1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Boris Johnson Premiership (24/07/2019 - ????)

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by chrismscotland, Jul 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. satchef1

Mobster

Oh the truth is so much more fun.

The tagline of an incumbent government which has been in power for nine and a half years is...

"Britain Deserves Better"

:D

2. LOAM

Capodecina

It should be "It's a good job you're idiots"

3. PlacidCasual

Soldato

I genuinely believe a Corbyn to be an honest well meaning person. But like the majority of the UK public I see a man who stands by murderers, is embarrassed by his own country and is wedded to politics that has routinely destroyed countries in my lifetime.

Boris is a liar, he is self centred and of questionable personal moral character, like most of the UK I like him. His politics have mostly been centrist and practical, he loves his country and is willing to say so and he believes in nothing that will destroy the country and rather than be encumbered by self doubt is willing to try for practical change.

He is a much, much better candidate for PM even if he is a worse man.

4. StriderX

Capodecina

Oh boy, that's not wise, if he loves his country so much, why did he waste it's money on vanity projects (Buses that are ****, Garden Bridge mainly)?
    Why does he lie constantly about policies? Why is he misleading the populace about the last 9 years of austerity only to say "hey look at these police we totally didn't cut?" and pretend it's "new"?
    Why did he worsen a situation for a British citizen in Iran?
    Why is he constantly lying about his deal keeping the Union together when it clearly does not (Northern Ireland)?
    Why did he basically use the Mayorship of London as a holiday to pump up his image rather than actually do the job in a competent manner?
    Why did he miss meetings as Foreign Secretary with other countries?

This is before we get to his personal life which seems likely to seep into his professional by the looks of things, if that Acuri affair is actually true, he's literally the worst PM we could have.

You're seeing something that isn't there i'm afraid and now that he's finally in a position to do some damage, i feel it's a huge miscalculation. Maybe i'm wrong and he'll rise to the occasion, but his past is littered with issues that question his morality on leadership and competency to put the country first before his image.

5. Roar87

Soldato

@StriderX do you have a good word to say about the personality of anyone who is Conservative or right wing? Are there any that you don't think have some glaring personality fault?

You lose credibility when you hate every single Politician on a personal basis with opposing views

6. StriderX

Capodecina

Oh please, i want some GOOD COMPETENT people running the country, and all you can do is attack others who say the truth about how terribly **** that the apparently competent Tory party is. That isn't to say that Labour is off the hook in my books, but the Tory party is actually in government and affecting me as a citizen (and has done for the last 9 ******* years), so they have the focus of my criticism.

Tell me, was Grayling a good Transport Secretary, was Johnson a good Foreign Secretary? What about Philip Hammond, was he a good Chancellor?

I want people with experience (not just any old experience, legitimate focused experience in the area) in these positions, making decisions that make sense and not just to give their friends outside the commons a gold plated future while they **** on the public's expectation of how actual governance should be.

Until such a time said party actually shows a degree of country first motivation over chums first motivation, i won't stop criticising what is clearly little more than a facade to insult me as a citizen.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  7. Roar87

Soldato

Just to clarify you cannot say a good word about any Conservative politician? Why would anyone listen to your ramblings about Boris Johnson when the truth is that you simply have a deep hatred anyone who is Conservative. I think Corbyn is incompetent, weak, a Marxist, has zero leadership qualities to the point I wouldn't trust him to organise a stag do, but I don't hate the guy like you hate anyone who is a Tory. It's disturbing.

8. StriderX

Capodecina

Kenneth Clarke seems fine, a rigid principled person and rather unfortunate to be losing someone so learned, willing to speak up as an MP rather than another self-absorbed idiot parroting rhetoric they don't even believe. You seem to have a huge chip on your shoulder about some pointless left-right paradigm where as i just want something that actually works for the country going forward, rather than to just hide wrongdoing.

For your information Corbyn sucks, so does the majority of his ministry, so that isn't going to work on me.

9. Tony Edwards

Mobster

I have to say the irony from brexiters is enough to heat all the homes in the UK.

10. Steampunk

Soldato

Would you rather have a surgeon that you like, but will kill you on the operating table or a surgeon that you don't like but will save your life? Boris is a bluffer and a con man. He's the builder that's nice and friendly, that you really trust, but will wreck your house and run off with your money. Boris has shown time and time again that he's got no skills and no loyalty.

11. Roar87

Soldato

Well we'll see how Boris turns out, Corbyn is unelectable for most reasonable Labour voters, their alternative is the Liberal Feminists. Boris walks this I reckon. Trump and Boris until 2024.

12. Murphy

Mobster

That's a daft thing to say, it's like saying someone loses credibility when they hate every nazis or communists because of personal basis with opposing views, the view is what someone hates and that's perfectly acceptable (IMO), if someone chooses to associate themselves with a group who espouses those views the we can be fairly certain they hold the same views.

13. Roar87

Soldato

Can we just have a Political discussion without bringing the Nazi's up, it's utterly boring and tedious and the comparison isn't a valid one.

14. Murphy

Mobster

Perhaps you should reread what i said, i wasn't drawing a comparison, i was presenting a contrast, as demonstrated by naming two ideologies on opposite ends of the political spectrum.

Maybe you're being a little oversensitive when it comes that word.

15. StriderX

Capodecina

Keeping this for records.

16. PlacidCasual

Soldato

@Steampunk I’m not sure your analogy holds. But actually I think Boris has a better idea of what is good for the country than Corbyn and he’s likeable. I think Corbyn is a decent man but utterly wrong. I think Boris isn’t a good man but a likeable one and actually has a better idea of what is right and will work.

17. Martini1991

Caporegime

Tories are only full of rhetoric though and contradictions.
    One of their main contradictions for me is their wage pledge and it's such a sticking point for me that I can't see past it

18. StriderX

Capodecina

What's good for this country is neither of them getting anywhere near power, the PM doesn't think (assuming he thinks at all beyond what Cummings utters into his ear) beyond the next immediate issue going by the last few weeks, it's going to be much the same over 5 years and whatever flip-flop policies they have will stick for decades.

The fact that they're not even being honest about the damage they caused since 2010 is bad enough (trying to play the electorate for idiots) and par for the course with them, but there is an extra level of noise with a person like Johnson at the helm, at least Corbyn would be mitigated, the Tories dare not mitigate their dear leader for fear of being called traitors.

I wonder if anyone will remind them that Churchill crossed the floor at one point? Was he a traitor as well?

There's already an almighty mess with regards to extending the withdrawal period, any sane PM would do so if it risked damaging the country, but Johnson isn't sane.

19. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Last winter GE was 1935 or 1950, depending on whether you consider winter to be November to January or December to February. The last December GE was 1923.

20. StriderX

Capodecina

Yeah i was mistaken about 1918, but it was such a turbulent time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.