or party like the republicans. I am a left-wing libertarian, natural moderate Labour voter, although they took an authoritarian turn years ago and I do not support or endorse them.

That would be hypocritical, which is how I would view a libertarian who supported Trump (from my own perspective and bias, I could not support an authoritarian with who I shared a wider political perspective with, it would be wrong I would oppose them, in the same way, I opposed Trump or indeed Harris who I also dislike)

Take critical race theory, I dislike that as it's based on social constructivism, which I think is mad (the idea that all truth is a social construct). I would however fully defend the right of academics to hold and express ideas I find daft. I would certainly not support legislation that leads to book banning.

The shooting. I accept the innocence of the shooter. I don't however think that because you are not guilty of a criminal offense means you're actions are exemplary.

Since watched the Fox News, Tucker Carlson stuff, really similar to the views expressed by you. I don't know the full details of the case, but I am more than capable of spotting rank hypocrisy and self-serving political arguments. Some really poor arguments are being made, totally unbalanced, but that is the nature of American media, right or left.

In my opinion, that kid, made some very poor decisions and is now being exploited by the media, turning him into something he is not.

His trial is unfortunately a political event as guns use is such a heated political subject. Fox is trying to turn a series of radical political beliefs about the rights of armed citizens to act in particular circumstances while suggesting it's not political but some sort of common sense, that this type of activity is perfectly normal and natural.

It's not.

The idea nothing happened here, is ridiculous. Gunning down three people on the street, whether you are innocent or guilty, you are unfortunately going to feel some legal heat and will not be nice. The line between innocence and guilt is often very small indeed.

The issue is not arrested and trial, it's the fact that being arrested is often not done properly and becomes an act of brutality and the idea of innocence before being found guilty by a jury has just gone out the window in media, both on the right and left.

The politics is now so divided that you are now either hero/ saint or demon/ sinner. No in-between.

America does it have issues and then some, these events, riots, armed militia policing the streets, and young people seeing that as normal and getting attracted to one side or the other, leading to events like this.

Sad to watch.

9. Apex

Capodecina

It's almost like, after 4 years of seeing a guy unable to walk down a slight slop with holding hands, or unable to drink water with 1 hand, they are now trying to minimise dumb trump buy saying "look others can't stand normally either"

Any way, that is still an edited clip, as it doesn't show the before bit, which is key.

But either way, it's not even weird that he's stood still for 20 seconds while he takes in exactly what is said to him, and thinks of his answer as it happens. Like I said before, you're scraping at the lowest point of a barrel here. 1 example of Biden standing frozen while he takes in what is said to him.

Can you stop making it so easy to defend this rubbish and actually come up with something legit? Not that this needs defending, it's literally nothing

10. arknor

Caporegime

it's not exactly edited just perhaps out of context from the point it's clipped.

either way it's still kinda weird, he's been public speaking since like the 70s? or 60s right?

11. efish

Mobster

Standard media meme stuff, c.n.n and m.sn.b.c did it with Trump.

Here's Fox aus. doing the Biden meme with the hands, then moving on to Haris making one of those dire attempts at the drama that politicians do. 'Doesn't she look weird hands all moving about'

Click-bait, people like it, it's funny, you get to laugh at a politician you do not agree with.

It can also be used instead of a substantive point in an argument standard ad hominem stuff if that is your thing.

He is an old bloke as is Trump, American politics in particular is like a retirement home, does not represent its population. That's an issue in both parties, this sort of satire reflects the wider issue.

But it is however satire. 'Look at the old man who smells of wee.'

Or look at the orange clown, in the weird fat hiding suits or that hair.

End of the peer knockabout political farce. Can be amusing, but that is about as far as it goes.

The above clip is the real context for this sort of stuff, it's not meant to be taken seriously.

12. Energize

Caporegime

What policies do I support that are illiberal, and where have I said Kyle Rittenhouse is a hero? What I've said couldn't be further from what Fox are saying, your perception is very flawed here.

