1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Conservative Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gigabit, Jun 10, 2017.

1. thenewoc

Mobster

Change of PM probably won't make any difference. As I've said previously the main parties need to split, Labour already has in a way with formation of Change UK but that then leaves Labour needing to then become a party of UK independence or split remain further and also create a Labour EU party. Same goes for Conservatives, they need to split into a Conservative EU party and the rest join The Brexit Party or form a Conservative UK Independence party.

2. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

Brexit is one policy amongst many for each of those MPs, it may be the only one where some of them don't agree with the overall party. I can't see them wanting to leave their political homes over one issue, regardless of the size. Better to just allow free votes.

3. The_Abyss

Capodecina

It may surprise you, but Brexit is the last thing that most MPs would like to be dealing with. There are far more important matters to address across the country.

4. StriderX

Capodecina

Matters that they didn’t actually care about before, which is why brexit happened in the first place.

It’s naive to think they give even a percentage of a ****.

5. thenewoc

Mobster

But if Mr X MP believes in addressing Y issue but has different views on membership of the EU than I hold then he won't get my vote. If the parties that are currently divided are split into pro and eurosceptic parties then we would end up with a more representative democracy. I doubt in future were going to have massive single party majorities in power so a clearer set of parties based around their views on EU membership would allow coalitions to be formed on supply and confidence arrangements where parties align one way over europe and another over local politics. The splits have already started with some moving from Conservative and Labour to either independents or Change Uk. From a voters perspective, the electorate would have a better idea of what they were backing when delivering their mandate rather than parties allowing free votes on some things as the electorate have no way of knowing that at a GE.

6. Tony Edwards

Mobster

It was bad enough when most of the 'crazy' was just in the brexit threads.

7. The_Abyss

Capodecina

What a load of tosh. You think some 670 people are elected and none of them cares about everyday matters affecting the nation?

If that's how you feel, why aren't you and others getting off their soapbox and running for office to change things?

8. JeditOjanen

Mobster

That is correct, yes. But for some reason the people who bleat about unelected leaders destroying democracy have no problem with 80,000 racist pensioners being the sole electors of the next Prime Minister.

9. StriderX

Capodecina

It doesn’t matter if they can’t get to the top of the pile to therefore push a legitimate policy.

Only utter narcissistic, self serving, corrupt individuals get there and everyone else is just worthless fodder following their supreme leader.

The only time things even change is of it makes them look bad, or if it can help out their chums in business.

Only a truly godly charismatic individual can fix this without using lies and dangerous language. The fact farage has a following is proof enough this isn’t ending without violence.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  10. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

You make a good point but I think you need to twin it with political reform. Under first past the post and with the tendency for people to vote big 2 regardless of the situation even splintering won't have a huge impact.

Even though we are poles apart politically I agree with you on the lack of representation for swathes of the populace, i just dont think representation on Brexit as important as the wider political spectrum.

11. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Well a leading UN poverty expert has compared the Conservatives welfare policies to the creation of 19th century workhouses and has warnings about the poor.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ory-welfare-reforms-to-creation-of-workhouses
    Now before people complain and talk about rising employment.
    Obviously Amber Rudd hit back.
    But sadly she has played the politics card. Which was met with.
    Ill assume its all okay though because some people (maybe even the majority) get public services for nothing and some of those will just have to suffer. There are only so many biscuits, after all.

12. thenewoc

Mobster

I believe The Brexit Party will be advocating serious political reform in the next GE, a strong result for them in the next GE will bring PR back on the table. I don't think this is just about Brexit, future Governments are always going to need to have a stance on where they stand on the EU. As for FPTP I don't think we've seen an era like this where the support for Conservative and Labour is so low.

13. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

Have they made any statement to that effect? Or are you projecting your desires and ignoring reality?

14. thenewoc

Mobster

They are calling for radical change to our political system and Nigel stated after the referendum we should have a GE under PR.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...der-proportional-representation-a7113526.html

Also...
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1117085/nigel-farage-brexit-party-labour-brexiteers

15. doodah

Capodecina

So if their ambitions are much higher, when do we see a manifesto?

16. thenewoc

Mobster

Well that is obviously regarding domestic politics and as you know a GE hasn't been called yet. The Brexit Party is building it's UK team of candidates to stand in the next GE which is not thought to be long away so once a GE is announced I expect we will see a set of pledges for that from them and all the other parties.

17. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

Do you think Farage will actually help produce and read the manifesto this time, or should we expect the same as he did in UKIP, give it to someone else to write, never read it himself, and then dismiss it as rubbish when questioned in regards the manifesto the party he is running is picked to bits?
    I know what my money would be on. (Yeah deception)

18. UTmaniac

Mobster

Leadsom has just resigned.

19. Stephanie Peterson

Hitman

Is TM still PM? cant she give it some welly...

20. Mr Badger

Soldato

Things are quiet in the Conservative club this evening. Just checked and the picture of Theresa May is still on the wall, along with Thatcher and Churchill. No sign of David Cameron any more though.