1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Conservative Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gigabit, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Badger

Soldato

A poll demonstrates that a group of people who are about to make an important decision are misinformed/just plain wrong about fundamental facts and the likely impact of the decision they are about to make. Is the right course of action:

1) Explain the true situation to them so they can make a more rational and informed decision; or

2) Double down on the stupid to appeal to their wrong headed opinions and further cement their existing bias in the hope that they will vote for you.

The system is broken.

2. Jono8

Caporegime

His comments really annoyed me actually. He called them "corbynista curtain twitchers". Yes Jacob, so anyone who calls the police when they hear a violent sounding argument and a woman screaming "get off me" is a just a curtain twitcher who should be ignored....

What an immeasurable bell end that man is.

3. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Not surprising really when their party is still responsable for policies that lead to more unnecessary deaths due to them cutting funds so they can fund tax cuts.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jun/24/homeless-deaths-disproportionately-affected-by-cuts

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  4. Screeeech

Mobster

What do people think of Boris ducking the sky debate?

It feels like a race to the bottom, rather than embrace a chance to put on a good show and beat your opponent in a fair 1v1, just hide away...

It just feels like everything is of such low quality, low expectation, low delivery, everything is just low and poor..

Even Donald trump would be up for a good fight and probably do quite well and improve his standing in the public (wtf am I even saying omg)

5. Cern

Mobster

I don't know why they're even bothering with televised 'debates'. The only people who can decide are Conservative party members, who make up a very small and non representative proportion of the electorate, who mostly seem to have already made up their minds anyway. Hence, Boris can just do as he pleases and duck any questions or appearances as he sees fit.

It's a woeful state of affairs for the country to be in, but apparently this is "taking back control" so we just have to keep riding this clown car until the wheels finally fall off or we crash catastrophically.

6. Screeeech

Mobster

It really is a clown car, there's no better way to describe it.

7. garnett

Mobster

I can see value in it.

I think it's healthy to have the candidates more acutely aware that they're being scrutinised by the whole country and not just those party members set to vote on who leads.

They'll have one eye on the next GE no doubt.

8. Screeeech

Mobster

Surely if there's ever been a time where we need a leader who exceeds expectation, it's right now - today, we need that person more than ever.

We don't need someone who can ride a wave of close (probably partially rigged/paid off) local support, and do so in a way which requires only the absolute bare minimum level of effort to get through.

It's like everything is backwards, to win you do nothing.. say nothing.. behave like a coward and hope it's enough.

9. Rroff

Man of Honour

This country is likely going to get the leader it deserves not the leader it needs to save it from itself.

10. Screeeech

Mobster

It's harsh but true, it really is - I like to feel like I don't deserve it because I never asked for any of this, but the country as a whole in a way deserves to reap what it sows.

It really makes me sad.

11. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

We are potentially getting a leader who can’t publicly explain the reasons and detailed plan behind their vague policy sound bites. Also leader who is not allowed in public in case they say something dubious, inflammatory, racist etc.

12. garnett

Mobster

Have you listened to the neighbour's recording...

:rolleyes:

If only.

13. Freakbro

Capodecina

Yep :(

14. jpaul

Sgarrista

classic sketch that needed a reboot

[​IMG]

15. efish

Wise Guy

Stay Calm and Carry on

16. BowdonUK

Mobster

For some reason the British media are bending over backwards to emulate America with their open primaries. I'm not 100% sure but can only democrats vote in the democrat primary or is it open to everyone?

17. Tony Edwards

Mobster

What is it that the Tories dont like about renewable energy but love about polution that makes them keep doing things like this?

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ve-vat-increase-for-new-solar-battery-systems
    I say Tories but Trump is the same. Is it the alt rights hatred for children that makes them want to do as much harm to the world before they die?

They make me think of the child snatcher from chitty chitty bang bang.

18. jpaul

Sgarrista

Gordon had it right https://news.sky.com/story/union-at-risk-from-us-v-them-nationalism-gordon-brown-11748492
    can't find it on utube

and none of this crass nationalistic Napoleon verbage BJ gave in his LBC speech.

so - Boris' great idea is somehow postpone discussion on the backstop and keep the rest of May's deal BORIS == MAY 2.0 (upsized) ?

19. bayo000

Mobster

20. Rroff

Man of Honour

Unfortunately I can't find one good debate on it online but there are quite a few angles to this:

https://twitter.com/CarolineLucas/status/1143425572737040385 (lots of rubbish but also some good posts with good information as well).

Personally though I see power walls/battery banks with current technology a bit of a stopgap and potentially not very environmentally friendly either - we seriously need a breakthrough in energy storage that is well suited to local level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.