1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Conservative Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gigabit, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

Thats just the luck of the draw.

As has been pointed out, and luckily thanks to Gina Millar, the balance of power does not fundamentally change with the person sitting in the PM seat.
    The overall position of the Tory MPs will not fundamentally change.
    Boris if anything is more likely to crystalise the MPs harder into camps, and if he tries to move to more anti EU he more likely to push more middle ground ones to fight against for example a hard crash out.
    Hes also far less likely to manage to get Labour support.

2. Rilot

Don

I'm assuming that this means we will get a by-election in Maidenhead now.

3. chroniclard

Capodecina

All Labour have to do is bin Corbyn and back remain, they would win by a landslide.

4. robfosters

Caporegime

Source?

5. Mason-

Soldato

Did she say she's resigning as an MP too?

Gordon Brown was an MP until 2015. She could become a backbencher.

6. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

You dont. The media like to portray it this way but you really dont.
    When voting for your MP as well as the MPs own views you should also consider their affiliations, be that with party, and if with party then who else is within that party. If you are unhappy with who they affiliate with then you have your answer.
    Who leads the political parties is purely an internal matter for those parties.
    Nothing stops you joining those parties (assuming they will take you) and as such you can influence who leads them. They are all democratic, but all different in how they function.

7. chroniclard

Capodecina

Logic. Indication from polls.

8. Steedie

Man of Honour

Corbyn demanding a GE already, surprise surprise! The guy is so predictable, I love how he thinks he has a chance. Absolute ****

9. robfosters

Caporegime

Ex-PM’s very rarely stick around for long though do they?

10. robfosters

Caporegime

Polls taken with a TM led tory party.

11. RDM

Capodecina

Depends on whether she resigns as an MP.

12. StriderX

Capodecina

How can you say this?

If you vote for a MP who is associated with x party who currently has y Leader, it is implicitly support for the leader. It’s a binary choice you either make them PM or you don’t.

The logic is literally unable to ignore that. America and France have explicit elections, as an obvious comparison.

Even without bringing the realpolitik voting ideas the public has (tribalism), this holds the majority of the time, except when the PM that was supported passes the buck.

Frankly it’s a matter of calling a spade a spade, I really wish MPs were their own voice all the time, but that I believe has never been the case, even the last few years of ‘betrayal’... there is still a lot of tribalist MPs who do a disservice to their station.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  13. Mason-

Soldato

14. RDM

Capodecina

What else should he do? Trust me I am no fan of Corbyn but calling for a general election makes sense.

The next PM doesn't have to do it but I would certainly expect Corbyn to call for it.

15. Mason-

Soldato

There will be another GE. I would bet on it.

16. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

Well its down to personal interpretation. Its literally not the case, but if you for example liked the current leader of a party but disliked highly all the rest you would have to accept your own risk.
    Look how many times UKIP changed leader post Farage.

Our system is our system and the rules are very clear. If you choose to make them something they are not then thats why you will seemingly end up with situations you don't like.
    Whether that feels right or not is a different debate. The problem with directly voting for the most senior position is that you can end up with them out of line with the power in the house.
    You could say the PM has to be elected, say within 3 months of taking office (IE a forced GE) but in scenarios like we face today potentially you end up with a zombie PM, unable to command their party, unable to govern, but not kick out of power by their own party as they would lose power and a zombie PM of their colour is better than the other "team" getting in.

17. UTmaniac

Mobster

I'd love to see Ken Clarke put his name into the hat (even though his previous three attempts failed to win), from what little I've heard he has had been one of the most sensible Tories I've heard during the last three years of chaos... I could see him simply revoking Brexit on financial grounds.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  18. robgmun

Capodecina

I honestly think Ken Clarke walked through the wrong door when he was picking which party he was going to join. Everything i've ever hear heard him say sounds like a LimDem then anything else. I don't know why he didn't cross the floor decades ago

19. StriderX

Capodecina

Doubt it, he’s only still in his seat because he’s too old to cross the floor.

He knows his party is dead.

20. a1ex2001

Capodecina

She will sit (very occasionally) quietly on the back benches until at least the next general election when she will quietly retire to a career in the house of lords. No way will she trigger a by election now she is a party first conservative so wouldn't risk it.