The burning question, would a hybrid be better for me?

Underboss
Taking a long hard look at things and one hard look at car savings

Suppose I don't have a car at present, petrol or hybrid in this situation ?

Leave for work around 5:30am 5 days a week, drive around 5-6 miles to work
Leave work at 3, come straight home, so another 5-6 Miles

One of the days I do this journey around 6pm, so that day becomes double miles

Other days I could be doing this again other days 20 miles more

Odd occaation I visit my mate who lives 100 or so miles away

Plug in is a no no. No where to plug it in, also I use it frequently (6/7 days a week)

Averaging 7000 Miles a year

Associate
Hybrid should return very good mpg, especially considering that petrol is slightly cheaper than diesel.
The only issue with Hybrid is when some retired granny drives 1 mile journey,s, all the time, the battery won't get enough charge.
But for your driving, a hybrid should be perfect.
My brother's new Corolla is returning 50/52mpg, measured.
Slightly less than my 2.0d A Class, about 1 or 2 mpg.
But none of the diesel worries, and the regeneration.
Just make sure you install some kind of protection around the catalytic converter. Plenty of MF stealing them.

Soldato
Just get a smaller naturally aspirated petrol, 1.4.

A 1.4 petrol fiesta for example, is getting about 45mpg, much cheaper, much simpler, cheaper to fix, and there are tons to be picked up. Still puts out 94bhp.

I think if you run the maths including everything you'll need to own the Hybrid a long time before you start getting a return.

That is assuming you want ownership, these lease deals etc blow all the maths out.

Soldato
Anywhere to plug in at work? I agree with @M1k3H that an electric car would work nicely for these short trips. Even a 100 mile trip should be no sweat for most things.

Your main benefit from a hybrid will be pure electric use which relies on being able to plug it into the mains presuming there's little traffic and you're below motorway speeds. A non-plug in hybrid will be beneficial for city work with stop start traffic.

My personal view would be that a 5-6 mile commute would be ideal for a bicycle, but I appreciate it's not always that straightforward and not a very "motors" friendly answer.

Underboss
OP
Anywhere to plug in at work? I agree with @M1k3H that an electric car would work nicely for these short trips. Even a 100 mile trip should be no sweat for most things.

Your main benefit from a hybrid will be pure electric use which relies on being able to plug it into the mains presuming there's little traffic and you're below motorway speeds. A non-plug in hybrid will be beneficial for city work with stop start traffic.

My personal view would be that a 5-6 mile commute would be ideal for a bicycle, but I appreciate it's not always that straightforward and not a very "motors" friendly answer.

Plug in is not an option, nor is bike due to health issues

Just need to know if petrol or hybrid is best for me, which would yield better saving over the next 10+ years

Associate
The problem with hybrids is that they only seem to be available in fairly tragic cars.

If you had said that 3 years ago I’d agree but there’s a wide range now isn’t there?

For a start I have a BMW G30 hybrid. I’ll admit I don’t really like it but I think thats because I sold an XKR to buy it.

Are you calling the G30 or even the Volvo s90 etc tragic?

If I was coming from a similar performance car I’m sure it would be great. The build quality, ride and economy (I got 85mpg average over the summer and now 65 in winter) is great. It’s just not a sports car (which I miss)

—— Okay now I see he says no plug-ins... perhaps that different.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Used i3 REX? Technically not a hybrid, but would suit this type of mileage surely?

They do charge from the range extender, right?
This would be my suggestion too, is it not possible to charge a car overnight @ShiWarrior?

The REx provides power to the batteries so you don’t cook out but I don’t think it charges it per se.
From what I understand it’s just provides enough power to keep going until your next charging point.

FWIW, the new i3 & i3S have double the range of the original and they have discontinued the REx.

Back
Top Bottom