1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Democratic 2020 Primaries

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by BowdonUK, Jun 29, 2019.

1. robfosters

Caporegime

Ok, 4 years initially, but all presidents go into office aiming for 8.

Do you think he’s fit for the position though? Not in character or politics, but age and fitness terms?

2. StriderX

Capodecina

I have no clue, i'd assume no, but realistically nothing stops him from running and limiting by age isn't constitutional, limiting by health might be justified, but as said...

3. Evangelion

Capodecina

No, and that's another good reason why Trump should not be seeking a second term.

4. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Biden's goose is cooked on this race. Warren overtaking him in recent polling and the Trump controversy damaging despite it being nonsense. And now announcing a huge drop off in campaign funding.

And Bernie is a question mark with his recent health issue. It would certainly be beneficial to beating Trump for the Democrats to coalesce around one candidate earlier than last time out. The drawn out and acrimonious primary campaign between Clinton and Saunders did Clinton no favours at all.

5. Evangelion

Capodecina

Biden has establishment support, and I'd be astonished if he hasn't got the super delegates locked up already. It's hard to envisage any scenario in which he does not win the nomination.

6. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Warren has reeled him in even with Bernie in the race, and her and Bernie are competing at the same end of the party - there's a lot of overlap, so she's likely to pick up his support if/when he drops. Plus, she's just been better than him for the whole campaign - that sort of performance keeps gaining support, whereas Biden has simply demonstrated his unsuitability more and more.

7. doodah

Capodecina

All true but Evangelion is right, do not underestimate him largely due to the colossal establishment support he has. Warren is a threat to a number of special interests.

8. Evangelion

Capodecina

^^ This.

Bernie can't even keep up with Warren, let alone Biden. He's performing worse than he did at the last election. Warren just has to hope the Bernie Bros don't turn on her like they turned on Hillary when Sanders crashed out of the race.

9. StriderX

Capodecina

Bernie just has to bow out and say's he supports Warren and that he's putting what effort he can to support her. If the morons think that's not enough, then frankly they're not worth the breath.

There's no way he can be President in the health he's in, it's sick to think people want to force him to do so.

10. Evangelion

Capodecina

That's what he should do right now, but he won't. Just like the last election, he'll wait for as long as possible, and his supporters will vote against Warren out of spite.

11. StriderX

Capodecina

It's clearly not the same this time though, they've been working together mostly from the beginning, i always thought it was more than just a strategy. He's staying in much the same way Corbyn is, but frankly his health comes first, i doubt he's silly enough to think flying across the country every day next year on the campaign trail assuming he'd actually win at all is a good idea.

Frankly he's more useful as a mentor, a progressive sensei so to speak, which is obviously weird considering they aren't that far apart age-wise, but she's clearly more able.

12. Evangelion

Capodecina

He should have run with her in the last election. I reckon that was their one big chance. Unfortunately she wasn't prepared to stand as a candidate back then.

13. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Biden falling behind on fundraising:

14. Evangelion

Capodecina

Sanders' campaign has confirmed that he suffered a heart attack.

Best option for him is to drop out now, and push all his support to Warren. If he tries to hang on, it'll end up hurting both of them.

15. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Yup. He has form for doing the exact opposite though.

16. Evangelion

Capodecina

Yep, he'll cling on until the bitter end, and the Bernie Bros will vote Trump again because they don't want a woman in the White House.

17. StriderX

Capodecina

Well we can't know for sure until he's ready to make a statement, if he keeps trying to push himself, i'll lose respect for him completely, it might make him look like a "strong" person after a heart attack, but to me... in the current political situation, i can only look upon it with distaste.

He should just relax, as it would appear he doesn't have a great deal of time left and i feel he's doing a disservice to himself and his family if he continues.

18. cheesyboy

Capodecina

19. Evangelion

Capodecina

Bloody hell, Warren's numbers are soaring. Could this be an October surprise?

20. viathinair

Wise Guy

Those numbers are meaningless - Biden will get the nomination, and Trump will be re-elected. Those things happening are what the Dems need, so they can finally learn a decent lesson or two. If so, then they should build towards super-majorities in both chambers by 2024 + the Presidency. That's what I'm hoping for in the long run, as I think super-majorities are the only way to get good change, e.g. proper healthcare reform, done.