The current obsession with popping exhausts

Soldato
I'd rather hear engine over exhaust. Feels like modern cars have excessively silly/artificial sounding muffled and louder exhausts with pops and bangs in order to compensate for the muted turbocharged engines all in the supposed name of being sporty. Is this is the second chapter of the 'M Sport/AMG sport/S-Line' trim fad?

Shame.
I'd rather hear someone dragging their fingernails down a blackboard than an S54 engine to be fair. If I wanted to hear a bag of nails then I'd just put a load of nails in a bag.

Soldato
That doesn't really make sense to be honest. A "bell end" which you are clearly suggesting here is what the shape of the end of a penis looks like, not the end of a bell. The end of a bell usually has a ring, rim or a knob depending in which side you are looking from. :D

Guess I was right then :p

Associate
Standard Focus ST225 could be made to do it, but I never found it does it unless forced, slightly easier once Mountuned (standard map), but I've always found it to be a conscious decision to do so.

I don't get why it is a popular thing though, I've noticed it more on a lot of 4 pot cars, is this the manufacturer deliberately making them do so as it makes it sound like it has more cylinders (perhaps for Euro5 or 6 regulations?) or is it people changing the exhaust for the same reason?

Caporegime
I'd rather hear engine over exhaust. Feels like modern cars have excessively silly/artificial sounding muffled and louder exhausts with pops and bangs in order to compensate for the muted turbocharged engines all in the supposed name of being sporty. Is this is the second chapter of the 'M Sport/AMG sport/S-Line' trim fad?

Shame.

Crap. You'd hate mine then. The engine sounds...iffy. but that's because you can only really hear 1 bank of 3 cylinders at a time!

Soldato
It wasn't intentionally set up to do that on the mk2 Focus ST/RS. It did it when you came off the turbo I think.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My car sounds its very best when on the cold start cycle when all the baffles open up, even the ones that don't open up when the sport button is pressed. Really loud and to be heard in about 4 hours leaving a station near, some people.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Maybe?

:p

The exhaust should only make a racket when provoked (going for a hoon). It should be refined and tasteful at all other times.

Soldato
Soldato

Shame.

I think manufacturers should take the Ford/GT86 route with basically piping induction noise into the cabin. Works well and less cheaty than piping in artificial noise.

Soldato
OP
I was reminded about another current pet hate by an old Bora I see regularly on my way home... hardcut ('popcorn' :rolleyes:) diesel limiters. This mouth breather has to demonstrate he has one of these devices (or maps, I don't know) at every junction and on every gear change. Weirdly he never actually seems to pull any distance on the rest of the traffic just doing the commute slog though :/

Soldato
My MK2 Focus ST did it on demand with a little blip of the throttle. I tended not to do it as you always read people on forums etc saying that their cats has collapsed.

My Megane R26 F1 gives the odd burble on lift off but nothing anywhere near as bad/loud.

Whenever I read about people having it ''mapped in" there are equally stories of exhaust valves burning out.

Soldato
I think manufacturers should take the Ford/GT86 route with basically piping induction noise into the cabin. Works well and less cheaty than piping in artificial noise.

Only problem is if you change stuff on the intake or exhaust it can end up sounding wrong (or too loud) and you have to disconnect it. As they are kinda "tuned" for the stock setup :p

E.g. I changed just the intake pipe to a solid aluminium one on my GT86 and it completely changed the sound in the cabin. It got about 25% louder and much deeper. Great if you want more noise without waking next door I suppose.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Only problem is if you change stuff on the intake or exhaust it can end up sounding wrong (or too loud) and you have to disconnect it. As they are kinda "tuned" for the stock setup :p

E.g. I changed just the intake pipe to a solid aluminium one on my GT86 and it completely changed the sound in the cabin. It got about 25% louder and much deeper. Great if you want more noise without waking next door I suppose.
Yeah true... although I suppose not a concern for manufacturer :p

Back
Top Bottom