The big children debate

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;24472476 said:
^ I agree but many of the people in this thread saying that they don't want kids have also added that them being selfish is at least one defining factor in their reasoning. I'm not saying it's a constant but it's at least a thing.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't want kids because they are either broken manchildren, scarred by childhood experience, harbouring a real hatred of children for whatever reason etc etc... :D

There are plenty of us who have taken a pragmatic, well-reasoned position on why they don't want to get involved though.

I can make a positive contribution to my niece's life by doing fun stuff with her, helping her out with her studies, paying for school trips, treating her on the odd occasion and also offering guidance where I feel able. I don't see the point in having my own because in all honesty, that'd be another human on the planet that isn't really needed. That and I'd be a really crap dad and husband with my awfully short attention span. :D

Had a scare once with an ex who was deliberately trying to get pregnant despite telling me she was on the pill. That was NOT fun and cemented my position even more. :mad:

Soldato
My thoughts very much echo yours stuie, I hate the little *****. Don't ever want them and nor does the girlfriend, having a kid is probably my absolute worst nightmare. I know it's selfish but it actually annoys me when friends/family have them as it means I'm going to see them a lot less, as their lives will then be focussed on the kid and I'm not going to want to visit because I don't want to be around children. The parents don't stop banging on about them and the kids themselves are noisy and annoying.

I think the paternal part of my brain is missing as I have zero tolerance for anything to do with children.

Would you say you are happy and enjoying life in general?

Anyone with that much venom against people not harming you should probably set a few alarm bells ringing.

Caporegime
Would you say you are happy and enjoying life in general?

Anyone with that much venom against people not harming you should probably set a few alarm bells ringing.

Well, one could argue that he is happy with his life, but his friends/family having kids impacts the things he enjoys about life, thereby subjectively harming his enjoyment of life.

Soldato
Well no id like an aston martin the lex is just a stop gap.

My life is fun I do what I want when I want to do it my question is why is it people insist of pushing their spawn in my face and then go one about why I should be joining them in their living hell. Its kinda like Jehovah's Witnesses just way less fun to bait

Wow, you have a Lexus. Hardly setting the world on fire are we?

I have a child. Last year we went on three holidays. Three weeks in Thailand, New York at Christmas etc.

I could take a new GT3 home tomorrow if I wanted to, it has nothing to do with having children.

If your own assessment of yourself is so weak that you don't think the world would benefit from your spawn then good, you are probably right!

Soldato
Be aware that when they do leave home it's going to hurt. Everybody who's kids haven't left home probably thinks its great to get rid of them (teenagers, harder work than newborns if you ask me) but that moment they finally go and you and the wife are alone isn't fun.

Ok it gets better because after you have gotten used to the nest being empty it's fun, you can do things you couldn't before, but for a while its horrible, the house feels empty.

Lol...errr no! I pray every day for the buggers to up and leave.
IF the twins go their dad for a while, its bliss.
They are hardly in to be fair, but seriously i wouldn't miss them being around. They're good lads, but i'm firmly of the mind that they need to make their own way in the world now....and do one!!!
The door will always be open to them however.

Associate
I do find it a bit odd when people bring up the subject of why someone doesn't have children. To me it's a very personal question that I would never dream of asking someone, unless I knew them extremely well. They might not have children for many reasons:

1) They don't want them - By asking you are almost implying they're odd, so you shouldn't
2) They might have lost a child - I hope it's self explanatory why that subject should be avoided
3) They might not be able to have them - Again, not something you discuss unless they are good friends.

Associate
I have two kids and can completely understand why others don't want kids, particularly when they are both in a grumpy mood and moaning!

The only people who I think are selfish are those who don't want kids AND moan about paying taxes for schools, child benefit etc. Be glad that there will be someone young and strong to hoist you out of bed and on to the bog when you're old!

Back
Top Bottom