1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** The Car Cleaning Thread ***

Discussion in 'Motors' started by wassap, Jun 20, 2008.

1. D0uche69

Associate

You will need plenty of plush cloths for wiping down each section after polishing.

I would advise getting a pad brush then and use it after each section... they work well too.

If you haven't bought polish yet then go for a low dust water based such as Zvizzer, Angelwax or CarPro they all do AIO.

2. Greboth

Mobster

Yeah, I've got polish and everything else already from doing my car. I machined my car over several weekends due to time (and weather) constraints so I could full wash the pads between each session. I'm hoping to do the whole car over a weekend if possible so just wanted to check I didn't need more pads than I have.

3. mrk

Man of Terrible Jokes

Not for the faint hearted...

4. adam cool dude

Sgarrista

I have seen a lot worse TBH. I am subscribed to Autoshine Cars. He doesn't have the fancy setup (white walls and bright lights seems to be the go to "detailers shop") but does an equally good job. I don't know why but I find it oddly therapeutic to watch these videos.

5. Greboth

Mobster

Not dirty but had to deal with an extremely mouldy car as it had been stood for 3 years and unbeknown to me had a cracked and leaking window. I can't find any other pictures but this is one of the mats.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Diagro

Sgarrista

Bin it burn it

7. akaFonzie

Hitman

Watched the CT vid yday, that Omega was proper grotty! Much nicer after they spent 55 hours cleaning it, surprising!

I asked ages ago about a hose replacement for the karcher that didn't tie itself up like it was into Japanese bondage, but after to-ing and fro-ing I may just settle for the replacment from Halfords, since it comes with a new trigger, is Karcher, and apparently much more supple. Also, it's about the same price as a non-oem hose anyway!
    After an anger related incident with my cheap buckets (note to self; don't sit them in one another whilst wet) I may go for some Meguiars ones since they're fairly cheap.

How many of you use detailer boi buckets, and if so what ones?

8. Muska

Wise Guy

I've had this on my radar for hose replacement and a shorter gun.

I use a pair of Meguiars buckets with Grit guards. They do the job well enough but there may be cheaper options out there.

9. akaFonzie

Hitman

Aye, I've done a fair bit of reading up on Directhoses as they were my first choice.. Apparently the quality is hit and miss, but if anything goes wrong you're basically boned as the customer service is non-existent unless you live close to them!

Mkay cool, may well settle on them then!

10. Muska

Wise Guy

Good to know thanks!

11. akaFonzie

Hitman

Considering payment is paypal though, may just take a punt if it doesn't work out claim through there. Unsure!

12. robj20

Sgarrista

My 20m hose from direct hoses is top quality.
    Got my short trigger from in2detailing.

13. akaFonzie

Hitman

Good to hear some positives Rob, I may still go for theirs anyway considering it comes with a short gun for not much more than the Karcher model!

14. D0uche69

Associate

I also have a 10m hose with QR for my Nilfisk from DH and it's excellent plus a short gun (from CYR) is a massive improvement.

15. beachBOYken

Sgarrista

Just purchased a Bilt hamber medium clay bar, on the instructions it says to wash car again after use, is this step really necessary?

I ask because I plan to wash my car, clay bar it, then polish it with a DA and then seal it with wax or ceramic sealant. Washing again after claying seems a bit pointless if I'm going to be polishing.

16. Muska

Wise Guy

I don’t think I’ve ever done a full hand wash when using clay, just a good rinse.

17. hartgeh3

Wise Guy

I would use a strong wash solution to get as much crap off as possible, use iron fallout if you have any too, then clay bar and wash again as normal to remove any left over junk. Then move onto polishing/protecting the car.

18. beachBOYken

Sgarrista

I'm only going to do a few panels at a time when I polish my car, I will do a quick wash over after then. Cheers

19. Muska

Wise Guy

20. rhysduck

Soldato

I take it it was half the price of the current £63 and not that £63 is half price ?