1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Boris Johnson Premiership (24/07/2019 - ????)

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by chrismscotland, Jul 24, 2019.

1. LOAM

Capodecina

Just a couple of weeks ago Jess Philips was openly mocked on this very forum because posters couldn't "stand her voice".

Bizarrely class prejudice even exists at the working class level against people of their own class who are operating in a seemingly higher position than they deserve.

There's probably some research paper waiting to be written about it. But you can bet your life it's fueled by people who benefit from keeping the electorate set against their own.

I read a comment the other day that was basically;

2. Uther

Sgarrista

As typified by the average Sun reading 'white van man' type (huge generalisation but...) who really do believe the Cons care about them. The Cons have been very successful at courting these sorts of people, usually with tales of immigrants, benefit scroungers, etc. They really do believe they have 'betters' who they should respect, just because they were born with a silver spoon in their mouths. Not sure that happens in a lot of other countries.They soon got upset when the Cons tried to put up NI though...

3. Mr Badger

Soldato

Still so true:

4. Cern

Mobster

Yep, all too familiar. Thing is, it's never gone away, never gotten any better. Our two tier education system constantly reinforces it, our media fuels the stereotypes. Changes tend to be superficial and token. People all too often have to wear guises to get on, or try to be something they're not. You hit on a key word there ... "genuine". If only we had more genuine people in politics, from all walks of life ans social classes.

5. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

Not only still there but growing. It starts with private schools getting tax exemptions even though they are businesses. In effect the local school who cannot get funds is paying. It is much easier to get into Russell group universities from paying schools as there is a bias working in their favour and any attempt by the Govt to address this is met with howls from the privately educated editors of rags. Yesterday I read on the BBC ruling news that the same group of people got jobs quicker and at a higher salary even if they had a lower qualification. The same people are over represented at all walks of life. That prog recently on the BBC stated that 80% of judges come from this group. It even mentioned that the Labour Party was almost like the Tory Party now in were MPs came from. This last bit I blame on the Corporatisation of political parties. This 7% is massively over represented in all walks of life.

6. cheesyboy

Capodecina

"isn't it odd that no-one has signed a witness statement to say 'this is true'....?"

Yes, quite.

7. Greebo

Caporegime

And that could be why he loses in the end.

8. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

I honestly believe the judges will bottle it.

9. Em3bbs

Mobster

How old are you out of interest?

10. Quartz

Sgarrista

Why do I have sudden memories of Whoops Apocalypse?

11. StriderX

Capodecina

The Lib Dems should have a secret policy of regulating the business hiring practice to be completely blind, though almost certainly it's not going to happen. If KPMG and Deloitte find it desirable, everyone else should.

12. Stretch

Capodecina

This has hit a rather uncomfortable nail firmly on the head.

What has seemingly got many working class people riled is that some of "their own" have managed to break free... many by doing "Micky Mouse" degrees, or moving to London to find better paid work or scraping enough money to buy a property

They don't care about the Boris's or Rees-Mogg's of this world, or Farage with his man of the people in tweed drinking a pint persona. These people are too far out of their league to cause any kind of social discomfort or feelings of regret that maybe their life could have been better if they'd just tried a bit harder.

One some level the Brexit movement seems to be a yearning to end the rat race. People want a stable and "fair wage" without having to try too hard. But those people are only relatively poorer that they were 40 years ago, so it's the wealth inequality between them and those ho have recently aspired to something better that generates feelings of being "left behind".

There is more than a hint that Brexit is as much aimed at ****ing up these people's lives than it is at improving thier own.

This kind of resentment was typified by a recent TV documentary by comedian Geoff Norcott, who is a self proclaimed working class, right wing comedian. His main gripe seemed to be that "middle class" parents play the school system by lying about their address and defrauding the catchment areas system.

He seems to have overlooked that middle class people can afford to buy a house in the catchment area. It's actually working or lower middle class people trying their best to keep up who have to resort to cheating the system.

13. Mr Badger

Soldato

Ain't too young to admit it
    And I'm not too old to lie

14. Daftbrown

Wise Guy

I just watched that. The bloke did seem bitter. Throughout I'm listening to him thinking "... And you think voting Tory and for Brexit will improve this situation?!". Hardly, mate!

I tend to agree, he appears to represent more of a "tear it all down" mentality than one of hope and aspiration. He says that voting Tory allows him upwards mobility while complaining that the working classes are being left behind. I'm not sure that computes.

I mean, the middle-aged banker's friend in the suit guffawing about loadsamoney(!) is an alright geezer "'cos he's honest" but people who do yoga and eat avocado are scum of the earth?

Sweet potato wedge with a Lafayette BBQ glaze on your shoulder much there mate?

15. Em3bbs

Mobster

Old enough to remember John Major's tenure?

In his own words:
    “As I left office the figures told the story of the fall and rise of the economy. On the day I became Prime Minister the tax burden was 36.3% per cent. On 1 May 1997 it was 36.6 per cent, which, over the span, puts our tax record in a proper perspective. During my premiership interest rates fell from 14 per cent to 6 per cent, unemployment was at 1.75 million when I took office, and at 1.6 million and falling upon my departure; and the government’s annual borrowing rose from £0.5 billion to nearly £46 billion at its peak before falling to £1 billion. The economy was growing by only around 0.5 per cent in 1990, shrinking by 1.5 per cent in 1991 before recovering to grow by 3.5 per cent in 1997. During the depths of the recession I inherited, all the economic indicators worsened, but they had all been corrected by May 1997. Above all, we had broken the inflation psychology that had so bedevilled our economy. In November 1990, the rate of inflation was 9.7 per cent. In May 1997 it was 2.6 per cent. It was a fine legacy”

16. Jono8

Caporegime

Boris simply wont risk perjury/lying to a judge.

If he does that and then some document or recording comes out that proves that he lied to the court, he will truly be finished.

17. JeditOjanen

Mobster

If Boris makes a statement of any kind, then in order to prove the truth of it the courts will have the legal right to subpoena the private Tory communications which Parliament demanded to see and the Tories refused to provide. Those communications undoubtedly show that the purpose of the prorogation was to remove Parliamentary scrutiny.

18. cheesyboy

Capodecina

I like this from John Major:

19. TJM

Wise Guy

Yup. The government's argument that 'The court may not...' is toxic for its case when it is instead expressed as 'The Prime Minister may...'.

20. Murphy

Wise Guy

Indeed, IDK who said it or even if I'll get the exact wording correct but when legislation and/or judgments that set precedence are made you should always consider how that could be used by your worst enemy, it may serve your purpose today but it may be used against you in the future.