The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance | Netflix

Soldato

Light the fires of resistance! Join Deet, Rian and Brea on an epic quest to find hope in darkness, save Thra, and reveal their destiny. Nothing will ever be the same.

A Netflix Original Series from the Jim Henson Company and visionary director Louis Leterrier, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance premieres August 30.

Soldato
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-dark-crystal-age-of-resistance-netflix.18862566/

A few posts down. Not many posts though. Suppose it doesn't really matter which thread gets used.

Might as well continue here, now I've started. :p

I didn't see the film when I was younger. I didn't even know about it until fairly recently. Not sure how I never came across it, as I saw Labyrinth many times.

I enjoyed the film and watching the trailer, it looks they have done a good job with this series. I'm looking forward to watching it.

It's getting good reviews on RT.

Soldato
Watching ep1 atm and so far its very well made visually. Voice acting is hmm very british, which i dunno if its a good thing or not, as i think the original had a American cast. I mean its good and all but something is off when i remember the film version. One of the skeleks (sp) sounds just like the original tho the mmmm one.

I dunno about the lipsyncing as well. Seems a little off to me.

Its building up ok so far tho as i watch.

Soldato
Watching ep1 atm and so far its very well made visually. Voice acting is hmm very british, which i dunno if its a good thing or not, as i think the original had a American cast. I mean its good and all but something is off when i remember the film version. One of the skeleks (sp) sounds just like the original tho the mmmm one.

The Scientist character is Mark Hamill, as for the lip sync. They recorded the voices afterwards, there wasn’t supposed to be correctly synced lips.

It looks great in 4K Dolby Vision.

Associate
They were originally going to do this as an animated series but Netflix decided to commission a much more expensive live action.

Good on Netflix I say, it's really great to see them trying something different, looking forward to watching the series.

Caporegime
Guys, this series is absolutely god damn amazing. I was a big fan of the origina (and very disturbing) film that I watched as a kid in the 80's, and there has never been anytthing like it or that bettered it. Until now.

The scale and scope of this series is simply staggering, intimidating even when you think about the effort that must have gone into it. Rarely ( I hate to say never, but...) have I seen a fantasy world created with such loving attention to detail, with such imagination... you can watch some scenes 3-4 times to drink it all in. All of the weird and wonderful creatures and landscapes are a genuine sight to behold. It feels eerily real.

And the puppetry... ahh the glorious puppetry. The fact that this series is almost all live-action puppetry and actors in costume with judiciously and very well crafted CGI is what really makes it magical and brings it to life. I can hardly imagine the work that had to go into this, and after such a long break to the original movie the Henson Company have got it pretty much spot on. The story is amazing, the script and voice acting are amazing (for the most part), it is full of humour (I love the Podlings, they are hilariously portrayed and there are so many good and touching scenes with them in it) and I have genuinely never seen anything like it. It is a labour of love where clearly no expense or effort was spared in recreating their vision.

I am about halfway through the season and so far can't recommend it highly enough. If it continues with this level of quality it will be the most memorable series of recent times for me. :)

Dude, it's live-action puppets... of course it's not going to be lipsynced. :eek:

lolwut? They made that movie into a series?

Wow. I guess nothing is safe from being resurrected/ reimagined/ rebooted these days...
Weird comment, why does it have to be 'safe'? The TV series of The Dark Crystal is amazing and intended as a prequel that expands on the events in the movie. It's a compliment to it, not a replacement.

Anyone else noticed the "enforced" blur at the edges of the picture. Really could do without that, looks awful (unless its my tv going on the blink!).

Nope, haven't noticed that at all.

Permabanned
Beautiful from start to finish. Incredibly picky when it comes to TV and whilst it helps that I'm a huge fan of the film and Graphic Novels, it really is the best thing I've seen put out in quite some time. Just a very honest and creatively fulfilling piece of artistry. You can tell everyone involved wanted to do the best they possibly could in honour of Jim and his legacy. Just astonishing.

Soldato
Beautiful from start to finish. Incredibly picky when it comes to TV and whilst it helps that I'm a huge fan of the film and Graphic Novels, it really is the best thing I've seen put out in quite some time. Just a very honest and creatively fulfilling piece of artistry. You can tell everyone involved wanted to do the best they possibly could in honour of Jim and his legacy. Just astonishing.
Well based off that insightful recommendation I'll give this a try. The 8.7 score on imdb seems to back you up. ;)

Permabanned
So if I'd never seen anything related to this film first or start with the prequel then the film?

I don't think it really matters. I'd lean more towards film first but a lot of people struggle with it and might be put off entirely... whilst the practical effects and puppetry are as beautiful as they ever where, the story is a little lacking and you have to go some way to forgiving it for that.

I think either way works. The show fills in a lot of narrative holes, as well as add some much needed padding and thematic relevance to what happens in the film...

Go series, then film actually :)

Back
Top Bottom