1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** The Car Cleaning Thread ***

Discussion in 'Motors' started by wassap, 20 Jun 2008.

1. MrRockliffe

Mobster

[​IMG]

Triple wash at the weekend :cool:

Still can’t stand the black wheels. Can’t believe someone had them powder coated in black :(

They’re 442M - should look like this: https://i.redd.it/l9f61nkwkfe31.jpg

2. Dave85

Sgarrista

I did suspect the ole video magic on some of those kit videos on youtube as just seems to good to be true. :p

3. hartgeh3

Wise Guy

Invisible Glass

4. Kei

Mobster

Got some more Koch Chemie goodies. Pss for the exterior plastics and S0.02 sealant. Also got some Scholl concepts polishing pads as I quite liked the violet/orange flex pads but they are more expensive. I'm thinking of trying some Uro fibre pads too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Oct 2021
  5. norm

Soldato

Built myself a little sun gun using the cheapest 12v cordless drill from ebay and a Solux MR16 bulb, for use when polishing the paintwork. :) As inspired by this thread on detailingworld https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=205820

The light it gives off is amazingly bright and shows up any little imperfection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Rroff

Man of Honour

It almost works but not quite. I actually quite like black wheels on the right car - some seem to have an irrational hatred of it.

7. MrRockliffe

Mobster

The annoying thing about it in my scenario is that the wheels are 442m, which are lovely.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BMW/comments/clw3ot/i_couldnt_find_a_pic_of_the_442m_wheel_painted/

Edit: forgot I’d already shown what they should look like :p

Worse still, the original wheels were 403m, which are my favourite :)

8. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

It should be fairly inexpensive to get them painted back into the OEM colour. That and the removal of those silly stickers on the side skirts and it'll look fantastic given the paint colour. It looks a bit McDonalds carpark at the moment but those two tweaks and it'll be back to looking great.

9. MrRockliffe

Mobster

Won’t the diamond cut need redoing? Is that even possible once powder coated?

Don’t know what you mean about the stickers though? :( I love people knowing my 320d is an mperformance version ;)

I think the wheels were done by BHP, where the car was purchased from a few years ago. They chav up all their cars before selling.

10. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

You could get them done in one of the BMW OEM silver paint colours without the diamond cut? The diamond cut is a nuisance anyway and IMO never looks that great. A painted finish is easy to look after and easy to repair if they ever get damaged.

11. MrRockliffe

Mobster

Very true

Loos quite nice in silver: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1536899

12. Housey

Man of Honour

Just gave mine a snow foam, jet wash and dry off, no hand wash and amazed how well it’s come up. Car meet Sunday so can’t look mucky.

13. dLockers

Sgarrista

Going to try and get the car winter ready tomorrow. I plan to:
    1. BH Snowfoam
    2. AG Shampoo
    3. BH Clay with Megs Rapid Detailer
    4. AG Ultra Deep Shine
    5. AG Quick Ceramic

I've also bought some magma for the wheels. I might try and seal them with Gtechbiq C5 but it won't come in time. Maybe given my low mileage I'll just use the rapid ceramic too.

Any comments?

14. hartgeh3

Wise Guy

15. MrRockliffe

Mobster

Yeah that’s what the Z4’s wheels are finished in - definitely a nice colour but they look dirty quickly

Hence why I thought maybe it would be worth going grey

16. hartgeh3

Wise Guy

At least they will turn into a shade of grey if you have pads which love to create brake dust lol

Get some decent ceramic coating for the wheels, will look less dirty and blast crap off instantly with a pressure washer. I used CarPro Dlux on mine.

17. V_R

Sgarrista

Gave it a right good clean today (foam, two buckets, decon) and a coat of Autoglym Rapid Ceramic spray. I've decided the tyre dressing I've got isn't great, needs a good couple of coats to make it look decent. Time to find something better.

When spring hits its going in for a polish, I've decided!

[​IMG]

18. RussZS

Hitman

If you're working outside, then put your clay into some hot water first, to soften it up a bit - makes it nicer to use and less likely to do any damage.

SRP is probably better than UDS if you have that?

I would only try and do C5 on a warm day with low moisture. Just use the Rapid Ceramic stuff instead for now, so they're easier to clean next time,.

19. chroniclard

Capodecina

Lovely colour. :cool: Has it got a few swirls?

20. dLockers

Sgarrista

My car cleaning adventure was cancelled so next weekend it is. Is SRP really better than UDS? I thought it was the "same" but better for darker cars?