The down sides of buying online

Associate
I wanted to create this thread about buying online. One of the down sides to buying online is having to waste many hours of the day or days waiting in for deliveries especially when no tracking info provided or the seller takes a week to dispatch goods.

Generally its not so bad if things are being delivered by royal mail because if you miss a delivery then you know its either going to be re-delivered or the parcel will be at the sorting office. If something is being delivered by Hermes and your not in it can be returned back to sender.

Today has been one of those days I've been waiting in all day bored and still no sign of the post man and I have no tracking info despite asking the sellers to provide some details. I've got many deliveries that should be arriving today or tomorrow some will run into next week. Its now the afternoon and still no sign of the postman. I feel like going out but if I do I could miss deliveries or I could continue to wait in and waste the whole day if nothing arrives.

Many people will say "Don't buy online" but that is the only option today because the high street has nothing interesting and its expensive. Nearly everything has moved online so there isn't really an option to not buy online if you want decent things.

I guess getting the things you want and getting things much cheaper has a price and that is time.

Associate
As above use a locker, or buy one of those parcel boxes you can leave at your front door.

This, I've got a medium size parcel box and it's brilliant. I rarely order anything too big to fit in it but that usually gets left by the box anyway, even though the box is up the lane from my house.
I do live in a fairly remote area though so I don't worry about parcels going missing.

Associate
Depending your point of view, it could be better, or worse. One of the drivers from a big couriers firm almost always drops small items at a shop. It's annoying as heck for me. I am almost always home. In your case though, it sounds ideal :)

Associate
OP
Oh no how will you cope?
Making a thread :D

In all seriousness its a modern day issue. I had a lucky buy on something on ebay I will never be able to buy again other stuff is clothing I have to order clothes online because as said above. Its really annoying having entire days wasted or when sellers are to lazy to provide tracking info.

Soldato
I am the opposite personally.

Shopping at....shops... is my idea of hell. Have to get up, get dressed, leave the house, drive as I live in the middle of nowhere.

Get there, cant find parking, drive around eventually find overpriced parking with hardly any spaces, go to pay, nope, cash no acccepted, download the app (FFS) then try and figure that out. Pay.

Find the shop, get harrased by the staff, can I help you? I am thinking yes, build a bloody car park.

Spend ages not finding what I am looking for to find something, similar, not as good, more expensive to be told, oh yea sorry, thats out of stock, you can order it now we can deliver it to your house the next working day.....

Even clothes I buy online now, mostly from ebay.

Food shopping I get Tesco to deliver it.

Associate
OP
As above use a locker, or buy one of those parcel boxes you can leave at your front door.
That all sounds like a good idea except its not possible to do where I live there is no space to put it plus the outside area is shared by my neighbor who is in a wheelchair so he wouldn't be able to get past. I guess I could ask my Mom if I could put one outside her door but I'm pretty sure the answer will be no.

I don't normally order so many things at once but on this occasion I needed new clothes so I bought a lot but after this it will just be the odd thing here and there where I can go out and not worry about it.

Caporegime
I wanted to create this thread about buying online. One of the down sides to buying online is having to waste many hours of the day or days waiting in for deliveries especially when no tracking info provided or the seller takes a week to dispatch goods.

Generally its not so bad if things are being delivered by royal mail because if you miss a delivery then you know its either going to be re-delivered or the parcel will be at the sorting office. If something is being delivered by Hermes and your not in it can be returned back to sender.

Today has been one of those days I've been waiting in all day bored and still no sign of the post man and I have no tracking info despite asking the sellers to provide some details. I've got many deliveries that should be arriving today or tomorrow some will run into next week. Its now the afternoon and still no sign of the postman. I feel like going out but if I do I could miss deliveries or I could continue to wait in and waste the whole day if nothing arrives.

Many people will say "Don't buy online" but that is the only option today because the high street has nothing interesting and its expensive. Nearly everything has moved online so there isn't really an option to not buy online if you want decent things.

I guess getting the things you want and getting things much cheaper has a price and that is time.

pay for better delivery

suck it up.

move to a city with amazon prime

welcome to 2022.

Try living in the arctic circle for a while? :p

Caporegime
I get it delivered to work when working at the office.
I get it delivered to home when working from home.

The only time I would sit at home waiting is if i am working from the office but the item is too large to carry it back home. Actually i did that once, I delivered the OLED TV to work, had to borrow a van to take it home!

The only time a problem arises is that I accidentally sent it to home but that day i had to be in the office. But then it either gt left with a neighbour or get carded in which case i direct it to the nearest UPS/DHL drop off point for the next day.

Associate
OP
I am the opposite personally.

Shopping at....shops... is my idea of hell. Have to get up, get dressed, leave the house, drive as I live in the middle of nowhere.

Get there, cant find parking, drive around eventually find overpriced parking with hardly any spaces, go to pay, nope, cash no acccepted, download the app (FFS) then try and figure that out. Pay.

Find the shop, get harrased by the staff, can I help you? I am thinking yes, build a bloody car park.

Spend ages not finding what I am looking for to find something, similar, not as good, more expensive to be told, oh yea sorry, thats out of stock, you can order it now we can deliver it to your house the next working day.....

Even clothes I buy online now, mostly from ebay.

Food shopping I get Tesco to deliver it.
When I lived in North Carolina you didn't even need ebay because they have shops there that sell what people want. Lots of parking and its free plenty of yard sales, thrift stores etc lots of clothing stores and then there is Walmart which literally has everything. The UK has nothing in the shops, everything is overpriced and not very good and like you said spend ages not finding what I am looking for to find something, similar, not as good.

Associate
OP
The most annoying thing is knowing I could have done something today, the sun is out, it will be 3pm soon and still no sign of the post man it don't look like they are delivering anything today and then tomorrow I have to do the same thing all over again.

Soldato
When I lived in North Carolina you didn't even need ebay because they have shops there that sell what people want. Lots of parking and its free plenty of yard sales, thrift stores etc lots of clothing stores and then there is Walmart which literally has everything. The UK has nothing in the shops, everything is overpriced and not very good and like you said spend ages not finding what I am looking for to find something, similar, not as good.

Yes correct, through playing Cities Skylines I spent a lot of time looking at American cities on Google maps and street view, and I reckon roughly about 30% of the land area in American cities is car parking.

Caporegime
I have my stuff dropped at a concealed spot outside my house, and I live in a pretty good area anyway, so I've never had stuff nicked. As a result, I never have to stay in for deliveries. The only thing that really sucks is waiting a few days for it to arrive.

Back
Top Bottom