The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

Soldato
2011-11-19_00022.jpg

Apparently Giants aren't to be messed with... This is what happened to me when I got a bit too close :eek::p.

Associate
Loving this game - i bought it as filler whilst waiting for my GFX Card to return from OCUK RMA (and couldnt play BF3 any more). Now i rarely load BF3 at all any more, who'd a thought it...

Im playing a lvl28 Nord berserker on adept, minimal use of magic (heals, soul trap, fire sometimes to set oil puddles alight), and shouts ofc is the way i roll. I have got my full dragon armour set, using ebony 2H and bow (thanks orcs for letting me use your mine, sorry for the ore i stole from the cart outside).

I have a couple of combat questions..

- How am i supposed to "power block" - i took the perk that slows down time when i block an opponents power move, but never seem to get the block right in this animation and can take a lot of damage that way.

- Also i seem weak against fire mages / pyromancers. Frost is ok due to my racial but fire terrifies me! I have to employ all sorts of lame tactics like running away and peeping round corners, is there a tactic that can help me here? Poor Lydia got grilled due to my cowardice against a pyromancer.

Soldato
Can people explain how they're playing the game?

Mages?

Warriors?

Sneaky sneaky?

Mixes? I'm really interested in how other people are playing this :)

I'm playing an interesting mix.

Always have a bow on me, and tend to hit stuff from a far with archery some times. I find it quite fun trying to pick targets off at 200m and then finding them dead when I get about five minutes further into the dungeon... To be honest though, after the first shot I tend to just run in with sword, unless there is huge potential for picking targets off with a bow.

On the other hand though, if I get in and think that the guys aren't that far from me, I'll probably duel wield a fire spell at them, make them run to me. Basically throw two solid fire spells into them and then take out a sword.

If it's a target I'm really struggling with for some reason I'll resort to sneakily picking off about half it's health with bow. Then send two fire spells into it as it runs at me. When it gets to me, I then tend to Ice Form it. Then smash it over the head with the sword (power attack), and as it's standing up, slash at it as fast as possible. - Very few things get up after that xD

Is that plate/leather? What race are you, as that armour looks amazing!

Dragon Scale - boots/plates/glove. Ebony sword (until I find some daedric hearts) - and Iron arrows for now xD (until I get more elven)...

Female Breton I'm playing as.

Loving this game - i bought it as filler whilst waiting for my GFX Card to return from OCUK RMA (and couldnt play BF3 any more). Now i rarely load BF3 at all any more, who'd a thought it...

Im playing a lvl28 Nord berserker on adept, minimal use of magic (heals, soul trap, fire sometimes to set oil puddles alight), and shouts ofc is the way i roll. I have got my full dragon armour set, using ebony 2H and bow (thanks orcs for letting me use your mine, sorry for the ore i stole from the cart outside).

I have a couple of combat questions..

- How am i supposed to "power block" - i took the perk that slows down time when i block an opponents power move, but never seem to get the block right in this animation and can take a lot of damage that way.

- Also i seem weak against fire mages / pyromancers. Frost is ok due to my racial but fire terrifies me! I have to employ all sorts of lame tactics like running away and peeping round corners, is there a tactic that can help me here? Poor Lydia got grilled due to my cowardice against a pyromancer.

I also found that mine! It's awesome!
Not sure about your first question, as for the second, there's not too much you can do. Best bet I'd say is get resist fire enchant on your armour? Alternatively, get a lesser/steadfast ward spell?

kd

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm running a mix of mage and rogue though I think I'm spreading myself too thin as I'm having trouble with some of the mobs I'm facing at level 20. I've started the mage college quests and finished the first couple of missions so think I'll go through the full mage route. Maxed out backstab option for daggers just incase though find I prefer using Dwarven bow of frost.

Soldato
Started again with a stealthy archer lizard guy, finding playing the stealthy game quite fun!

Where do you go to start the thieves guild and the dark brotherhood guild quest lines?

The Thieves' Guild can be found in the Ratways beneath Riften. Their headquarters there is The Ragged Flagon.

But first you need to:

One of the NPCs asks you to do "a simple job" for him when you first visit Riften that you need to complete before being invited to the inn.

Associate
Have you tried bringing up the prid for the NPCs in question and using moveto player in the console to spawn them back at where you are at? make sure they aren't disabled either, something like:

prid <unit id>
enable
resurrect 1
moveto player

should work.

Thanks, do you know a list of npc id's?

Soldato
I'm itching to buy myself a second house. Is the one in Solitude nice? How much is it? I won the war between the Legion and the Stormcloaks. Is that enough for them to let me buy property or do I need to do more?

Permabanned
Where do you start the dark brotherhood?

youve got to visit this kid Aventus Aretino whos tell u to kill this genk women in an orphanage in riften just above the ratway by the prison guard. When you go into his house hes doing a prayer on the floor, see's you and thinks he has summoned you as he was praying to the dark brotherhood. the quest is called innocence lost.

Associate
Could not get into Oblivion no matter how hard i tried...

Really enjoying Skyrim
First SP game in a long time to hold my attention for more than 5 minutes

level 33 Nord

Smithing
Alteration (Magic resist only)
Block (Power bash)
Light Armor (For the 50% stam Reg)
Two handed (Battle Axe)

Glass BattleAxe (Legendary) 91 dmge Soul stealer 4 sec

Glass Bow (Legendary) 31 dmge 10 points of shock 5 magic dmge

"Some Ring" - + Two Handed dmge

"Some Pendant" 10% Magic Resist