1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Conservative Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gigabit, Jun 10, 2017.

1. String

Capodecina

Yes, Rory Stewart coming across best IMO. Gove is a complete psycho.

2. Dolph

Man of Honour

No, there doesn't have to be a vote. Numbers wise there is no majority available that doesn't include the Tories, all they will be looking for is that the dup don't pledge to bring the government down.

3. doodah

Capodecina

That tie is near criminal!

Raab looks frightened at times.

4. GAC

Mobster

gove is living in his own reality it seems.

5. chrismscotland

Wise Guy

Aside from Stewart I think they all are

6. efish

Wise Guy

Marx is still taught in the social sciences as he developed a scientific method its formal name is now sociology. Intelligent design is not taught as it is not a science and not testable.

You're argument is rhetorical and based on you're dislike of Marxist political belief and ideology. You could balance it better, I can see what you are trying to say but its flawed.

He is a controversial but significant figure in large part because of the way he brought scientific method to the study of social and economic issues.

I can't say I am big fan of the politics but I also like things to be clearly presented as they are not as I would prefer them to be.

7. Mr Badger

Soldato

Not pulling punches...

8. chrismscotland

Wise Guy

Can someone stick a sock in Gove? Jesus he likes to blow his own trumpet

9. singularity

Perma Banned

The only convincing one on brexit is Raab but I wouldn't trust him on anything else.

This lot are doing a great job for Boris

10. BowdonUK

Mobster

I think the current front runners are Hunt, Saj, and Raab. Gove seems up himself and Rory seems bad at debating as he keeps using his time to ask others questions.

11. StriderX

Capodecina

No point in watching without Boris, his minders know exactly what letting the other idiots make themselves look useless will do, they should have just ignored this and waited for the other one.

Useless the lot of them, so easily played it's unbelievable they're in the backstabbing party.

12. Jimbeam3678

Capodecina

Think Rory Stewart is the shining light out of all of these lot.

Seems to apply some common sense to current situation.

13. h4rm0ny

Soldato

So far watching this:
    • My opinion of Gove has dropped notably (previously one of my more favoured candidates originally).
    • My opinion of Rory Stewart has risen substantially (hadn't really paid much attention to him previously).
    • My opinion on Dominic Raab and Sajid Jaavid both remains about the same (good and bad).
    • My opinion on Jeremy Hunt remains low because he's Jeremy Hunt. Though he hasn't done anything to make it any lower.
    • My opinion of Boris Johnson is still rock-bottom but I at least appreciate him skipping this so that intelligent people can have an actual debate.

EDIT: Good grief - Rory Hunt actually just made a funny joke. ("See what I did there? You like that?")

14. BowdonUK

Mobster

The objective is to be the next Tory leader. If Rory wins it somehow he's Corbyn-lite. He doesn't want Brexit and would definately call a GE, which Corbyn would win.

15. StriderX

Capodecina

Well unless you're a tory member, you dont get that choice ;)

16. Jimbeam3678

Capodecina

Is that your opinion? As it that directly contradicts what's he's said on Marr and LBC.

17. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

The problem they all have is they are claiming to be able to solve problems they created over a decade of government by doing the opposite to what they claim to want to do.

This is not unusual after a long term in government to some degree but it is to this extent.

18. String

Capodecina

Just what I was thinking; it's the Achilles Heel of any government in power so long. You've got to end up asking, "just how long do you need?"

19. BowdonUK

Mobster

It's my opinion. I just see that he's mostly reacting against the stronger candidates without putting much detail of his own vision. When he does, to me he comes across as idealistic. I'm not saying thats a bad thing but when the membership are leaning right for Brexit and all he can say to the other candidates how it can't happen I think he's doing himself a disservice.

Also parliament doesn't need to be shut down or rested to leave by October 31st as its currently legally going to leave if nobody does anything, from what I can gather.

20. h4rm0ny

Soldato

What do people think the effect of Boris Johnson boycotting this is? Aside from the obvious result that they're actually able to have a civil conversation - I mean if it harms his chances of getting the Prime Ministership?