1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Brexit Party

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Mr Badger, May 8, 2019.

1. ron3003

Wise Guy

As long as you're happy to share his criminal record then go right ahead.

2. a1ex2001

Capodecina

You may have gathered that I don’t think he deserved one i’m still staggered nige pressed charges after all that free publicity he loves so much.

3. Murphy

Wise Guy

There's no such thing as bad publicity for Farage.

4. The_Abyss

Capodecina

I don't think that's entirely correct.

There's being docked pay for defrauding his employer via expenses - a crime that would see most people sacked from a normal employer: https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-eu-salary-docked-claim-misspent-public-funds

Then there's self-styled man of the people Nigel Farage boasting that he now gets paid as much as a Goldman Sachs banker. That wasn't great for him: https://www.indy100.com/article/nig...y-mep-salary-video-european-elections-8916196

His man of the people image took a further blow recently when he was forced to confess that he took a private plane from London to Strasbourg. He claimed to have paid for it himself but didn't know how much it cost. Given subsequent revelations it is highly likely that Arron Banks paid for it: https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage-private-plane-brussels-channel-4-interview-video/

What makes the last article even worse for Nigel is that he justified the private plane charter by claiming he was trying to represent the people. This people's representative has, of course, the second worst voting record in the EU parliament, bettered only by a man who was paralysed in 2014 and didn't vote thereafter. The UK's fisheries representative furthermore failed to attend 41 out of the 42 fisheries meetings. That's how he represents the people.

A man of the people for the people, standing up for democracy and fighting the elite system. All while being paid the same as a Goldman Sachs banker, fiddling his expenses, chartering private planes likely paid for by people under criminal investigation and who rarely turns up for work.

5. Murphy

Wise Guy

Sticking it to the man, the more damage he can do to the EU the better.
    Yea but whatabout Soros.
    You see that's what i mean, to him and the disaffected that are likely to support him they'll only hear what he says, they don't hear the negatives that you've highlighted, they only hear the 'represent the people' and sticking it to the man spiel, speil that they wouldn't have heard at all if it wasn't for the supposed bad publicity.

You only have to look at how some Eurosceptics were talking about the recent EU election to understand they don't care about electing politicians that they know aren't going to do their job, in fact that was a major driving force behind their reason to vote for them, let's elect people who will gum up the works and milk the system.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  6. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Oh, I agree but only up to a point. Those people who - let's say prefer to focus on the simpler sides of a debate - don't shift views often but when they do they'll turn 180 degrees.

All the evidence that Nigel Farage is a charlatan is in the open. He just needs to be constantly held to account. Like Boris Johnson, his past is packed full of lies, u-turns and inconsistencies.

7. efish

Wise Guy

Through my door today

What Scotland Really Thinks About the E.U.

(1) The small print of the leaflet, "Online polling....., March 2019 on behalf of David Coburn M.E.P. Not sure what party he belongs to now but he use to be the head of U.K.I.P in Scotland.

Leaflet does not actually give any sense of what the data from it actually looks like. The important point clearly, its independent, nothing to do with the Brexit party.

(2) Europe of Freedom and direct democracy group. The president of the European Parliament funding body for all this independent research, is one Mr N. Farage. A well known independent and impartial observer in these matters who in no way would be seeking to sow the seeds of division with emotive language rather than seeking to resolve the difficult split in Scottish public opinion here.

8. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

He is one of the common people looking out for the interests of the white working class men.

9. efish

Wise Guy

His best one was.....

David Coburn: I can't make toast because the EU

Not sure what is going on here. Perhaps his toaster was shouting down his concerns about leaving the E.U and did not understand that his concern about the evil nature of small scale domestic appliances was valid and something the nation really need to know about.

10. JRS

Capodecina

God bless these Brexit Party MEPs...'cause no other bugger would.

Thread link for the 'no embeds' folks.

If you're going to make a story up, why make one up which portrays you as the colossal end of a gigantic bell?

11. StriderX

Capodecina

It's a parody it would seem, unfortunately in these parodic times, probably close to the truth anyway.

12. garnett

Mobster

Surely a parody account.

Imagine voting for this guy...

13. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Can you post a picture of that?

14. efish

Wise Guy

Not worked out how to do that so instead.

Give some history and wider context and link to a telegraph article that gives Coburn's tweet and presents it in a fuller and sympathetic context.

Debate over energy efficiency that had been bubbling away since 2014.

On the same day of the Guardian article here is the Telegraph (clink on the article title at the bottom you will get the tweet).

More conspiratorial in tone. Evidence of the E.U seeking to interfere in peoples lives. Its a "crackdown." Being kept a secret so if remain wins by such deception as this, the 'crackdown' will be in immediate effect.

An 'assault' on tea and toast. Is the spin. We shall fight. We shall win the war.

15. Werewolf

Commissario

Re applience efficiency, I remember there being a battle between the manufacturers at one point to see who could put out the highest input power vacuum cleaner, IIRC it reached the point where some of them were hitting 2700wats input (basically the same as a fast boil kettle or two bar heater), with most of that added power going to making it louder and hotter running.

Things like toasters could probably be made more efficient simply by doing things like using an insulator so more of the heat from the element is retained in the unit as opposed to heating the sides of it, same with kettles.

But how dare the EU introduce rules that are good for both the enviroment, and my wallet - I've had to resort to putting an electric fire and loud stereo on every time I run the hoover, that'll show Johnny Foriner!!!!!!

16. efish

Wise Guy

How David Coburn's toaster helped win the war against environmental protection, energy efficiency & security and lower energy bills :eek:.

The end.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  17. Stretch

Capodecina

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  18. Murphy

Wise Guy

You lost, get over it.

19. RedvGreen

Mobster

20. Father Ted

Wise Guy

Rerun a public vote because of potential irregularities - sounds like a good idea to me...