1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Conservative Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gigabit, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigabit

Mobster

May's lost her majority and I think will inevitably resign. The issue is that I don't think there is anybody remotely charismatic to replace her. They don't have a Cameron or a Blair that I can see.

In addition to that, I think the Tories are now fundamentally distrusted on Brexit, social care and health. The young I don't think will ever vote for them and will presumably increase their numbers at the next election now they know they can make a difference. The Tories also have lost some of the elderly support they have had for some time.

The slim majority the Tories have I think will come back to bite them. I wouldn't be surprised if the Queen's speech gets voted down by some of their own MPs and a vote of no confidence is tabled. It only takes a few MPs to dissent. This puts them in a rather unstable position and I'm not sure the DUP will help in the long term. Another election is therefore inevitable, much sooner than five years I think.

So, where do they go from there? I can't see a clear route and I think another election will happen soon, where the Tories may get utterly wiped out.

2. Dolph

Man of Honour

I can think of a few people who could lead, some of the may even want to.

Amber Rudd performed really well during the election campaign, but she could be vulnerable due to her seat.

I like Johnny Mercer as well, nice chap, former captain in the armed forces, leans towards remain or soft Brexit. Increased his majority again this year in what was previously regarded as a labour safe seat until 2015. This was his maiden speech in the commons.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...ny-Mercer-MP-should-make-you-think-again.html

Boris is always about, very charismatic but comes with a lot of baggage.

May needs to be a caretaker PM in my view, get something moving then get out of the way.

3. StriderX

Capodecina

"Caretaker" is a very soft word for what she is.

4. Uther

Sgarrista

I just cannot see how they can go forward with support from the DUP, they are completely at odds with modern values and toxic. The longer they are linked, the worse it will be for the Conservatives.

5. DeathStorm

Hitman

How about they get a leader that actually believes in something?

6. JeditOjanen

Mobster

I know where the Tories can go from here, but the swear filter won't let me tell you. Hint: it ends with "themselves".

7. jeff83nz

Gangster

Ruth Davidson. If it is Iain Duncan Smith, Boris, or Gove I shall be booking a one way ticket out of here

8. platypus

Caporegime

An odd conclusion at best, and I hope her slim majority means they don't risk her, she's almost as odious as May.

Ruth Davidson is the only one who seems to have handled herself well, but could you imagine how happy the DUP would be with her?

9. cheesyboy

Capodecina

For Ruth Davidson to take the reigns, you'd need to parachute her into a by-election win. She's not an MP

10. platypus

Caporegime

It'd have to be sometime in the future obviously, or if May resigns it might just be time for another election.

11. Glaucus

Man of Honour

this would be the ideal leader, far more moderate, but unless Tories are happy to go backwards and lose the next GE, they need to oust May asap. they need to get rid of her extreme ideas like ripping up Human rights, internet encryption law, no deal is better than bad deal on Brexit and many of her other things(DUP). The good news for Tories if they act soon, she campaigned under May not as tories and they can shift the blame to her, but there's only a short window for this.
    If they did change leader and moved slightly towards centre ground, i think they would easily win a majority at GE, if they carry labour should have little issue winning.

12. Stretch

Capodecina

Ruth is too smart to lead the party now. Any leader is going to be pulled apart by the scheming and uncontrollable rabble. They should put John Major in charge, he's got the experience.

13. JeditOjanen

Mobster

The Conservatives don't have a requirement for the party leader to be an MP, it's just expected. Only the Liberal Democrats require their leader to be a sitting MP.

14. StriderX

Capodecina

Yeah... no one in England is going to just accept a random person from North of the border being PM.

15. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Ok. I don't think it would go over well, though. All that 'will of the people ' chat and an unelected party leader.

16. RDM

Capodecina

She could be leader of the Conservatives but I don't think she can be Prime Minister without being an MP. Although our constitution isn't written and a lot of the powers and position of PM have come about via convention they need to command a majority in the House of Commons and answer to the House of Commons which effectively means they need to be an MP.

17. Rilot

Don

I'd like to see Ken Clarke at the helm. Never going to happen though because he's far too moderate for the bulk of the Tory party. I don't think he'd want to at his age either.

18. wildman

Soldato

actually this. Even if they believe in fairies and elves, at this stage someone is needed who will actually stand up with some conviction and say this is my stall and the stall for the party, this is what we believe in and here is how we are going to go about doing it. All we get from the Tories and all we have had from them now for nearly a year are meanigless sound bites in a vain attempt to get people to blindly just tick the box that says Tories. If you ask an average joe off the street what they stand for you will get a bingo card of ******** back such as, they stand for the national interest, they stand for a strong and stable government, they stand for what ever May decideds when she gets up in the morning

19. Chris Wilson

Mobster

Reigns: Monarchical guidance by royalty

Reins : Equestrian guidance by leather thongs

So you'd have to parachute her into Harry's bedroom and give him a lot of dosh for her to take the reign :)

20. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Damn :p:( Usually pride myself on somewhat decent spelling, punctuation, grammar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.