1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Conservative Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gigabit, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. satchef1

Mobster

Dream moment; Boris does a deal to merge with the Brexit Party, then calls a vote to end the Parliamentary session and hold a General Election. Corbyn back the vote. But a load of Tory and Labour moderates decide they've had enough, swap to a reformed and rebranded Liberal Democrats, and vote against. The new party then votes down the government. Comprising over half of Parliament (possibly with SNP support), the new party winds up forming the new government for the remainder of this term (so through to 2022).

It'll never happen. But it would be an amusing retaliation by MPs on both sides of the isle, who are increasingly under threat of reselection over the shifting directions of their respective parties.

2. efish

Wise Guy

Civilization and community restored through the power of opposition cheeky monkey tennis:).

3. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Post of the day for me.

Johnson is deluded. A serial liar who know believes his own fabrications.

4. JRS

Capodecina

5. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Some interesting polling doing the rounds on how people would vote in a GE if Boris or *unt led the Tories.

https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1142546317090185218

The Tories do gain votes back from BXP if Boris is leader, but they lose almost as many to the LDs so the gains are minimal. Meanwhile, if Hunt leads then they instead lose some votes to BXP. Ironically, it looks like the Tories are going to vote for Boris to get a hard Brexit only to make the next government a LAB/LIB coalition that cancels it, if not an outright Labour majority.

6. jpaul

Sgarrista

There should be some polling on the BBC behaviour -
    Should there be any comeback against them for their devisive Boris&Co/Laura election debate ? the Imam trap, if anything, made Boris look better and the bbc stupid;
    the seating, Rory .....
    or, was it really caveat emptor for the participants ? and, they should have studied the small print beforehand.

This Boris habit, of Roman, near fascist ? salute is contemptuous no (... you have been graced with my presence and will not see my kind again )

[​IMG]

7. StriderX

Capodecina

Dunno if anyone posted this but it's perfect.

Boris is a gift of infinite abuse for the media, they must be loving this.

8. Mr Badger

Soldato

As a fully paid up member of the liberal elite intelligentsia, I continue to be baffled as to how anyone could think that Donald Trump is fit to be president of the USA, that Brexit is a good idea, or that Boris Johnson should be prime minister of the UK. Utterly baffling. With extra baffles on.

9. robgmun

Capodecina

Yeah i did a few pages back but no one noticed, maybe you'll have better luck :)

10. a1ex2001

Capodecina

Because brexit means brexit and boris will deliver the unicorn on the 31st because he is such an honourable trust worthy man who would never lie to get what he wants!

11. ratface

Hitman

Didn't you know he's got a farm down in Devon where he breeds unicorns

12. jpaul

Sgarrista

apparently some upcoming Sky debate, who were they going to throw at it ? - but, now cancelled
    but if you heard Hunt on R4 this morning he's capitalizing on Boris's media absence,
    not directly incriminating BJ, but said
    "you have to prove to the electorate/party that your can be trusted and are competent, by public appearances"

interesting that JRM joined the foray , trying to acerbically discredit the folks who made the recording, doesn't he realise folks, easily, have mobile phones at hand.

13. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Boris hiding from scrutiny is surely not a good look!

14. VincentHanna

Capodecina

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48742881

15. DarrenM343

Mobster

Not the first time either since being up for party leadership.
    As I've said before. He's not a leader and not a person we need leading the country at this troubled time considering his other issues too.
    Boris in charge would be icing on the cake of the bad mistakes we're making

16. JeditOjanen

Mobster

That's one way we can have our cake - if nobody wants to eat it.

The Mail and the Telegraph had their knives out yesterday, with headlines about the LEFT WING ANTI-BREXIT couple who reported Boris's domestic to the police. The Torygraph were of the opinion that it was a violation of Boris's privacy to record the screams of his partner that could be heard in their living room, while the Sturmer on Sunday handily provided a diagram of the couple's home so that any quiet gardeners who wanted to pay them a visit would know how to get in.

17. garnett

Mobster

Fascinating, isn't it?

Watching people so wedded to something they're driven to such hypocrisy.

I'm interested to hear what solutions the journalists in these media outlets propose.

It appears to be a ban on recording pictures or audio in your own home, which then surely extends to anywhere public as well...

:rolleyes:

Or maybe they're not going *that* far and want it policed by some some sort of "thought police" who could determine whether your purposes for capturing that video, that picture etc was authorised...

18. timebomb26

Wise Guy

This tickled me for some reason.

I’m a bit sheltered from the public appearances Hunt and Johnson have (not, in the case of the latter) been making, but it all just seems like the same rubbish we’ve heard before.

I’m still hearing the same sound bites: “delivering democracy” and renegotiating the “best deal for Britain”. We already know that this is all just absolute nonsense and there is no way, that anyone can see, that this would be possible.

Are Tory party members still lapping this stuff up? Johnson’s gaffs are well known along with his u-turns and general self-serving. Why anyone thinks he’d be a good choice I will not know. Hunt has done a terrible job in every role he’s ever held, yet somehow is now a good choice for PM?!

Jesus wept we keep on going deeper and deeper in to this mess. I want off this ride. Please.

19. cheesyboy

Capodecina

This may have been posted previously, but has only just come to my attention.

Following on from finding that most Tory members would be happy to lose Scotland, Northern Ireland from the union, to cause significant economic damage, and to see the destruction of the Conservative party, all in the name of brexit, we now have a report that most of them also believe that parts of Britain are operating under Sharia law, and almost half think there are no-go areas for non-muslims:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...vative-party-members-leadership-a8971731.html

They're choosing our next PM. Which means our next PM needs to appeal to these people.

20. Stretch

Capodecina

Oh how will wet myself if Boris screws this up after effectively rigging to contest to remove candidates that could give him a good fight, and leaving ERG with Jeremy Hunt as PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.