The current obsession with popping exhausts

Associate
On my first 5-pot Focus ST it gave some nice random pops when you changed gear, running 3" downpipe with decat and standard back box so it was still fairly sociable overall.

Moving on to second ST it's running a full Mongoose with sports cat so the pops & bangs are rare but you get nice burble at low revs or on the overrun. Showing my age but I've no desire to draw unwanted attention to my car or upset the neighbours just from starting the thing up in the morning. Having heard what an ST system with 2 small cans before the outlets sounds like I dread to think what that straight through system sounds like!

Pops & bangs sound cool on rally cars changing gear at full beans, not the same on cars now where it's engineered into give a bit more 'fun' to the ownership experience, or where remaps specifically aim to do the same.

Soldato
A friend of mine had his Impreza remapped so that it would only pop and bang on overrun if the throttle was pressed slightly. It meant generally the car was socially accepted ( :D ) but he had the option to earn himself an ASBO if he felt like it.

I think it was 3" turbo back into an Afterburner Vortex so it did sound pretty awesome. None of this inline 4 whizz-bang Focus RS nonsense.

Man of Honour
I don’t get it either. Listen to a Lambo, mclaren, ferrari etc. Loud, but a beautiful real noise.

Some of the cars that go passed by house just make me lol. I have on occasion pointed and laughed.

Soldato
I quite like the noise my i30n makes (and it does have a quieter option) :p some of the focus RS I’ve seen are OTT with the pops n bangs though !

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Not finding the RS3 too bad, in normal modes it’s very quiet when driving around normally, only starts to sound a bit silly when sticking it in dynamic mode.

Did catch me out first time having a play in it downshifting from high revs, sounded like a firework going off.

The thing that is annoying is the silly little engine rev that’s mapped in on start, along with the minute or so of high revs on cold start.

If I could safely map that out I’d be happy :)

Soldato
I don't think i've owned a car that doesn't do the minute of high revs on cold start - that's for warming up the cat to maximise emissions performance in test cycles isn't it?

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Previous Golf didn’t do it as ‘aggressively’ lol, never noticed it on that.

The thing that makes it annoying is whilst it’s doing that the gearbox doesn’t engage properly, like it’s keeping the clutch slipping/dragging.

So you press the accelerator to get going, and rather than moving off normally the revs rise and you kind of get going :p

Just annoying as it’s not the quietest when doing this!

Then after a minute it’s all normal.

Man of Honour
I don't think i've owned a car that doesn't do the minute of high revs on cold start - that's for warming up the cat to maximise emissions performance in test cycles isn't it?

Emissions, the OEM strategies I'm familiar with use a combination of wider throttle openings with a heavy dose of ignition retard and fuel enrichment to pre-heat the cat to get it up to operating temp faster

I thought pops and bangs was for throttle response and keeping the turbo spooled? I always thought mondern cars were mapped for that reason?

It is on cars with DCT/DSG type boxes, rather than closing the throttle for a shift they reduce torque with ignition retard.

For a manual it does nothing, throttle is closed so there is nowhere near enough airflow through the engine to stop boost dropping

Soldato
There are a lot of weird trends with cars though... hydraulic “bouncy” suspension in America. Having wheels that are angled upwards (no idea what the real term is but it looks utterly stupid).

Soldato
They are looking around and trying to find the end of the bell.
That doesn't really make sense to be honest. A "bell end" which you are clearly suggesting here is what the shape of the end of a penis looks like, not the end of a bell. The end of a bell usually has a ring, rim or a knob depending in which side you are looking from. :D

Man of Honour
That doesn't really make sense to be honest. A "bell end" is what the shape of the end of a penis looks like, not the end of a bell. The end of a bell usually has a ring, rim or a knob depending in which side you are looking from. :D
I’m leaving that there.

Man of Honour
I'd rather hear engine over exhaust. Feels like modern cars have excessively silly/artificial sounding muffled and louder exhausts with pops and bangs in order to compensate for the muted turbocharged engines all in the supposed name of being sporty. Is this is the second chapter of the 'M Sport/AMG sport/S-Line' trim fad?

Shame.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom