1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Conservative Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gigabit, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Javid? Gove? IDS?

2. Quartz

Sgarrista

Farage being our man in the US would neutralise the Brexit Party.

3. Freakbro

Capodecina

Reports are that Gove could be offered Housing and Communities or Northern Ireland Sec

4. Greebo

Caporegime

JRM as chancellor and Farage as US ambassador. Job done.

5. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Job done to have the most unpopular government of all time?

6. FoxEye

Capodecina

I wonder if there's a realistic chance of Boris facing a vote of no confidence as soon as he becomes PM... And if any remain-supporting Tories would vote to end this government and force a GE.

7. Quartz

Sgarrista

And any Tory MP so voting would lose their seat. Johnson will have them deselected.

8. StriderX

Capodecina

If some of them are willing to lose their seats by going indie, then a fair few might be willing once the party is past the point of sanity, so this is a non-threat especially as some are already threatened with it as it is.

Only a few MP's are required and some could just not vote at all.

9. Greebo

Caporegime

There are already several Tory MPs who have said they won’t be standing in the next election so that would leave them free to vote how they want.

10. stockhausen

Capodecina

That's going to be a disappointment to Bonker Boris, he sounds as if he would have been the perfect, like-minded man for a ministerial role ;)

11. JeditOjanen

Mobster

More than a chance; it's guaranteed. Labour have already told their MPs to be ready for a three line whip for the day after the new leader takes over. If it's Boris then Grieve and Clarke have said they will resign the whip, and if they do then the government will not have a majority in a VONC without Labour defectors or the current and former CUKs.

Dover MP Charlie Elphicke will be appearing in court in September on three charges of sexual assault. Dover voted 62% Leave - because they're idiots, natch - so the BXP will be certain to contest any by-election. A split vote there will give the seat to Labour.

12. VincentHanna

Capodecina

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-49072464

13. stockhausen

Capodecina

I wonder how soon/often sinners will be welcomed back to the Tory fold after tomorrow's change of leadership? ;)

14. Arazi

Mobster

How many more Tories need to drop\resign now, 2, 3? So May may not be going to the queen on Wednesday after all, which was my thinking months ago.

Boris needs a majority, he won't have it this time tomorrow

15. Jono8

Caporegime

This is how I think it may play out.

I'm not sure Boris is going to be PM for very long.

If no deal becomes a likelihood, I imagine a fair few Tory remainers will leave the party and Boris will no longer have a majority/the government .

16. ebilcake

Hitman

If they remove Boris the next step is a general election and many won't want that, after all, many have completely ignored the referendum results in their constituency and have done everything to stop Brexit, many will be out of a job after a general election. :D

17. Arazi

Mobster

He won't have a majority in the next 24\36 hours, which means he cannot be PM this Wednesday, because he cannot command a majority, which means the current PM cannot go to the Queen and resign.

18. Arazi

Mobster

Then a no confidence voted and the current Gov\PM falls, then a GE

19. Nitefly

Man of Honour

I can’t see many resignations at this point. What was that quote from Game of Thrones.... “Chaos is a Ladder”?

20. VincentHanna

Capodecina

A resignation from a cabinet minister doesn't mean a resignation as MP, so he likely will have his majority thanks to the DUP.