1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Boris Johnson Premiership (24/07/2019 - ????)

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by chrismscotland, Jul 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StriderX

Capodecina

It's got different problems and it's just a smaller set of voters as well, i'm sure it'd work fine in normal circumstances, it's the strained circumstances that make this potentially viable for Labour or Tory government to abuse, by actively contorting their councils to obfuscate the process.

The only way i'd accept this, is if it was administered by the government wholesale, probably under an independent committee or agency and hopefully more useful than just for voting with a cost associated with it that isn't hidden under council tax increases or the like, just so the government can misdirect people.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  2. Greebo

Caporegime

So you are happy with 9.8 million people not being entitled to vote? That seems like a lot of people to me.

3. RDM

Capodecina

Where is this number from? Is it the number of people without a passport or driving licence? Is it the number of people with no form of photo ID at all? Is it the number of people that will, for whatever reason, not be able to get a voter ID card? Or is it the number of people being bandied around by Labour?

4. RDM

Capodecina

I am not opposed to having to show ID for voting, compared to the number of other things, much less important, that you need ID for. But without concrete proposals as to how Voter ID would be handled I'm not going to just dismiss the idea as bad.

5. Dolph

Man of Honour

This sort of fake news should result in fines for the political parties that push it.

6. StriderX

Capodecina

I assume it's just the % of people without a passport versus the potential electors (~45000000), ultimately it doesn't really matter, a single disenfranchised person is bad enough. I already own both a passport and driver's license (realistically just to travel and prove age), if i was forced to wait through my local council's domestic problems to register for a free card, i'd probably not bother, i don't want to force people who are already financially and temporally poor to risk their livelihood on some Kafkaesque hell hoping their council isn't a waste of space... just to vote.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  7. Greebo

Caporegime

Number of people without passport or driving licence. I hadnt seen the proposal that everybody will get a free photo id card. As I said, I am not against having to show ID so long as its a free and easy ID to get.

8. Jono8

Caporegime

So what do we reckon. Will he resign if he ends up having to ask for an extension, or will he just try and ride out the utter embarrassment of asking for one and then not leaving the EU on the 31st Oct?

9. Greebo

Caporegime

Show me the link to where it says people will get free photo ID and I will shut up. The Telegraph article only mentioned passport or drivers licence. If thats not true then perhaps you should vent your anger at them and not me or Labour?

10. StriderX

Capodecina

It says right at the end i think mentioning something like what NI does council wise, but i feel that's a trap frankly, especially with how stricken English councils are. Regardless until there's a bill to look over, i guess it's mostly just bluster.

11. RDM

Capodecina

Corbyn (or at least his press office) used 11m in his tweet, so it does seem to be coming from Labour.

12. Uther

Sgarrista

I don't think he'll resign now, just bluster on through. I'd be interested in hearing what some of our resident JRM fans think of him potentially now supporting Mays regurgitated WA just because it has a Boris sticker on it, even though he once referred to it as 'completely cretinous'...

13. VoG

Soldato

BJ won't resign, he'll just bluster his way through as per usual.

14. Mr Badger

Soldato

The only way Boris will quit is if it's part of some sneaky Cummings strategy to win an ensuing GE.

Also, credit where it's due, Brexiters often show a quite amazing ability to revise their position without concern about the contradictions between supporting better deal/no deal/surrender deal/no one knows deal or whatever.

15. Dolph

Man of Honour

Conservatives accused of election rigging over leaked photo ID plans

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-election-rigging-leaked-id-plans-voter-fraud

16. Greebo

Caporegime

17. Werewolf

Commissario

Interesting that the government says we'll be able to apply for a free "electoral id" from the local council, I wonder if the government will be covering the cost of providing the equipment and staffing to do so effectively*, and if they'll allow enough time to get it done before any election.

IIRC it currently takes around 6 weeks around my neck of the woods to get a "blue badge" if you're automatically eligible for one (due to PIP/DLA), for some reason I can't see any "electoral" ID taking much less time if they want to do it properly, as they'll need to allow time for ID documents to be checked and the ID to be printed with suitable anti-fraud safeguards.

This strikes me very much as a way to try and make it harder to vote, rather than a way to cut voting fraud given how badly designed many of the government websites are for submitting information, and not everyone will be able to apply online which means visits to the local council offices, most of which around my way are no longer very local and don't tend to have any facilities for things like doing ID's.

*For some reason I appear to be having auditory hallucinations at the thought of that, it sounds oddly like disbelieving laughter.

18. Eurofighter

Wise Guy

Needing ID to vote is a good idea if everyone has ID. But I think its election rigging to do it without that. And to make cash strapped councils to do it is wrong and not a good idea. It would be better being central.

19. satchef1

Mobster

The idea is fine. It's really quite sensible to require that people prove their identity before being allowed to vote.

The big question mark is over whether sufficient preparation will take place, with people having sufficient notice to ensure they remain eligible to vote. The worry being that it'll be rushed in for a snap election, resulting in potentially millions of people being unable to cast their vote.

20. robgmun

Suspended

I certainly don't think it's a proposal for the next upcoming election. I think this is something for the next one over and the Tories will organize it before calling any vote

Oh and lol:
    https://twitter.com/hammersmikey/status/1183492511999971328

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.