The deal with Talk Talk

Soldato
ok well my dad seems to want to look into the free talk talk broadband, we are currently on 2mb BT and were going to upgrade to 8mb.

now ive been reading about p2p throtteling (sp) what do you mean, that the speeds you get from p2p will be extremly slow

also whats this about packet shaping.

i mainly use the internet for gaming, im sure that this is rather dodgy so anyone like to explan?

Soldato
Same position here really. We are looking to switch to them, my Uncle already has but they cant connect him until May.

They say they prioritise gaming and HTTP traffic, but limit P2P which im cool with, but does anyone know if they are OK for speeds, particularly gaming pings?

cheers

Caporegime
Vicious said:
now ive been reading about p2p throtteling (sp) what do you mean, that the speeds you get from p2p will be extremly slow

Yup.

also whats this about packet shaping.

Same as above. Packet shaping's getting closer to a "proper" name for "P2P Throttling".

i mainly use the internet for gaming

At last count (which admittedly was a looong time ago), TT's attempt at packet shaping broke most games (and it seems to break ADSLguide's new speedtester too :confused: ).

im sure that this is rather dodgy

Huh? :confused:

I'd take a look here (and maybe here) before I even considered signing up for 18 months with them.

Last edited:
Soldato
As ever, you get what you pay for :)

The more restricted it is, the less transfer happening. The less they pay. As for avoiding Shaping/Throttling, it's going to be nigh on impossible soon as more and more ISPs are taking this on. In a world where it's easy to download up to 100gb in a month, ISPs have to try and reduce their costs.

Soldato
They advertise it as trafficed, but not blocked mate.

William, you couldnt comment on gaming speeds by any chance could you? We are looking to move to them, and im cool with it as long as im not getting stupidly high pings.

Back
Top Bottom