1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Conservative Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gigabit, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lemin

Mobster

QUOTE,,,
    Philip Davies, the master of filibuster and friend to rogue landlords

Other Bills he has helped talk out include:

• Stopping rogue landlords evicting tenants who ask for basic repairs
    • Regulating payday lenders
    • Getting smoke detectors fixed in rented properties as standard
    He should be arrested !

2. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Mercer should be s strong candidate for the future, but given the current turmoil he's probably stronger still as a more open and inclusive centre-leaning politician who isn't tainted by a long political-only career.

A pipe dream, particularly given the behaviour of our media, but I'd really like to see a candidate who's a genuine leader but who, in leading, builds and develops a strong team and makes it clear that they cannot and do not know everything. I neither want nor expect a leader to be bogged down in detail. They should be surrounded by people who can brief them on the salient points, for sure, and should have leaders of departments who do have access to detailed information but no more.

The expectations of 20th and 21st century prime ministers is that they know everything and have to deal with everything personally. I hesitate to use the Grenfell tragedy as an example (if you want to call me out on that, just refer me to the main thread) but in my view, the role of the prime minister is to ensure that he / she charges the relevant people and departments within the government / civil service responsible for handling the matter. If the prime minister is dragged into detail of every other thing that comes up, there'll never be any strategic direction or leadership for the nation as it will be constantly firefighting and endless briefing. A business run in the way our current governments are expected to run would underperform and likely fail.

Anyway, just my view on the back of Mercer being a good candidate. Given his background he would probably understand what good leadership looks like, and the importance of empowering others without fear of losing control.

3. JeditOjanen

Soldato

I'm slightly confused by this post. David Davis is not Philip Davies.

4. Lemin

Mobster

Oops sorry, had a few too many that day, broke my rule no drunk posts !!
    but torys are all the same.

5. Pudney

Soldato

No the Tories aren't all the same, Cameron and Osborne were far more liberal than May, Clarke is a prominent Europhile and seems a nice bloke, Goldsmith has strong principles about defending his constituency even against the party line.

This is why politics is so screwed in this country, people just spout off tired clichés without considering factual evidence to the contrary.

6. JeditOjanen

Soldato

Cameron and Osborne were full on neoliberals pushing their austerity agenda to the detriment of everyone who isn't rich. Saying they're nicer than known rape enabler and open fascist Theresa May is not a compliment.

I have no problem whatsoever with making the generalisation that all Thatcherites are scum. They're just different varieties of scum.

7. Top_gun

Gangster

Doesn't matter who's the next leader is going to be. The Tories are liars but they always had the right wing press to cover their arse. I think the real backlash against the Tories will start once momentum can properly explain the depth of the Tory false narrative. I believe the right wing press are no longer the main political influencer, compared with previous elections, as they couldn't stop a surge in support for Corbyn during the last election campaign. Smashing the right wing press could severely dent the prospect of future tory governments.

8. Mr Jack

Capodecina

I'd have loved him to be leader but I think his time has passed. If I wanted to see the Tories succeed I'd say Sajid Javid was a good option. The major names kicked around seem dire, and unlikely to improve on May.

9. doodah

Capodecina

The election expense claim, which I believe was also uncovered by C4, looked bad at first but was essentially a slap on the wrist and the Tories are not the only ones who have done it.

The call centre scandal just breaking out certainly looks more damaging, especially with a severely weakened leader and party.

10. Stretch

Capodecina

I can't read the full article because of the pay wall, but this dose spell out the crisis of leadership which exist within the Tory party.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-generation-install-younger-face-next-leader/

Right, I agree.

Hmm, my lord.

11. dalehitchy1

Perma Banned

Not that I'd vote for Tories unless they had a massive change.... But

I think Ruth Davidson would be a popular choice. She's young and so unlike alot of the Tories. she would win a lot of votes for the Tories in Scotland and probably gain more support in England too compare to may. They'd probably get the majority back.

12. Stretch

Capodecina

And this is the problem.

The party has always done the dirty on left leaning leaders. I'm not sure she could lead with the contingent of unruly right wingers currently on the loose.

It's the party that needs to change, not just the leadership. It's full of too many ******.

13. StriderX

Caporegime

A lot of Ruth's support is also not what she wants in reality, being that she's probably the most liberal conservative there is. The problem in Scotland is that two elections now have had huge surges for completely different reasons, what if huge surges are just the norm now?

She could lose half her MPs next time for what's going on currently.

14. stewski

Mobster

The odds of Tories in Scotland getting anywhere near the current number at the next election are around 0.

15. PlacidCasual

Soldato

Do you think there is much more vote out there for the Conservatives than the 42.6% they got at the last election? I would say the problem is not that they did badly or failed to pick up votes that were available but that Corbyn rallied the Labour vote back and pulled away lots of voters from left leaning other parties. If May had done 1% better it would have exceeded the vote of any party in the last 40 years. I suppose a small swing of younger voters away from Labour to the Conservatives would have some impact, but Blair got 150 seat majorities on lesser proportions of the vote than May got.

16. JeditOjanen

Soldato

Not to mention that the DUP would immediately walk out on the C&S agreement they just made. Davidson is a gay Scottish woman married to a Catholic, it's basically impossible to find someone the Orangemen could hate more.

17. StriderX

Caporegime

Nope, end of the road for the Tories, all down hill from this point, just wish Labour would offer PR on the table.

Right now, they only stand to lose 2 seats hypothetically, disregarding a change in voting pattern.

18. dowie

Caporegime

thought this was amusing (hope this is OK to share in here/on topic - apologies and pls delete if not suitable for SC)

[​IMG]

19. efish

Wise Guy

Ruth Davidson is getting a lot of good press but no scrutiny. I watched two journalist's note after the election that one of her strong points was that she had a clear policy agenda and everyone knew what she stood for. At the election all the lit we got through the door from Ruth had only one message we are not the S.N.P.
    Something of a media love in in regard to Ruth, which for a politician is no bad thing but she is an untested option and I have no idea what she stands for other than the Union.

20. JeditOjanen

Soldato

Davidson doesn't stand for anything, not even the Union. Initially she didn't even criticise the DUP deal, despite it representing her party hopping into bed with a bunch of people who quite literally want to kill her wife.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.