Last edited: 24 Nov 2021
  13. efish

Mobster

This is you're stock response.

I stated what I think about the case, and the coverage on Fox not what you think.

As far as I am aware you have made no remarks about Kyle Rittenhouse being a hero, which is why I never made the statement.

Fox News coverage is the closest I have seen to the points you are making, in a general sense. You're arguments bare no resemblance to any of the legal commentators I have read, radical right-wing commentators on Fox are the closest thing I can find. No idea what you are reading but that is the nearest analogy I can find.

Any way. No need to reply as I know what the answer will be. I am wrong, I can't comprehend you're arguments and have no valid criticism as you are correct (in you're opinion).

You seem to have borrowed from Dowie's rhetorical style, one of you're comments a few posts back, was uncanny valley, for a second I thought I was responding to him, you structure in the same way and use the same debating cheats.

He does the ' I am the judge of it all it is clear you are wrong' routine as well. I never respond to him anymore it's pointless, not a debate. Also, nothing you can say if all someone can repeatedly claim is basically....

....'I will be the judge of that and the obvious flaw in you're argument is to disagree with me.'

This is what this knockabout rhetorical style boils down to. An authority claim, with nothing to back it up, double down ignore any valid points and use the all-time Dowie classic of 'where did I say that/ I never said that.'

Last edited: 25 Nov 2021
  14. Energize

Caporegime

Lol, if you ignore 99% of legal commentators and centrist news sources I guess.

Your posts are really hard to parse with the atrocious use of commas and spelling errors, I have commented on this in the past as have others, and this leads to this constant back and forth of you making implications or inferences and then when challenged you say something along the lines of, "oh I didn't really mean that", honestly can't tell whether English is your 2nd language or you are acting in bad faith but it's tiring.

Every time you are asked to back up your bizarre claims you are never able to, "Rand Paul, climate change", "support authoritarian policies", etc. you just post all these random buzzwords instead of making a coherent point, just really bizarre, maybe when so you feel you can't debate with so many other posters that's because the common problem is you?

Last edited: 25 Nov 2021
  15. Energize

Caporegime

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/nov/22/joe-biden-intends-to-run-again-2024-white-house

It's difficult to see how he can win with these approval ratings, things are going to have to take a dramatic term in the next 3 years for that to happen, he only managed to win last time because he was against Trump, if he's not against him I can see him losing swing voters in the next election.

16. Rroff

Man of Honour

Some of the issues affecting his approval rating will go away in the longer term... however factors like the average American feels his administration (and US politics in general) are out of touch, not seeing results in their community despite all the big headlines, etc. aren't just going to go away without real results. Increasing number of Americans have concerns about Biden's "mental acuity/sharpness" which again isn't going to just go away. A lot is going to hinge on how things go from now until the build up to the election but a lot will depend on who he is running against.

17. Apex

Capodecina

Still a long way off from election, 3 years is a super long time. People moan now that covid isn't dealt with, all the while republicans refuse to musk/vaccine up.

It's hard to say what the landscape will look like in 3 years, but it's certainly not what it currently looks like.

Plus you still have the gift that is trump to ruin it for the gop. He continues to do that.

And finally, don't forget, a lot of republican voters are dead due to not listening to covid.

18. Sankari

Caporegime

Last edited: 27 Nov 2021
  19. Apex

Capodecina

This is a good point that you've just made me realise.

Trump's approval ratings were low, and Bidens are too, but there is a huge difference.

Trump has no ability to win over new voters, he is unable to say, this isn't working, I have done something wrong, let's improve. Rather than admit he's dropped the ball, he lies and creates a bigger issue (covid is a prime example) to save face.

37 is bad for trump because he doesn't know how to make it higher.

Bidens isn't good right now, but he had 3 years to do something about it, something he is capable of.

People try and compare just the numbers, without taking into account the persons ability to respond to those numbers.

20. Sankari

Caporegime

Agreed, I think you're absolutely spot on here.