The Boys (Amazon Prime)

Caporegime
I said he didn't look old enough to be his father not that he wasn't old enough, it's probably a case of Pegg looking young for his age and Quaid looking old for his age. However like I said it's not completely immersion breaking (like the Starlight and Deep/Maeve issue whenever she mentions growing up idolising them) though it is funny that most people who hadn't read the comics thought they were flatmates until he called him dad xD

Maeve is likely mid to late 30's, Homelander too. Deep is probably early 30's and if Starlight is either very late teens or early 20's then a decade isn't a lot.

Soldato
I don't think this constitutes spoilers because the plot is different to the comics and we've already seen enough that demonstrates the same things in a different way. It is heavily implied but not explicitly said that Homelander is emotionally manipulated by Vought because he has an inferiority complex with regard to Stillwell (who is a man in the comic) effectively he can't understand how Stillwell is unafraid and unimpressed by Homelander and how easily Stillwell treats Homelander as a child despite his obvious power. Homelander prison is a mental one of his own making, he lacks parents and seeks parental approval from Vought which is withheld and dangled as a carrot. Homelander is the stick they then show to keep everyone else in line.

Soldato
OP
LOL...turns out there was one scene filmed that Amazon insisted would be cut.

“I couldn’t quite understand why considering everything else we have in the show, but: Homelander, after being dressed down by Stilwell in episode 2, was standing on one of the Chrysler building eagles.

He pulled his pants down and started jacking off, mumbling ‘I can do whatever I want’ over and over again until he climaxed all over New York City. We shot it! Oh my God, Antony [Starr] was the BEST in that scene.

Amazon seemed to think it wasn’t necessary. I thought it told me something about his psyche. To be clear, they’ve been great, that may have been the ONLY fight I lost in Season 1.”

http://www.darkhorizons.com/the-one-scene-amazon-cut-from-the-boys/

Soldato
This series stretched the “based on the books” tag to the limit. However, wasn’t it great?!? I spent the first three episodes muttering “This is didn’t happen in the books, that’s wrong, Nononononooo”, etc but something clicked in the fourth episode and I began to really enjoy it for what it was. I like how the supes are more human than the books, and how the bad guys are the usual amoral corporate fuds.
Interesting ending and I’m curious as to where it’ll go from there.

Caporegime
There's value in not following the source material to the letter, if you can't do it, you should just remake the whole thing using it as a building block, that's fine to me. As long as the writer is fine with it, it's gucci.

Soldato
Just finished watching it, WOW!

I've no idea about the comics or backstory but really enjoyed this series, with enough action to keep the VFX crew happy but lots of properly adult conversations/topics for those who want to delve a little deeper - easily my favourite show of the year so far!

Soldato
Well I really enjoyed the The Boys tv show, but it had barely anything to do with The Boys comic.

Homelander was brilliant, really great turn.
A least one major comic plot twist was burnt to the ground by the plot change. The show was wacko and very funny but I worry where they can take the plot after that. But accept maybe my preconceptions based on the comics might be part of that.

But I don’t need to worry about spoilers because this isn’t the same IP. I wonder how a Garth Ennis feels about the throwing his story under a bus.

And finally, OMG the dolphin I laughed so hard.

Soldato
OP
Finished it last night, lost some momentum towards the end for me but quite like the big change at the end from the comic as it gives me a bit of mystery back going forward.

For those who read the comic...

Really not sure what purpose Black Noir has now that they've changed it that Homelander openly admits to having sex with/raping Becca. (This has a big question mark over it now as it's not so clear cut whether he did force himself on her or it was mutual).

I guess Noir will still be the Homelander failsafe but outside of that, with the end changed the way it has, that big twist is out the window

Soldato
Really not sure what purpose Black Noir has now that they've changed it that Homelander openly admits to having sex with/raping Becca. (This has a big question mark over it now as it's not so clear cut whether he did force himself on her or it was mutual).

I guess Noir will still be the Homelander failsafe but outside of that, with the end changed the way it has, that big twist is out the window

I agree, also the whole sub plot of Homelander questioning his own sanity is seriously at risk because the Becky episode plus the blackmail photos are a bit of a package that go together and half has been thrown out with the new plot. Also Homelanders questioning of his sanity was a significant part in his decision making process leading to the finale.

Last edited:
Associate
Finished this last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it, the wife did too. Or at least claims she did haha. Not familiar with the source material so can't compare it. Kinda wish they showed more of Deep and Black Noir's powers a bit, they kind of did nothing.

PayDay Lover
Associate
Binged it in 2 days. Superb show, verrrrrry dark. That Anthony Starr guy was a revelation - has to be an Emmy contender for that performance.

Anthony Starr was the reason I first took notice of the show, having been a huge fan of Banshee I was wondering what he might be in, and there he is as Homelander!

Soldato
OP
Anthony Starr was the reason I first took notice of the show, having been a huge fan of Banshee I was wondering what he might be in, and there he is as Homelander!

Banshee has got some of the most visceral violence i've seen on any show in recent years. The fight between the indian girl and the amish butler is just insane.

Back
Top Bottom