1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Conservative Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gigabit, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlacidCasual

Soldato

Rees-Mogg is a great MP he might make a good junior minister., but I doubt he would be a good senior minister or PM. He's a conviction politician, I think he is genuinely intellectually honest and could probably deliver well thought out policy on areas that fit his worldview. I wonder if he has the moral flexibility and realpolitik for high office though. I think Parliament is better for having him even if many think he's out of touch.

Edit: don't find much to disagree with in that create streets opinion piece. If you'd asked me that question 20 years ago I'd have agreed with what that says.

2. Mr Jack

Capodecina

I like Rees-Moggs, but he's not had a well thought out thought in his life. He can't see beyond the extraordinarily narrow bubble he was born into.

3. JeditOjanen

Soldato

I suggest you look at his voting record. You'll like him a lot less.

4. Mr Jack

Capodecina

I didn't say I liked his policies.

5. SPG

Soldato

Mogg wants nothing more to return to 1923 where should all Don our caps, live in terrace houses and cricket should be 5 days and only played by people from ETON or at a push Oxford/Cambridge.

His voting record alone shows he is a deluded idiot. + being Pro Fox hunting is a instant red flag of being an utter arse.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaa yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Let me chase with a whip.... run moggy moggy mog mog.

6. wildman

Soldato

As a previous Try voter I would not vote for Javid, Patel or Raab and it's unlikely they woul dbe any better at reconnecting with the large proportion of the disenfranchised youth vote either. The last 2 years of Tory bickering, selling out the country for party reasons and trying to ignore the "48%" in the hope they will "go away", have done enough damage to see Tories wrecked for a long time once they crash out post brexit.

7. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Why?

8. wildman

Soldato

They don't offer anything new or different above the rest of the current shills. They will just forge on with a ridiculous hard brexit and further austerity which the rest of the whipped MPs will blindly vote through. One thing the last 2 years has shown us is that the political constructs and systems of the UK are wholly broken and no longer serve the best interests of the country or its electorate. On one side we have rabid right wing megalomaniacs who would see the country to ruin just to serve their own party needs and on the other we have Stalin lite.

9. dalehitchy1

Perma Banned

MPs speak out about 'sinister' election abuse

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40577325

Whilst I would say not ALL of it has come from the Tory side, I'm so annoyed that they are playing victim here. They had the chance many times to condone things like 'enemy of the people' headlines and various other things the papers said about parties / candidates. But they themselves were some of the perpetrators in this. They are the ones that ran a negative campaign on Corbyn, amongst many many other things.

10. Cern

Mobster

Exactly. The Conservatives have been perfectly happy to use negative campaigning and to step back from any attempts to regulate or reign in an out of control media. The right wing media have been slandering Corbyn non stop and during the election were allowed to print accusations which stepped so far over the line they were surely illegal, yet there's been no action, no condemnation, nothing. And now it suits them to play victim. Reprehensible.

I'm not condoning the filth and bile that many MPs of all parties have had to endure on social media and in the street when campaigning. It's wrong and needs to stop. But is it any wonder when the tone and standards for discourse and conduct is set so ridiculously low by the print media, by politicians themselves and by a government who do absolutely nothing to prevent it because most of it is in their favour and supports their own negative campaigning. Hypocrisy.

11. wildman

Soldato

bottom line is the Tories greenlighted this kind of behavior through the personalised attack campaigns they ran against Corbyn, Abbott and McDonald. Not saying it makes it ok, but they had more than enough opportunities to take the moral high ground and chose not to. If you don't want to receive "vitriolic" abuse, then simply don't make it seem acceptable by handing it out yourselves, or keeping quiet when the **** rags print it about your opposition, or the judiciary.

No sympathy at all for any of them.

12. antijoke

Caporegime

Just another angle for May to work to curb the internet for people.

As others have mentioned it's disgusting that they play the victim game here when they are full on attack in the printed press on their rivals, but that gets a pass because reasons.

Politicians need to clean their acts up in general and not act like a bunch of apes every Wednesday on TV.

13. stewski

Mobster

14. StriderX

Caporegime

What the ****... honestly, from Hammond as well, considering his Prime minister is a woman...

15. Uther

Capodecina

16. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

What with his other utterance that "train driving is so easy even a woman could do it", it shows he is out off touch with the public, repeating the old lie about pensions. Given the fact that the public sector workers have to pay a lot more now to their pensions and they have had effective pay cuts for at least seven years pay plus pensions are not so great. You cannot live on the promise, which may not happen of a pension in forty years time.
    May is dead in the water and the knives are out. You have three main massive egos all wanting the job and they will be building their camps up over the summer.

17. wildest_jjk

Wise Guy

Hammond about to be on Andrew Marr, will be interesting to hear his response to the article...

18. StriderX

Caporegime

What a massive ****... he's just asking to get fired at this point and i assume it's what he wants.

19. Mr Jack

Capodecina

May's too weak to fire him, and the knives are out as the hopefuls squabble for position.

20. wildman

Soldato

Hammond trying to get fired so he can stand from the sides and say "I told you so" as Brexit burns the Tory party into the stoneage. The unfortunate collateral damage will be normal people who believed the lies peddled out to them about glorious brexit and empire 2.0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.