The cost of living.

Caporegime
So they are trying to force everyone on to heat pumps now (because we don't like Russia). Which are rubbish, noisy and super expensive to retro-fit. Yay that will solve all the issues...

But are >100% efficient compared to any electric heater. (Up to 500% efficient depending on conditions)

I suppose it will come down to if a gas turbine power station and transmission is more efficient than a traditional gas boiler (or even modern condenser boiler)

Soldato
They will go up, inflation. That's why the rise in your costs matters to see if they are above inflation or as expected.

I have confirmed that is true (surprise, surprise), but the point originally was to show how someone might not notice overall. Might have been better to do it on a weekly interval, but will still be choppy.

You record your food spending?

Pretty much the case of downloading transactions from my bank and dragging it into a program and clicking on each item to accept them. Literally 5 mins of effort a month and a much better practice then not looking at your bank transactions. I started when I wanted to save for a house and still find it useful (and it now has so much data it is actually very interesting looking back in graph form - I have over half my life recorded in it now!).

Caporegime
I have confirmed that is true (surprise, surprise), but the point originally was to show how someone might not notice overall. Might have been better to do it on a weekly interval, but will still be choppy.

Pretty much the case of downloading transactions from my bank and dragging it into a program and clicking on each item to accept them. Literally 5 mins of effort a month and a much better practice then not looking at your bank transactions. I started when I wanted to save for a house and still find it useful (and it now has so much data it is actually very interesting looking back in graph form - I have over half my life recorded in it now!).

Oo what program I tried money dashboard but it want great at differentiating everything.

If its simple I'm interested but when I tried it was basically have to do it manualy

Soldato
Fun fact, the single person with no children benifits cap is £18200 according to this

https://howrichami.givingwhatwecan.org/how-rich-am-i?income=18200&countryCode=GBR&household[adults]=1&household[children]=0

That would make you richer (income wise) tha 94% of the world's population.
Ths is the amounts for the benefits cap from the gov site. Where did you find £18200 a year from for a single adult with no children?

Outside Greater London
The benefit cap outside Greater London is:

• £384.62 per week (£20,000 a year) if you’re in a couple
  • £384.62 per week (£20,000 a year) if you’re a single parent and your children live with you
  • £257.69 per week (£13,400 a year) if you’re a single adult
Inside Greater London
The benefit cap inside Greater London is:

• £442.31 per week (£23,000 a year) if you’re in a couple
  • £442.31 per week (£23,000 a year) if you’re a single parent and your children live with you
  • £296.35 per week (£15,410 a year) if you’re a single adult

Caporegime
Ths is the amounts for the benefits cap from the gov site. Where did you find £18200 a year from for a single adult with no children?

Outside Greater London
The benefit cap outside Greater London is:

• £384.62 per week (£20,000 a year) if you’re in a couple
  • £384.62 per week (£20,000 a year) if you’re a single parent and your children live with you
  • £257.69 per week (£13,400 a year) if you’re a single adult
Inside Greater London
The benefit cap inside Greater London is:

• £442.31 per week (£23,000 a year) if you’re in a couple
  • £442.31 per week (£23,000 a year) if you’re a single parent and your children live with you
  • £296.35 per week (£15,410 a year) if you’re a single adult

Sorry I'd gone of the old cap before it was lowered outdated google preview my bad

With the £13,400 cap you're only richer than 90.2% of the world instead of 94%

Soldato
Sorry I'd gone of the old cap before it was lowered outdated google preview my bad

With the £13,400 cap you're only richer than 90.2% of the world instead of 94%
Does that 90.2% of the world have the same costs as someone living in the UK in 2021? With typical rents, energy costs, and now heating costs, this is not a cheap place to live if you're poor.

Soldato
Does that 90.2% of the world have the same costs as someone living in the UK in 2021? With typical rents, energy costs, and now heating costs, this is not a cheap place to live if you're poor.

Just move to Vietnam and tell the Department for Work and Pensions to forward the monies so you can live like a king. Simples.

Associate
https://ijbnpa.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12966-015-0319-9

Reds on the traffic light significant reduce purchases.

Smaller serving means you can can have a red product Amber instead ad its done on servings size not 100g.

It's why that tiny 5" cake serves 14 in home bargins etc

Ah, yes but they just increase the number of serving sizes in the packet to compensate. It's not the same as actually reducing the size of the product (which incidentally is what I see happening with the healthy food as well). Given that the quality of a lot of things is also going down I think it's more likely price pressure driving it

Soldato
This shrinkflation is a cause of the obesity problem in this country. People used to eat one of something and it satisfied them. Now due to shrinking of products. some eat two of them. The products haven’t shrunk by half. Probably 20%. So they are eating 1.6 times more calories and fat. These people don’t just do this to one item. They will probably eat more in other foods.

Soldato
This shrinkflation is a cause of the obesity problem in this country. People used to eat one of something and it satisfied them. Now due to shrinking of products. some eat two of them. The products haven’t shrunk by half. Probably 20%. So they are eating 1.6 times more calories and fat. These people don’t just do this to one item. They will probably eat more in other foods.
Are all Heinz beans now 300g?

Associate
The thing I will never understand is the cost of house buying down south vs up north. I recently bought a house up north and the same house model is literally twice the price if I had bought in Essex. The pay from the same job pays only 3k more working from the London office... absolutely insane.

Back
Top Bottom