1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Conservative Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gigabit, Jun 10, 2017.

1. FishFluff

Mobster

54%?? Huge majority. Will of the people. Boris was a sensational mayor.

Garden Bridge? Fake news, obviously. Water canons he wan't allowed to use? Well that probably wasn't his fault. Taking the credits for the public hire bike scheme that was already done when he came into office? Anyone would have slapped their name on them!

Boris is all about his brand. He's the UK's version of Trump, but somehow even less appealing. The only good thing he actually did was forcing through the segregated cycle lanes, even then I doubt he would have bothered if he wasn't a cyclist himself.

2. Lartyconshayo

Wise Guy

13 names in the ring now. With at least 4 more potential in the sidelines. Bit of a farce

3. Dolph

Man of Honour

Corbyn already has the position of the UK's trump sown up.

Dishonest populist cult of personality with a group of thoroughly unpleasant attack supporters at his beck and call is far more corbyn than Boris.

4. FishFluff

Mobster

Is there any thread you won’t shoehorn your dislike of Corbyn into? It’s getting really tedious now. Do you think Boris was a good mayor or would make a good PM?

5. VincentHanna

Capodecina

He's only mentioned him 800 times since 2016.

Conversely I've mentioned him 182 times since then.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  6. Dolph

Man of Honour

I think Boris would be a terrible pm, even though he was the least worst mayor of London since the position was brought back (to be fair, his competition was livingstone and Khan, so being the least worst is hardly a ringing endorsement).

7. chrcoluk

Mobster

I dont think he would be a great PM, however he probably would be a stronger party leader than may who proved to be very weak, and has probably the most charisma out of all the candidates, hes the one guy labour members fear.

The tories I think only care about their political survival which explains why they chasing after brexit party voters and following a hard brexit stance now. Boris is probably their best chance when you thinking that way.

8. chroniclard

Capodecina

Not sure someone who has given up at any sign of hard work would be that strong.

9. doodah

Capodecina

This contest is tragic and hilarious....

"I am going to increase police numbers by 20,000" (Javid)

"We think more needs to be spent per pupil" (Johnson)

"Too many people have been left behind" (Johnson)

"Unite our society and country" (Johnson)

"Invest in our education" (Johnson)

"To improve our environment" (Johnson)

Who the **** has been in government for the past decade? Who voted for cuts to the police? Who decreased the price per pupil figure? Who was the 'greenest government' ever only to do a complete u-turn?

Edit - just to further how out of touch these lots are...
    We have no hope.

10. RedvGreen

Mobster

Of course we have no hope; I thought we were beyond emotion and believing lies. Clearly not. We are no different to ancient civilisations - we scoff at sacrifices that the Aztecs did to appease the Sun God, yet 3 years ago 37% of the UK population decided to believe in grossly exagerrated hyperbole designed to shock and woo in it's craziness.

11. V F

Capodecina

I think that's the plan.

12. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Nah, the US equivalent of Corbyn is Sanders.

13. chrcoluk

Mobster

14. Dolph

Man of Honour

Define poverty. I don't believe we have millions in material poverty, and relative poverty isn't in reality a measure of poverty at all.

15. StriderX

Capodecina

A poverty where you feel you have little future to look forward to for myriad other reasons made measurably worse by the effect of social media on people's expectations.

I'd call that dire and frankly it's truly amazing that Philip Hammond, who seems to be rather a background character compared to most chancellors of the past, doesn't see anything wrong with what's befalling workers.

I don't get what his play is, because he keeps it far from view, but so far he's looking to be a typical out of reach Tory who will do anything other than seeing the truth, much like all the DWP ministers have done every time they've had to admit after they've lied to everyone, that they were wrong and that people are suffering.

The fact is that house ownership (seemingly the only policy the tories care about) is impossible for an increasingly discontented political class forced to work in a slowly dying retail market in increasingly turbulent working conditions, many with degrees no less... who can't find work because there's been no investment in STEM and there's only so many PhD places.

I could go on, but it's going to become more incoherent to the central point, he doesn't ******* care (insofar that Brexit has ruined his legacy) and now his future is in question due to BP and Lib Dems growth, he may be a less abrasive person, but that's not enough anymore.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  16. Rroff

Man of Honour

What you are describing is relative poverty though I don't disagree it is a problem in this country.

I don't think his words are that far from the mark - there are people who are struggling - a larger number realistically than he allows for but there are relatively small numbers in this country in actual dire poverty who don't know where the next meal is going to come from, etc. although I think he is glossing over or avoiding commenting on what is a real problem in this country with a lot who have a bleak outlook especially with the rising cost of keeping a roof over their heads.

17. Dolph

Man of Honour

We should be working objectively not subjectively. The feelings you describe can happen for many different reasons to people with plenty.

You aren't even remotely describing poverty here.

18. SPG

Soldato

Any Tory is a horrible PM, they have done so well for everyone apart from the RICH and still Hammond rejects 1 million on Poverty, 320000 of those are homeless and they are the only ones counted, so i guess you could round that up to 350000 alone.

So whoever it is nothing will change, the party is infested with greed, selfishness, xenophobes, racists (ok these have left for the brexit party but the colour is still the same) and failed ideology.

The Tory party is outdated and useless and needs to burn the the ground sooner rather than later.

19. JeditOjanen

Mobster

A million people using food banks beg to differ. And the number of people dead as a result of Tory policy is now up to an estimated 250,000. That's one in every 300 people to have lived in the UK since 2010.

20. Dolph

Man of Honour

I don't disagree with anything you have said here. The problem is that the currently alternative somehow manages to be even worse. It isn't enough to simply rally against something bad if you don't have a better deliverable alternative.