1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Brexit Party

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Mr Badger, May 8, 2019.

1. D.P.

Caporegime

And the democratically elected HoC voted to prevent a no deal Brexit.

2. Jimbeam3678

Capodecina

You could argue tales like that are what got us into this mess :(

EDIT when I say tale I don't mean I don't believe it. Story is maybe a better word to use:)

3. Freakbro

Capodecina

HAHAHAHAHA

I was just waiting for you to shift the Goalposts and there it is, you are so boringly predictable :D

4. garnett

Mobster

Thanks for posting that.

It clearly demonstrates the problem with such clunky democracy, and more specifically, the problems with trying to interpret "protest" votes.

5. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

Well said Gordy.

I am finding it quite difficult on some of these threads to keep my cool with some of the posters.

However I feel the responsibility to balance them off, to not allow their voice to drown out more sensible moderate people (on all sides as i consider people like rob to be exactly this despite having differing views in general)

I dont use this word lightly but I actually consider some of them to be on the verge of being evil. People will likely take this out of context, so before they do i will post the first three synonyms associated with evil "wicked, bad, wrong" So yeah I think that describes the rabid brexiteers well.

6. The Funktopus

Mobster

My wife’s a primary school teacher, working in a particularly deprived part of Liverpool. During the 2016 referendum several of her colleagues, mainly middle aged female teaching assistants who’ve spent their entire working lives on low incomes, living in social housing in the area and depending on various benefits to get by which had been slashed repeatedly in the years running up to the referendum, voted leave as a ‘protest vote’, as in their words, “things can’t get any worse for us”....

7. The_Abyss

Capodecina

I've clearly and repeatedly asked the question. No response was provided.

I don't know - did the Russian's program that response in the algorithm? Or, being slightly less cynical, is there the capacity to question, self-analyse and be self-aware?

8. physichull

Sgarrista

Agreed.

I completely don't understand protest votes. It makes no sense to me. Surely you are doing more good by voting for the entity that most aligns with your personal leanings. That's why I'd never vote for somebody whom doesn't align with my leanings just "to make a point". You make more of a point by putting your cross in the box with the party that most aligns with your views.

9. simpletom

Wise Guy

Brexit may have appealed to those on low incomes, but a poll in the place I work, also in Liverpool, showed that the young people who were ineligible to vote and are now of voting age are firmly remain.

It appears it may be a generational issue more than simply income.

10. Roar87

Soldato

I wasn't going to vote yesterday as I was so tired after work I couldn't be bothered training and had a nap, but then some girl posted that she was voting to "make sure the racists don't get in", so I went and voted for the Brexit Party.

11. VincentHanna

Capodecina

She didn't say who she meant, and yet you voted for the Brexit party to spite her.

Interesting.

12. StriderX

Capodecina

Makes sense...

13. chroniclard

Capodecina

Cant really put it down to a single issue. Old age, dementia, bigotry, stupidity, protest voting, ignorance, personally profiting, delusion, lots of reasons.

14. Roar87

Soldato

I didn't vote to spite her, I always intended to vote for the Brexit Party, but there's clearly plenty of people who think anyone with opposing views to them is a racist.

15. JRS

Capodecina

Much like how there are clearly plenty of people who think anyone with opposing views to them is a traitor to the country...

16. Roar87

Soldato

I mean wanting your country to ignore a referendum and submit law making to a supranational European government, you can maybe see where they're coming from, though yes it's a little harsh

17. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

This is a very important point , when people feel they have nothing to lose any change is seen as worth the risk.

18. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

Which EU law has caused significant economic damage to the UK ?

19. JRS

Capodecina

It's "a little harsh".

Calling me a traitor to this country for wanting it to remain in the EU, to have a say in the direction of that union and to not suffer the at best uncertainty, at worst catastrophic damage of a no-deal exit from the EU is "a little harsh".

Yeah. Sure. Okay.

*Spock eyebrow*

And I'm not sure where "submit law making to a supranational European government" even comes from, perhaps you could fact me or **** off on that? Last I checked, we could indeed make laws all by ourselves. There might be the checks-and-balances of the EU to stop any government going right off of the reservation with that law-making, but that's not the same thing at all.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  20. Roar87

Soldato

I haven't called you a traitor, I accept both sides deep down want the best for their country. People just have different values and beliefs. For me a government that isn't directly elected by UK citizens making UK laws isn't something I'm happy about. I don't accept the EU's system of democracy where by only the commission can put forward new laws for proposal. I think we should be moving towards smaller governments as there's less room for corruption, not additional layers with more Politicians earning huge amounts of tax payer money and being given powers to enrich their friends and family.