1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Conservative Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gigabit, Jun 10, 2017.

1. stockhausen

Capodecina

I love that a divorced MP who had the whip withdrawn by the Labour Party after allegations that he had sent inappropriate messages to a former female member voted to support Theresa May. I doubt that he would be returned as an MP in any General Election.

2. Dolph

Man of Honour

Purging is a classic hard left behaviour for a reason.

3. StriderX

Capodecina

What? What's that got to do with him being a class A *******? Also seems mighty irrelevant considering the US during McCarthy era purging.

4. Dolph

Man of Honour

You haven't noticed that all the labour mps turned independents spoke against Corbyn?

5. StriderX

Capodecina

Why wouldn't they? It's hardly news that a majority of this party don't want him, if they felt the need to abandon their position in the Labour Party because of him, then i can't really tell if it was courageous or cowardly, i guess it's up to their own thought process for that.

But to vote for a party that you're supposed to be mostly opposed to, especially after 8-9 years of policies that have probably damaged their constituency, I'm not sure there's any justification for that, revenge is not a justifiable reason when you're meant to represent your constituents without that sort of childishness. I'd seriously question whether they ever cared at all.

6. RDM

Capodecina

Only 1 independent voted against the VONC. He didn’t leave the party but had the party whip withdrawn for allegations of sexual harassment. Others may have spoken out against Corbyn but did not vote against the VONC.

7. StriderX

Capodecina

Regardless it's somewhat irrelevant considering the numbers, the DUP were never going to vote otherwise, don't really care too much for a turncoat who may or may not have sexually harassed someone.

Far more interested in how exactly the Tories plan on moving forward.

8. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

Erm, if you are talking about John Woodcock that isnt correct Im afraid.

9. Rroff

Man of Honour

As they always have I'd assume - they will see a win like this not a shot across the bows but vindication.

10. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

while shouting at the fleeing rats "You need us more than we need you"

11. CapitalOne

Wise Guy

This version of the Tories are finished (thank god). The only reason they are still in power is through deal making and lack of a credible alternative. I realise you are unlikely to ever have a government you are proud of, but this is a carry on film and embarrasing!

12. dowie

Caporegime

Well it is a bit farcical as a result of the deep divisions thanks to breast, however I doubt the opposition would have done a better job with Corbyn in control.

13. CapitalOne

Wise Guy

Agreed. It's a choice between 2 different flavours of equally bad.

14. JeditOjanen

Mobster

The only reason they're still in power is the Fixed Term Parliament Act. If it weren't for that then May's deal would have constituted a confidence motion and they'd have had to go to the polls.

15. doodah

Capodecina

Jesus Christ, Boris is turning more and more into Trump. Desperate and increasingly deceitful.

16. Dolph

Man of Honour

Yep, Boris has been an utter disgrace today.

17. Rroff

Man of Honour

It would be interesting to see what would happen if those that weren't on the frontbenches/prominent in politics got to run the country for a few weeks hah.

18. SPG

Soldato

Radio 4 was seeming to indicate quite a few Tories would like to see the party split...interesting times for a party of liars/cheats/money grabbers and generally screw you over me.

19. Mr Jack

Capodecina

It's difficult to see how it would. The cost is too high, and it's just too difficult in the UK's broken electoral system for new parties to establish. A split would leave neither part in power.

20. PlacidCasual

Soldato

Ironically leaving Europe in a profoundly definite fashion would do more to re-unite the Conservative Party than anything else. Because once the largest bone of contention is removed the variances on other matters are much more analogue rather than the digital positions on Europe.