The cost of living.

Soldato
The old SDI engines are bulletproof and can run on anything remotely diesel-ish.

Rattly old diesel tech with no performance compared to modern diesels but what you lose on that, you gain on reliability (if serviced)...

It's the corrosion on the body/subframe/components that would be the issue, not the engine. Given your location (next to the sea), that would be your only concern with the salt spray

Yeah had an sdi since 2002 (bought new kept 18 yrs ish then this)
Service myself with premium parts its super solid, but tbf had tie bars track rod ends and laser tracing done recently for £100 ish all in, not totally needed but tie rod end jam nut stripped so had it all done, mot was pretty cheap also it always fails on handbrake but not much else. suspension bits every few years, ie wish bones, console bushes ect
No dpf obviously
Edit /actually chipped by previous owner, once its going it will stay in 5th and hold the legal limit, even hamburger hill (a30 mitchell where mcdonalds is)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't have a horse in this race because I don't live right now in the place you guys do but the days of BOGOFs and multibuys and BUY [x] get [y]% off semi-related product [z] are probably down the gurgler for the UK for the forseeable which - hilariously - was forseaable because a ton of UK imports and deals are from European suppliers who often footed some or all of the margin loss on those deals in your shops begining with 'T' and 'S' and, uh, 'M' (separately, not really) 'S', and not so much your Aldi's and Lidl's of this world because ... you can work the rest out I'm sure.

If you try to change the world and do a hamfisted job of it then expect the world you were used to become unfamiliar.

I work in the food manufacturing sector. Specifically Pizza's and before Desserts. I can assure you promotions are not going. We are still producing hundreds of thousands of Pizzas a day. Manufacturing labour is causing the sector a problem. Not importing raw materials.

If the price of food goes up it will be due to increasing labour costs due to supply and demand rather than imported raw materials.

Associate
Course they would. All the people who rent will have their rents whacking up as all the BTL landlords now need to pay a higher mortgage cost. Then the landlords who own outright will put their prices up too because that's now market rate and make even more money.

Interest rates going up could be disastrous for all the people who really high mortgages too and i imagine there'd be an uproar in the media with sob stories of people no longer being able to afford their house.
Yes, but it’s a bit more complicated when there are fixed term tenancies (and commercial leases) etc. Landlords not on fixed mortgage rates can get caught out by rapid interest rate rises before they can pass the costs onto tenants. Rent rises are a secondary affect, further down the line. As you say though, for landlords without mortgages, it can be a bit of a winner - as long as the rental market can withstand the rises in rent. In London, it’s possibly more likely, in other parts of the country it can get really messy for all.

Caporegime
Not good enough to justify the cost. Id rather just fit a couple of split AC units for a fraction of the price, which can heat and cool. A retro fitted heat pump will never pay for itself and its massive hassle fitting one.
That is a heat pump?

Or is the grant for a specific/the ground source ones?

If so my bad i thought they were recommending even the air exchange ones (reversible split ac).

Soldato
OP
Out of interest how much is a litre of petrol/diesel in your area?

The avg here (Durham) is 145.9p per litre, the highest I have seen is at a local service station at 160.9p per litre.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Filled yesterday at 139.7 in Reading (diesel) - Petrol a few pence cheaper. Firmly in the mid 140s at the more expensive outlets though.

Caporegime
One thing I've noticed is supermarket offers are all practically gone or now only on the more expensive offerings.

The orange juice we buy is no longer on the 3 for £4 deal.

The small packs of meat I buy is no longer on the 3 for £10 deal.

Soda water is no longer 3 for £1 just 50p each now.

Deals are all disappearing. Places like Aldi and Lidl don't sell half the stuff I buy like soda water. Having to do 2-3 different shops just isn't worth the time or hassle.

Most are now just lower prices.

Can't help but think the optics of multibuys in a shortage would be wrong or a brand doesn't want to risk being sold out and thus its customers trying somethig else

Caporegime
Most are now just lower prices.

Can't help but think the optics of multibuys in a shortage would be wrong or a brand doesn't want to risk being sold out and thus its customers trying somethig else

A lot of promotions are contracted in when the contract for a certain product is given to the supplier. The supermarkets don't really take a hit on it but the supplier itself. They are planned months in advance normally when a product will be at its worst performance. For example Soups during summer or Coleslaw during winter. The idea is to trick the brain into buying something and direct them onto other similar products.

Soldato
A lot of promotions are contracted in when the contract for a certain product is given to the supplier. The supermarkets don't really take a hit on it but the supplier itself. They are planned months in advance normally when a product will be at its worst performance. For example Soups during summer or Coleslaw during winter. The idea is to trick the brain into buying something and direct them onto other similar products.
We get merchandisers come into our work and plonk promotional material of their brands. They have moved other stuff and tickets of products nearby before plus put shippers in stupid places. They are a nuisance. No customer notices these things

Soldato
No customer notices these things

That's exactly the point. As in the post you quoted "the idea is to trick the brain into buying something".
Their data must show that the merchandising does work - otherwise they wouldn't be paying for it. So it's influencing customers but they don't notice it, they are doing their job well.

Soldato
Out of interest how much is a litre of petrol/diesel in your area?

The avg here (Durham) is 145.9p per litre, the highest I have seen is at a local service station at 160.9p per litre.

Its going up Shell put theres up after the shortage inline with the rest of their sites across the country at £1.43 then dropped to 142. Other places were lower but they seem to be creeping up to match it morrisons was 138p but now its 141 or 142

Soldato
OP
Just done my weekly shop, I am noticing less offers in the supermarkets, even the clubcard scheme that Tesco has seems por atm.

Using this as an example, I used to buy a crate of Pepsi max every month for my works locker, and I have no seen one lower than £8.50 in a long time, they used to be at £6.50 at least one week per month.

I feel that foods a really hard one to track as shopping varies so much each week. I've also just paid the highest so far this year to fill my tank up at £87.

Man of Honour
I'm in a fortunate position that we haven't been impacted. That said we're being sensible with money (we're looking to build an extension next year) but we're not cutting back on where / what we shop etc... went on a couple of holidays abroad etc... But that said I have noticed prices have gone up.

Soldato
OP
After what's happened lately, and increases in just about everything, anyone noticing any difference yet?

I have noticed a considerable amount of an increase on my monthly bills, nearly £400 a month from gas/electric/fuel and food alone.

Man of Honour
I'm retracting my previous post. We've made significant cut backs, even changed car. I did some forecasting and to keep our standard of living (kids clubs and activities) we're making a few changes. We've shaved off £200 per month. That should just about keep us on an even keel for now.

Caporegime
Not enough wiggle room for myself to keep left over cash same by cutting.

Really only easy costs to cut are cinema, meals out etc. My hobbies only really cost petrol.
I won't cut holidays, actually ramping this up after covid! So just going to absorb it.
Already work Full time at home.

Fixed for energy until 2024 on what is now a good rate!
Council tax rise here is small (2 percent).
So it's only mortgage that's a concern. And it is a concern!

Luckily my student loan pays off in April so that 180 a month extra + a 2k pay rise will be well welcomed and balance out the cost of living increase.

Associate
If war continues in Ukraine wheat supply is going to be a problem which will affect industries in Europe like logging and others. Was looking at a few investor portfolios, 60% up on Oil, Wheat etc. The people are told too put there heating down 1c to help out you couldnt make this up.

Back
Top Bottom