The cost of dd4

Soldato
Will we ever see the return of sane ram prices? They seem to have been high for ages now, is this just due to supply and demand issues?

Associate
This time it's Samsung, Hynix and Micron doing the price fixing and all 3 have been sued over price fixing before in the past. I remember reading China is also investigating them too and that could end in another lawsuit,.
Maybe we'll all get lucky and the fines will keep piling on and they cut it out and go back to reasonable prices and not ask 2-3 times the price we should be paying.

Soldato
China are investigating, also China are thinking about starting their own fabs for flash memory, they are heavily reliant on flash, more so than the enthusiast so within the next 2 years I can see something big happening. ATM this price fixing isn't helping anyone except those manufactures (Hynix/Samsung/Micron), anyone who makes phones, premade PC, tablets, TV's or anything with flash memory is losing money, I'm highly surprised the US and EU haven't started to do some investigations.

Associate
Im currently building my 8yr old his first gaming rig. im leaving RAM off the list for as long as possible. Im hoping the price drops this year.

Soldato
Xmas 2012 I purchased 32GB of Kingston 1600 DDR3 for £80 new from OCUK!

This month I managed to source 32GB of Kingston 2133 DDR4 for £240 new, this was by far the cheapest I could source. I really wanted 2600 but was not prepared to pay another £80 over the 2133 price!

Memory is definitely to much money when 32GB of DDR4 is around the same price as a 8th gen i7 CPU.

OcUK Staff
To be honest the prices have been coming back down for past couple of months, as 16G kits were around £180-£220 even for a 2400MHz, now on OcUK they are down as low as £135, still not the sub £100 levels they were once at and lower but the USD cost from those levels is now not a million miles away, of course the pound is far weaker now than it was back then, so even if we get back to those USD levels the price in sterling won't be where it once was, we need the pound to strengthen to get us back to the silly prices. :)

Soldato
the prices have gone down 10% or so, I need to buy another 16 gig, its expensive but I am been bottlenecked too heavily to my liking by 16 gig of ram. e.g. leaving chrome running and playing gta5 RP the game stutters swapping out to pagefile, FF15 has horrific memory leaks and as a result issues with 16 gig of ram as well.

When I checked the price of another 16 gig kit on OCUK compared to what I paid when I built my coffeelake, its down by about 10%.

I dont think we going to see major downward pricing (excess of 50%) for years, and only then if samsung and co get stung by threat of legal action.

The issue for me is if I ditch the 2 8 gig I got now and just buy a 32gig kit, or just to buy another 2 8 gig sticks, fleabay prices would have me throwing £40 or so away to sell this existing 16 gig.

Buying another 2 8 gig sticks means possible stability issues by using 4 dimm slots, and the problem I got right now with my cpu fan covering the 4th dimm slot.

Soldato
To be honest the prices have been coming back down for past couple of months, as 16G kits were around £180-£220 even for a 2400MHz, now on OcUK they are down as low as £135, still not the sub £100 levels they were once at and lower but the USD cost from those levels is now not a million miles away, of course the pound is far weaker now than it was back then, so even if we get back to those USD levels the price in sterling won't be where it once was, we need the pound to strengthen to get us back to the silly prices. :)

Prices of some just went back up again yesterday.

MY-08G-TG Team Group Vulcan T-Force 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Yesterday was £68.99. Today it's £71.99
So lets not pretend it's all a downward trend.

Honestly when a set of ram costs more than a Ryzen 7 you have to ask what even is life?

Soldato
TEAM GROUP XTREEM " EDITION" 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 PC4-32000C18 4000MHZ QUAD CHANNEL KIT - BLACK
£450 @ OCUK.

yeah i think i got a deal there hahaha never the less if you want great memory you have to pay through the nose... :/

Back
Top Bottom