The bodily changes of getting older

Soldato
40 and the fittest i have ever been, and i have always been active. Most people thst conplain about old sge in their 40s are just living s horrible éige of zero exercise and bad diet. The fittest people i know are all in the ir 40s and 50s, and plenty of people in their 60s sre far faster than me in my races (ultras).

i do need to pee in the night but it 100% down to coffee and or alcohol. I tend to detox regularly before competitions or hesvy training and i cut almost all coffee and alcohol, then i sleep like a log all night 9-10 hours.
1 simple trick is simply to have 1 coffee early in the morning. It wont impact much by the evening.

Weight gain doesn't change, thsh is purely calories in vs out, whatever some internet based pseudo-science diet suggests.

This, I'm in my 40s and fitter than I've ever been. A lot of my mates are just becoming increasingly lardy and racking up health problems. You can't keep living the same lifestyle once you get older and expect to get away with it. Frankly I've done all the boozing, drugs, partying and hangovers I need for a single lifetime....so spending my time doing physical activities is much more enjoyable. Besides that, hangovers last a week now!

In the last week I've been outdoor trad climbing three times, outdoor bouldering once, outdoor sport climbing once, and indoor bouldering once.....and off to Scotland next week for a week of mountaineering.

Still have some age-related niggles. Osteoarthritis and bone spurs in my big toes. Muscle tear in my back that never healed properly (which can be managed). Gave up on the hair years ago :p

OP may want to talk to GP about peeing and prostate issues....there are a number of causes ranging from cancer, bacterial infection, to random age-related prostate swelling. I've been having issues, had PSA test and stuff so unlikely to be cancer, still dealing with GP though.

Soldato
40s here and definitely harder to keep in shape now. More active than I've ever been and still hard to keep belly fat off. Doing a push pull squat calisthenics routine, running, yoga, biking etc. Started drinking green tea and cut down on snacking which is my weakness. Even trying a little intermittent fasting and yet to eat breakfast. Damn starving right now!

Man of Honour
Had to reread this as thought I had written it in my sleep, most of this absolutely the same for me! Except fat, I still have a high metabolism so can eat anything without an effect on my weight/size.

According to posters on here that is rubbish and you actually do more exercise than you think you do and you don't eat what you think you do :)

Soldato
yes! why!? what is it for, there is no need, just stop it
i've actually considered some ear/nose clippers

also big long eyebrow hairs, i've to trim those
I'm well into the nose trimmer territory already. It is a regular job now. I'm trying to leave the ear hair longer so I don't have to do it all the time

Soldato
Actually, the opposite is true. You should drink more (water) upto and including bed time. For the first two weeks you'll be peeing like a racehorse, but after that you'll go through with no urge for middle of the night wandering.

Well into my 40s now, but haven't noticed any significant deterioration of anything particularly. Eyesight is still 2020, hair is still full and no grey. Perhaps take slightly longer to heal but that's as much my occasional poor nutrition choices.

Caporegime
Can no longer knock in nails with yer ding a ling once its excited, it turns into the equivalent of Timmy Malletts Mallet, minus the hair and glasses..obviously.

Soldato
Tbh, no massive bodily changes for me here at 41. I'm definitely more fit now than any time in my 20s or 30s. My lifts in the gym is still just as strong, probably far stronger now than any other time. I've essentially trained the same way since November of 1996.

I do chuckle when I read about guys getting up to pee at night. That's just never been the case for me. I empty the old chap in the morning when I get up and that's it. Can't remember a single occasion I had to get up in the night to pee, never mind multiple times.

Hair is now practically 70% grey, but hairline still exactly the same.

Put it like this, had I still gone on like I did with eating bad foods, staying up late and generally not looking after myself like I did in my 20s, I'd be in a bad place now. A bit of wisdom has finally emerged.

Associate
35 here and feeling pretty good. I've started looking after myself a little more though. Barely drink booze any more and actually have a break from sport if I have an injury. As a came into my 30's, the hangovers started to become too much; it was the cycle of having to drink more to get drunk and therefore feeling worse and worse.

Back
Top Bottom