1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Conservative Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gigabit, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Top_gun

Gangster

Seems like Hammond is having a slur campaign against him.

2. wildest_jjk

Wise Guy

Couldn't agree more! I actually quite like him more than most of them. He was quoted quite unfairly out of context and was only talking with the economy in mind...

EDIT: Not to mention the fact they shouldn't be quoting him anyway!

3. mid_gen

Sgarrista

Hammond is going up in my estimation. I suspect this is his play for the PM role. Present himself as the rational middle ground to see us through a less damaging Brexit.

Good.

4. Top_gun

Gangster

He always seems comfortable in having a discussion on the issues concerned on the Politics show rather than blurting buzz words and other Tory rhetoric. However, he needs to overcome the 'spreadsheet Phil' label if he's to become leader of the Tory party.

5. VincentHanna

Capodecina

6. b0redj0rd

Hitman

[​IMG]

The Conservatives just need to sit back and wait for Labours promises to evaporate.

7. dalehitchy1

Perma Banned

Well all of the promises will evaporate cus they are not in power.

Let's not forget that all of the Tories manifesto evaporated the first week they got into power. And now brexiters vision of what Brexit will actually look like is evaporating too.

8. VincentHanna

Capodecina

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/no-jeremy-corbyn-didnt-mislead-10830250.amp

9. b0redj0rd

Hitman

"I don’t see why those that had the historical misfortune to be at university during the £9,000 period should be burdened excessively compared to those that went before or those that come after. I will deal with it.”

Previous post deleted for highlighting Diane Abbots incompetence with figures :rolleyes:. Labour supporting mod?

10. Mr Jack

Capodecina

There's a separate thread discussing Labour's issues. This one is about the Tories issues.

May now has the lowest ever approval figures for a UK Prime Minister. It's really a matter of time before she goes which puts all her potential replacements (including close friends of Jane Austen) in permanent campaign footing and that's really bad for cabinet unity.

11. DrToffnar

Mobster

Do you think we're likely to see another election as a result of that inevitable power struggle when the next leader is chosen? I assume the Tories did so poorly last time because May is/was seen as such a political incompetent (as well the whole 'dementia tax' debacle and a relatively strong opposition in Corbyn)

12. Mr Jack

Capodecina

The Tories won't call another election unless they're forced to, or there's a major change in political fortunes.

13. DrToffnar

Mobster

And you don't think that's likely? If they where to choose a more favourable leader that is.

14. chroniclard

Capodecina

Unless they moderate themselves, come back to a more centre position and get someone with personality/charisma as a leader I wouldn't vote for them again.

15. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Not really, no. Reality is setting in over Brexit, the economic news is grim, pay is falling again, and the run up to May being pushed is likely to be sordid. A new leader will enjoy a bounce but bounces don't win elections.

16. JeditOjanen

Mobster

I don't have access to it at work, but a news story over the weekend reported a senior Tory saying - only slightly paraphrased - that May is a sacrificial goat and they'll slit her throat at the appropriate time. She's gone as soon as the summer recess ends. The intervening period is going to be used by the Tories to figure out who will replace her.

17. FrenchTart

Man of Honour

Indeed. Thanks :)

18. Top_gun

Gangster

Or perhaps get another slap in the face like they did in the last election.

19. n111ck

Mobster

20. dalehitchy1

Perma Banned

lots of attacks on labour here in this tory thread. Seems like most are doing this because deep down they know the conservatives are messing this country up big time due to tory infighting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.