The current obsession with popping exhausts

Soldato
What about a Chiron? Do you look at that and think it looks awful?

Or a AMG GT-R? Or Audi R8?

It always looks awful. If your paying that much for a car you at least expect proper chrome, titanium or carbon exhaust ends. Not some tacky plastic which is actually part of the bumper and has a very obvious gap between it and the real exhaust.

Soldato
It always looks awful. If your paying that much for a car you at least expect proper chrome, titanium or carbon exhaust ends. Not some tacky plastic which is actually part of the bumper and has a very obvious gap between it and the real exhaust.

I’m not sure why, so it can look dated and have no practical advantage?

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that insurance actually benefits from fake exhaust trim as the cost to repair is lower in low speed bumps.

Also from a design perspective it frees up manufacturers to be able to create better looking cars. Case in point, the new Vantage looks awful with those tiny proper exhaust pipes sticking out the back. The AMG GT though looks great with fake trim.

Soldato
If you get hit hard enough to damage the bumper it's probably going to damage the exhaust as well anyway..

But it doesn't look dated, cheap plastic instead of metal looks dated. It also looks like poor "craftsmanship", because they don't need to bother making it fit properly.

Last edited:
Soldato
If a car throws that much fuel through the exhaust to get flames, its setup wrong.

well not really "wrong" when it is setup to do that? it is setup "right" if it that's what people want.

as I've said it is all about keeping the cars "exciting" as some of the new turbo engines would sound absolutely rubbish without the fakes pops, crackles etc - m3/m4/4cyl cayman etc.

manufacturers have to do something to keep it interesting and majority of the buyers like the cracks and pops which is why they're there.

there are people who take it to silly levels but who am I to judge what people do with their cars.

Soldato

Mine are chrome coated steel, held to the bumper with 3 screws.

Soldato
340i was far too quiet for my liking. Had burbles on the overrun and if you blipped it at idle. Gave the aforementioned 'WHumphfff' when changing up with more than say 50% throttle, and on a very rare occasion(not often enough for me) it'd give off a unshot. When i say rare, I mean i had it for 24k miles, and it did it twice.

now have an XJ6N with a titanium exhaust system which is lovely and loud. I do keep it as quiet as i can when I go to/come back from work at 0615, and 2315, but in the middle of the day it sounds glorious! It burbles on the overrun, though I don't think loud at all, and does let off a deep bang when the exhaust is cold and you let the revs drop through 4.5k rpm

Yes, yes I am a chav :D

Associate
My Caterham pops a bit when you take your foot off after enthusiastic acceleration. It's not tuned to do that specifically (road legal, but set up for the track). Given the exhaust is on the side it sounds good :)

Associate
My Z4 has the odd pop or crack when being driven hard, but sounds perfectly sedate at normal driving levels. Can get it to burble a bit if you prod the throttle with the engine around 3k rpm if desired, found it fun at first but not something I do anymore.

Back
Top Bottom