1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Conservative Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gigabit, Jun 10, 2017.

1. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

I don't think anybody would have an issue with discussing the various merits of children today vs children in the year xxxx, if you can provide some kind of study of stats or anything that equates to more than "I think they were better back then" then I'm sure we can have a reasoned debate.

2. Faustus

Soldato

I'm hardly advocating a return to Tom Brown's school days - funny.

3. Faustus

Soldato

I suspect evidence is a bit thin on the ground as debate was substituted with ''this is what should happen and this is what shouldn't'.

4. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

And now you see why nobody wants to play with you. You suggest people don't want to engage because they will find the truth uncomfortable, and then can't back that up with anything other than nostalgia.

5. Faustus

Soldato

But I wasn’t responsible for ending a system that had its merits for something new and untried. It was one of the biggest social experiments of our time initiated by HMG. If evidence exists then it’s a bit thin on the ground, purposely I suspect.

6. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

If you think an inability of an adult to not just control but teach a child how to behave means physical violence is needed against the child then I feel very sorry for you.

Trying to hide behind claims of emotive language and it was OK for me when condoning physical violence on a child due to an adult not being able to control and advise reveals a great deal.

The role of an adult is to teach and support children not beat them due to being in a frustrating situation they feel they can't control. That is putting aside the legal implications.

7. Faustus

Soldato

I look to a well used maxim ‘spare the rod and spoil the child’. Why do you think new thinking is superior.

8. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

Put another way what situations have you been in when beating children was the only reasonable way to resolve them ?

9. Faustus

Soldato

If I ever had a moments hesitation that the old system might not be the best I look at the evidence all around us. Today’s society is nasty and full of vile individuals and I believe is the product of this grand social experiment.

10. Rroff

Man of Honour

Personally I think too many kids spending their childhood dumped in front of the TV and/or with both parents working is more to blame than the lack of the rod.

11. Uther

Sgarrista

Didn't Thatcher have something to say about 'society'?
    Today's society is the fault of a Conservative government that thinks food banks are a great idea, with homeless figures going nowhere but up.

12. Faustus

Soldato

On that we can agree. Latch key kids was never a good idea.

13. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

So your argument is let's start hitting kids again because feelings? You've given as much evidence to support your claim as I have to support the suggestion that the decline in the popularity of the mullet has led to an increase in obesity.

14. RDM

Capodecina

Again, speaking only from experience, those children most likely to be problematic are also the kids most likely to have parents use corporal punishment. I also get slightly concerned about people that think hitting kids will solve problems despite all of the evidence that says otherwise. But hey, who needs evidence anyway.

15. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

“Put another way what situations have you been in when beating children was the only reasonable way to resolve them ?”

That was the question I asked you so I could understand your view better. Could you give a few real life examples ?

16. Faustus

Soldato

Where is the evidence for either of your sweeping statements?

I just been watching an article on the news showing anti-social behaviour on buses. The feature stated some of the worst behaviour is by school children. Things have now got so bad that Police are travelling on the buses in order to offer saftey to other passengers. I believe this is the product of a lack of discipline in the home at school and by society at large.

It's come to something when buses are no longer safe.

17. RDM

Capodecina

Was the “from my experience” not indicative enough that it is from my experience of working with youngsters? As to the latter, weren’t the studies not mentioned earlier in the thread? I know you were asked for some actual evidence that hitting children leads to better outcomes?

18. chroniclard

Capodecina

Discipline does not equal beatings. Just face facts, your views are 40 years out of date and have no basis in reality any longer. :)

19. Arthur Hucksake

Mobster

Some interesting topics being debated here currently. My old man tells me about how things use to be and that teachers were cruel at his Catholic school. The difference being if a teacher hit him as "punishment" he would swing hooks back at them.

Even back then he saw that as being self defence.

Such punishment hindered his education and this isnt for doing anything drastic. Just talking out of turn would get you hit .

20. Faustus

Soldato

Out of date, out of favour does not mean those views are not valid.

I believe the behaviour I reference in my post 5757 demonstrates that this liberal social experiment has not worked and has made society a more unpleasant place and is an abject failure.

Just one example among many.