The Crown Netflix

Permabanned
Surprised no one has been talking about this. Supposedly their most expensive show to date and it's about the British Monarchy. First season went up for streaming today.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4786824/

The Crown focuses on Queen Elizabeth II as a 25-year-old newlywed faced with the daunting prospect of leading the world's most famous monarchy while forging a relationship with legendary Prime Minister, Sir Winston Churchill. The British Empire is in decline, the political world is in disarray, and a young woman takes the throne....a new era is dawning. Peter Morgan's masterfully researched scripts reveal the Queen's private journey behind the public facade with daring frankness. Prepare to be welcomed into the coveted world of power and privilege and behind locked doors in Westminster and Buckingham Palace....the leaders of an empire await.

Man of Honour
Not really my thing but watched the first and half the second episode and seems decent so far - quite impressive subtleties to the acting at times and capturing of mannerisms, etc.

Caporegime
I have to concur after watching 3 episodes and not being a royalist on any level.

This show is excellent.

It just shows that excellent writing, acting with terrific mise-en -scene and cinematography can take a subject matter I have zero interest in and make it utterly compelling.

Show like this, Just highlight how lame shows like the walking dead are...

This show is one of the best I have seen since Breaking Bad.

Soldato
Surprised no one has been talking about this.
I would imagine a lot of people (I will admit to being one of those) knew it existed but dismissed it. I did get an email recommendation from Netflix but I binned it given Netflix often recommends utter tripe. I presumed it would be one of those dramas similar to the ones made about Kate & Will and Diana & Dodi which, although I haven't seen them, seemed to be cheap sensationalist dramas so far from the truth it was laughable.

On the strength of this thread though I'll now give it a go :)

Soldato
Been watching this, brilliant

It's filling in gaps on stuff I did not know historically , setting and production is brilliant as is the acting, she has mastered the voice of elizibeth brlliantly

Last edited:
Associate
I binged the whole series over two days. Fantastic. I personally think it's one of the best Netflix Orginals yet. I am so glad they are already filming season two.

The casting choices, for me where spot on. Being a massive Dr Who fan I thought I would struggle seeing Matt Smith as anything but the Doctor but he really does Prince Philip justice. John Lithgow as Sir Winston is a good casting call too.

Associate
Watched this over the weekend. Highly recommended and I generally don't have a lot of time for the monarchy. John Lithgow as Churchill made it for me - loved the episode where he was getting his portrait painted! Hoping they bring out a Season 2 carrying on from where it left off.

Back
Top Bottom