1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Conservative Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gigabit, Jun 10, 2017.

1. singularity

Hitman

You're a kid aren't you

2. Mr Jack

Capodecina

I took that as a proxy for how likely they thought negative outcomes are. I realise I might be overinterpreting that. Hmm.

3. singularity

Hitman

Called out by teenagers who do nothing but throw childish insults, they've proved my point for me and so have the mods by condoning it.

4. TheOracle

Capodecina

The cost of housing relative to wages is what's ruining the country. Take a step back and just think about it.
    You pay a very large percentage of your monthly wages for 20-25-30 years to put a roof over your head.

The government talks about building more and more houses.......they are expensive, crap houses! plasterboard boxes sat on the road with tiny gardens, yet millions and millions are paying £200k+ for this!

We have loads of new developments around us, and they have all sold off plan.

Bonkers.

5. singularity

Hitman

This is the real issue, for some reason the kids don't care they'd rather virtue signal.

6. Freakbro

Capodecina

Umm, what does that mean?

I think you'll find the 'kids' of today care very much they struggle to get on to the housing ladder and have to pay exorbitant rents in the meantime.

7. b0rn2sk8

Mobster

While I agree that 2025 is ambitious but Norway and Finland have pledged 2030 and 2035 respectively.

They may demand 2025 but realistically the sensible ones know that isn’t actually going to happen. At the end of the day it’s a fairly well intentioned pressure group. If the 2050 target comes forward to 2040 or 2035 they will see that as a huge win for their movement.

It’s no different to unions demanding 5% pay raises year on year, they know they will not get it but if they can get 1% to 2-3% it’s seen as a huge win.

8. singularity

Hitman

No they don't, what are they doing about it where are their voices,?
    All they want to do is save the world and they're going about that the wrong way.

It's the Facebook generation,

9. singularity

Hitman

If they had any gumption they would bugger of and refuse to pay it.
    Instead the ones that can borrow more and more money to buy status symbols.

10. Freakbro

Capodecina

Refuse to pay rent? umm...that'll work well for about a month :p

And bugger off where? The older generation seem hell bent on removing their right to bugger off and work in 27 of our closest countries ;)

And I'm not sure advocating a brain drain of this country is the best solution, especially since a lot of our firms are already struggling to recruit the talent it needs!

11. Skillmister

Capodecina

Most I know moan because they can't afford to buy a 200k+ new build rather than do what I did and buy a barely over 100k ex council house that's the same size if not bigger but needed a lick of paint.

New build prices are disgusting but as long as people keep stupidly snapping them up it will stay that way.

12. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

Have you been thinking about a come back line for the last 11 hours? Ive got to say Im disappointed.

Why are you so down on "the kids" anyway. Do you not know that the children are the future. You seem to want them to not be able to live in houses and be breathing toxic air. Ive got to say even for GD that seems abit harsh.
    Or the goverment steps in and tries to help them and the low paid with the housing crisis properly. Rather than just try to help housing developers get rich.

13. singularity

Hitman

Do you have trouble reading?

14. singularity

Hitman

Of course it is, the system wants to play by market forces.
    As good old Norman Tebbit said, get on your bike, stop blaming everyone else. Sort it yourself.

15. FTM

Soldato

the Labour Party should try to poach Stewart and make him their leader instead

16. doodah

Capodecina

Good job BBC - the imam from last night appears to have said some rather consequential words himself in various tweets :rolleyes:

17. Freakbro

Capodecina

Not sure we should be holding Thatchers Britain up as something to aspire to! :p

18. garnett

Mobster

Ah I see what you mean. Yeah, possibly.

It does feel like no Brexiteer can offer any real tangible benefit from Brexit though anymore. Brexit is now the end-goal in itself, and has become an article of faith, which that poll suggests is needed "at any cost".

To be fair, a chunk of that polling is going to be the entryism Arron Banks called for.

Nevertheless, it's funny to see the "fiscally prudent" Conservative and Unionist Party happy to see fiscal madness and the dissolution of the Union.

19. singularity

Hitman

No, but sometimes you have to take responsibility rather than wait around for someone else to do something. Because they won't and shouldn't.
    I must admit I am aghast at what young people put up with and accept as the normal.
    Basically though most people are narrow minded, the world won't change for your benefit.

Edited to add the immigrant workers we have haven't sat on their hands moaning have they, good luck to them, they did what they had to.

20. robfosters

Caporegime

They got him on to try and trip Boris up and it backfired spectacularly. Plenty of eggy faces this morning at the beeb.