1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Brexit Party

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Mr Badger, May 8, 2019.

1. Mr Badger

Soldato

There are Conservative and Labour party threads but I can't see one specifically about the Brexit Party. Note I am not talking about the overall Brexit discussion thread, but the new political party for which a lot of forum members have indicated they intend to vote. My (hopefully simplistic) understanding is that the only aim of the party is to achieve a "no deal" clean break with the EU but it has no actual plan for how this will work and no manifesto or policies on any other issues. So it seems to me that the party is purely a vehicle for protest votes from those that want to leave the EU at all costs. I am intrigued as to what other people believe this party really stands for and what they think will be achieved by voting for it?

2. Martini1991

Caporegime

Don't think they're in any position to actually force a no deal brexit regardless of how many MEP's they get?

3. RedvGreen

Mobster

My understanding is that they represent 'the will of the people who vote leave' so can be taken as a protest vote made manifest. If they ever do sit in EU Parliament (which, with Farage's attendance record...) and what they contribute will be anyone's guess. I've seen EU Parliament many times and contributions from many parties are helpful, insightful and purposeful. Farage's contributions are more akin to poking fun and being critical, never any constructiveness comes of his interactions. Whilst you could argue that he represents the people who share the same view, it essentially is a deliberate sabotage of the EU to have such toxicity present in the EU which is about unity, sharing, peace and harmonising Europe (and the world?), when someone comes and uses it as grounds to agitate for the sake of it.

4. thenewoc

Mobster

5. thenewoc

Mobster

That's what you get in a democracy, people exercising their right to be heard...

6. RedvGreen

Mobster

The hypocrisy in that pledge card is that they are wanting to inspire trust in the UK democracy, yet they don't trust UK democracy to deliver Brexit.

7. chroniclard

Capodecina

Still peddling the same old guff as before, still without a plan. Fool me once.....

8. thenewoc

Mobster

Of course not because the two main parties despite pledging to honour the referendum result and standing on election manifestos to do so, have spent almost 3 years avoiding exactly that.

9. SarGara

Hitman

For me Farage was a welcome change to the norm in the manner he handled interviews, spoke frankly on subjects and on the whole seemed more genuine than the others in the various tv debates and panels he was on in the lead up to the referendum. However seeing what happened after the referendum with his whole "my work is done im off" attitude, the leaders he endorsed for UKIP who effectively killed it (Nuttall, Bolton) and his new found ego/fame with Trump and the likes seems to have changed him, or highlighted his true colours.

While im sure the new Brexit Party will do well as a protest vote of sorts against the way Brexit has been handled, to me It just comes across as another vehicle for him to continue to push his own career. No manifesto, no members just subscribers, candidates picked by him etc.

10. thenewoc

Mobster

The plan is to leave on WTO since the EU are not willing to negotiate the WA, one plan, tick!

11. VincentHanna

Capodecina

It's been explained to you about twenty times how bad "WTO terms" would be.

12. RedvGreen

Mobster

Indeed. WTO Terms are the bottom of the barrel. We have had our initial WTO proposals poo-poo'ed by several member states, which has set us back (at least) 2-3yrs. They need reworking, and then putting to review by the same states again. Ad infinitum. Our global 'enemies' can strangle us using our own will here.
    The terms we receive by being a member state of the EU are frankly amazing compared to what we could potential manage as a vastly diminishing-global-power-UK outside of the EU.

13. chroniclard

Capodecina

Is the argument not that WTO would be the starting position with a clean slate, we then take the next 50-100 years getting back to where we already are......

14. thenewoc

Mobster

The falsehood being asserted by @chroniclard was there is no Brexit Party plan, however, clearly there is, its core is printed on the pledge card which I even made easy for you by linking to.

15. Martini1991

Caporegime

And then all the problems in this country will be fixed just like that ey

16. VincentHanna

Capodecina

17. RedvGreen

Mobster

I think the plan is that the public unrest and rioting would increase which would force the aristocracy and super-rich to either be guillotined or to be exiled from the country. Restoring balance and harmony, whilst we ooze into to the guise of a deeply corrupt developing nation.

18. chroniclard

Capodecina

Its not really a plan though is it, its the same stuff as before, headline soundbites of taking back control, the Brexit party will have no say in how any of this would work.

Same as if everyone votes for Remain MEP's.

19. bayo000

Mobster

It's a pretty rubbish plan especially as they have and will not have any say on how Brexit is handled regardless how they do in EU election. If they're still around for next GE and Brexit is not resolved then that could be considered a first step. I'd still not call it a plan.

20. thenewoc

Mobster

The point is the EU elections have come about as a result of not already honouring the referendum result, this will be a fresh take on what the people want and no one can argue that the proposition isn't clearly being laid out at least with a handful of parties that are united around a single direction.