1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Conservative Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gigabit, Jun 10, 2017.

1. StriderX

Capodecina

It’s choosing their leader it’s choosing our global representative. **** sakes stop trying to pick holes in this.

Moaned for years about Junker and co and when it comes to exalted perfect tories, it’s different?

2. robfosters

Caporegime

That’s not your choice on whether you want that person though. It’s the party that leads the country, and they were chosen only a couple of years ago for a five year term.

3. robfosters

Caporegime

You’re just throwing a strop because you don’t want Boris leading the country. Well, wait until the next election and vote him out.

4. StriderX

Capodecina

He can’t lead ****, he has a majority of 1 with the dup.

I am not scared, I’m just bored of this pantomime you think is making Britain great.

In October parliament will take control again to ask for a three year extension to have the GE.

5. cheesyboy

Capodecina

I think the huge difference a particular leader makes to their party's policy (imagine the difference between, say, Ken Clarke and Mark Francois leading the Tories) illustrates quite well the weakness of our system, where you can only vote for the party.

Our democracy doesn't make room for the general public to have their say on the leader but, frankly, it should.

6. JRS

Capodecina

So what would you be saying if they were to somehow screw up and elect a full-bore Remainer as leader, who proceeded to build enough consensus in Parliament to revoke Article 50? 'Oh well, I'll just vote for someone different at the next election'? Or would you be, quite rightly, a bit annoyed that the party you voted into power to carry out the glorious revolution of Brexit had reversed course all of a sudden and want a say in whether or not that party should carry on before it was too late? ;)

7. chroniclard

Capodecina

Under what circumstances could we have a GE now?

8. robfosters

Caporegime

Of course I’d be annoyed, but I wouldn’t be throwing tantrums about not getting a chance to choose the leader. If I cared that much, I’d join the party so I get a vote.

9. robfosters

Caporegime

If it’s called by the new PM or there’s a no confidence vote on the government.

10. robfosters

Caporegime

I don’t see why some of you are so keen on a GE anyway if Boris is the PM. Never underestimate the popularity of Boris with the less cerebrally gifted public. It could backfire on remainers quite badly.

Farage could get involved and shift his BP voters to the Tories. Then you would be in trouble.

11. JRS

Capodecina

Again, no-one is throwing a tantrum about not getting to choose the leader of the Conservative party. All they are saying is that a change in leader means that the party they voted in/that got voted in at the last GE has undergone a radical change, and it might be nice to have a say in whether or not they continue in the job having changed so much.

12. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

Sort of like voting for May and ending up with Boris you mean? ;)

Not that I rated May particularly highly, but in relative terms...

13. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Who is throwing a tantrum?

14. Mason-

Soldato

Fixed that for you.

15. robfosters

Caporegime

You do get a say, at the next GE.

16. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

I think rob is right on this.
    The rules are quite clear you elect your MP, if that MP is aligned with a party and they have enough sway to form a government then that party can do what they want with the executive positions.

Nothing says that the party leader has to be PM, its just assumed.

The question on whether the most powerful role in the UK should be able to be switched with no come back by the public is a different question.
    Even if you voted directly for the PM if logical rules were in place it would be like the US which has a succession list anyway.

17. VincentHanna

Capodecina

And like I said, normally that is fine.

But normally that person isn't in charge of breaking your country away from your biggest trading partner of 40 years.

18. robfosters

Caporegime

Refer to my post 6671. A GE with Boris in charge is a risky business.

19. StriderX

Capodecina

Yes, but you indirectly vote for a PM when you vote for a party.

This wasn’t the case with brown, which the tories moaned about for months. The next PM will bluntly unelected, the party members are irrelevant.

20. Mason-

Soldato

In regards to GE.

If Boris becomes PM, or any other Tory hopeful for that matter. They will need to get the confidence of the house or the queen won't let them form a government. A handful of Tory MPs have already said they would resign the whip if Boris became PM. On top of this the new leader would have to renogotiate the agreement with the DUP for a majority. What this actually means is, it is very likely that Corbyn could call a no confidence vote and we will have a general election with the new Tory leader.

Or the new Tory leader will realise all of this and call a GE asap.

In short: if Boris becomes leader there will be a new GE.