1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Conservative Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gigabit, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Dolph

Man of Honour

He's also not wrong.

2. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Yup.

3. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Its hard to know if this is due to the Boris Cartel or just business as usual from the Tories.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...sent-critical-bbc-news-article-in-facebook-ad

4. Greebo

Caporegime

30m working adults people not getting their 10k tax free allowance so thats another 2k each so thats another 60bn off the bill and yes, not giving children 10k each, I have somewhere a full breakdown of the rough sums which I will try and find for you.

5. Nitefly

Man of Honour

I think a better word is ‘aggrieved’.

6. Mr Jack

Capodecina

I think he's also aggrieved, but I'm pretty sure he's bitter too.

7. Azza

Caporegime

8. chrcoluk

Mobster

I agree the DWP isnt fit for purpose but my point on rudd still stands, she cant hold down a cabinet position.

9. stockhausen

Capodecina

Minority Government loses yet another vote (BBC Online).

10. robgmun

Capodecina

What do you expect? They're a minority government. Of course they're going to lose, but they deliberately put the vote through because they knew it would be voted down and show the public how unfair and spiteful the opposition parties are,

11. Steampunk

Soldato

Wah! Wah! The Opposition are being mean to us!

Quite frankly, any government should have more important things to worry about right now than more time wasting to try and drag a no-deal Brexit over the line on a technicality and against the will of Parliament. As a minority government, they do not represent "will o' the people".

12. terley

Wise Guy

what do you suggest as an alternative?

General election? Nope labour dont' want one.

Extention? Nope, further extentions do nother more than prolong the inevitable.

13. JRS

Capodecina

Soonest one could be held is November anyway, so...

...an extension would have to be sought no matter what. Unless Cummings and his BoJo hand puppet plan to go against the Benn legislation, moving from unlawful behaviour to outright illegal behaviour would be an interesting play.

14. Murphy

Wise Guy

Maybe if they hadn't spaffed their majority up the wall they wouldn't have needed the opposition and wouldn't need to discover what consensus and collaboration means.

If you ask me having a minority government maybe a good thing, it may teach those muppets, not just the Conservatives but all MPs, how to work together instead of constantly trying to rip chunks out of each other, it may even bring some civility back to parliament.

15. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Labour do want one, after an extension has been asked for and granted, which gives them time to do it.

As was stated in parliament, if an election was agreed today, the minimum time in which it could take place is 5th November, after we are due to leave.

Therefore, the only option is to get an extension.

16. Tony Edwards

Mobster

An extention then an election. Then hopefuly a second referendum. Why right wingers keep pretending that isnt the most obvious sequence is not missed on those that see what is really happening with the Tories and right wingers/brexiters. Id prefer just a second referendum. At least that would put the call for one to bed.

Personaly I think the best thing for the Tories to do would be to call for a second referendum and then at least they have 3 more years to allow their friends and backers the time to make vast amounts of money while they are still in power.
    I know you are not going to like this but thank god it was Corbyn in 2017, who brought 3 million left wing votes to Labour. Otherwise the Tories would have had a large majority.

17. terley

Wise Guy

What has right or left wing got to do with brexit? You are conflating political positioning with your suspected demographic of those who want to leave the EU.

That is understandable, however another extention is an affront to the public.

18. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Better than crashing out without a deal.

Surely the onus should be on Boris to be getting a deal sorted?

19. robgmun

Capodecina

I don't trust Labour, Corbyn lied at the despatch box when he said he'd agree to one when the bill went through, then changed his mind.

20. satchef1

Mobster

I don't get it. People know this isn't true, and yet mindlessly parrot propaganda anyway.

The opposition do want an election. But Parliament is suspended in the run up to an election, and the executive retains the power to change the date. Ergo, the reason why the opposition won't agree to an election is because the Prime Minister could simply move the election date until after the UK has left the EU without a deal.

They have stated, categorically, that they will agree to an election if the Government agrees to pass legislation to ensure that this cannot happen. There is zero evidence to suggest that this isn't the case.

If polls indicated that the Tories were set to take a large majority, then maybe the idea that the opposition are scared of an election would have some merit. But they aren't. All current polling suggests the balance of power will be very close indeed. The stuff about "cowardice" is simply grandstanding. Boris is just deflecting from the fact his actions have resulted in him leading a zombie government.

So is failing to negotiate a deal that works for the whole country.

The population didn't shrink overnight to 17.4 million on 23rd June 2016.