The End of Boris

Soldato
Lol some people who work together at Downing Street sat outside and had drinks while most likely working since you know they were in the midst of a pandemic, and Boris Johnson who was in ICU with Covid the previous month was outside with them for a bit, but was probably still pretty knackered himself having nearly died and all. Now everyone's blaming him because they couldn't sit by the bedside of their dying Grandmother last year, as if the rules were just implemented to personally victimise them in some callous way
Who came up with these rules with the full force of the law behind them and then he and his friends got away with not following them themselves? That's why people are upset.

Associate
Can you explain your thinking here?

My understanding was that the guidance was a lot more than just ""work from home if you can". For example even if people could not work from home, offices introduced measures such as requiring staff to maintain social distancing, banning face to face meetings, closing canteens and other facilities etc.

I do recall my place following those measures, all though not sure on F2F meetings and Canteen I'm afraid.

That said, who says they didn't have all those rules in place?

It might be seen as an essential meeting, done outside to minimise risk and follow rules - that's what I hope said investigation will tell us.

Soldato
Things won't change until you vote. Just vote for another party, Greens, independent. It should be mandatory, instead we we have tons of wealthy OAP's voting on mass via post or in person and the younger generations not bothering. I bet my my "wasted" vote in a heavy Tory area wouldn't be so if everyone eligible actually voted, it would atleast send a message.
I agree, otherwise politicians have no incentive to give us anything.

Soldato
I do recall my place following those measures, all though not sure on F2F meetings and Canteen I'm afraid.

That said, who says they didn't have all those rules in place?

It might be seen as an essential meeting, done outside to minimise risk and follow rules - that's what I hope said investigation will tell us.
At the time they were very strict on meetings outside too, particularly mass gatherings (a hundred people is a mass gathering). I think it wasn't known at the time that being outside was so much safer than being inside, hence the rules, some of which look silly in hindsight now we know more but were taken extremely seriously at the time by the police and the legal system. The government made sure appropriate punishments were doled out, at least when it came to ordinary people.

Soldato
Who came up with these rules with the full force of the law behind them and then he and his friends got away with not following them themselves? That's why people are upset.
It's not about getting away with anything It's do you want to put relatives at risk, anyone could have got away with all sorts and did, if you obeyed the rules it was to help your loved ones not because Boris said you had to to annoy you.

Soldato

I think it was the Scientific advisors who came up with the rules in order to reduce the rate of infection at a population level, the government was working in Downing Street probably 12 hours a day minimum during the pandemic, I doubt most of them had days off, but some people want to hang them because they had drinks outside (which is actually pretty safe) while most likely still working. I couldn't care less, they delivered a vaccine and did a reasonably well job under difficult circumstances while being constantly criticised

Soldato
There are lots of reasons why people don't vote, even if some of their reasons are based on falsehoods.

I've met people on lower income estates who feel their voice is never heard. They don't feel they are worthy to have a voice and speak about politics on a serious level. I've also met people who dont even want to register their address to vote because they move around and don't want the government to know all their where-abouts.

The other issue is the system itself. The whole British voting system is built to stop insurgents standing in one election and sweeping to power. So based off past experience these parties that get a lot of media coverage to stand in a general election rarely do well because they have no voting base in the area they are standing.

In order to be a political party and to have a chance to get someone elected they first should stand in local council elections. They need to go out, canvas people, drop leaflets in doors, and generally get themselves known in the area for representing local issues. Unless the candidate is already a known person then the chances to win the seat its going to take a few attempts. In my past life experience we used to aim for 5%, 10% and 20%. At the 20% mark I'd expect the candidate to be challenging for the seat. If this is done, and in my example it'll take probably 3 council elections, and is done in each ward, and you can cover enough of a constituency of a sitting MP, you could put forward a candidate as an MP and have a chance of winning as your party has name recognition. Most political parties try to stand in as many MP seats as possible, in the hope of qualifying for a party political broadcast. But if they just focused on one area they would get much more success faster in my opinion. The only party I know of who as done this tactic successfully is the Green Party.

Soldato
I think it was the Scientific advisors who came up with the rules in order to reduce the rate of infection at a population level, the government was working in Downing Street probably 12 hours a day minimum during the pandemic, I doubt most of them had days off, but some people want to hang them because they had drinks outside (which is actually pretty safe) while most likely still working. I couldn't care less, they delivered a vaccine and did a reasonably well job under difficult circumstances while being constantly criticised
We're only the worst in Europe and one of the worst in the world in terms of cases per capita and one of the worst in Europe in terms of deaths per capita. Personally I expect better. As for the vaccine, many European countries have overtaken us although you are right we did quite well on this front which I was very relieved about given how badly we did on everything else.

Soldato
We're only the worst in Europe and one of the worst in the world in terms of cases per capita and one of the worst in Europe in terms of deaths per capita. Personally I expect better. As for the vaccine, many European countries have overtaken us although you are right we did quite well on this front which I was very relieved about given how badly we did on everything else.

We also tested the most people per capita, weird how that works isn't it, testing the most and also finding the most cases, and comparing death rates from Covid, is everyone using the same metric across Europe? I.e. deaths within 28 days of a positive infection? I doubt it. Statistics are funny like that, the details actually matter

Soldato
It's not about getting away with anything It's do you want to put relatives at risk, anyone could have got away with all sorts and did, if you obeyed the rules it was to help your loved ones not because Boris said you had to to annoy you.
Why does government not have any responsibility? If they know the rules don't apply to them why should they bother to make sure they are just or fair? Whatever I decide to do is not entirely separate from the rules that government decide we should all follow. They should be making their own effort to reduce the spread of the pandemic and its consequences, in fact they should lead by example. They have access to the best scientific minds in this country, resources that are not available to the ordinary person, which is why they are in a position to make much more informed decisions on a pandemic involving a novel virus which is why they set the rules not us.

Soldato
We also tested the most people per capita, weird how that works isn't it, testing the most and also finding the most cases, and comparing death rates from Covid, is everyone using the same metric across Europe? I.e. deaths within 28 days of a positive infection? I doubt it. Statistics are funny like that, the details actually matter

The number of deaths from Covid according to the ONS shows we are undercounting deaths: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/11/uk-covid-death-toll-ons

Strange you would trust a government led by a known liar on this.

Last edited:
Associate
Soldato
You cant trust any of them. Russia has apparently had 316K deaths related to covid, but there excess deaths since the beginning of the pandemic is now 929k. Everyone can fudge numbers
Western democracies are more trustworthy than the Russians I think. Excess deaths is a good check, it's obvious we have done poorly from the statistics compared to our European peers and particularly compared to the Far East and the Pacific.

Associate
Western democracies are more trustworthy than the Russians I think. Excess deaths is a good check, it's obvious we have done poorly from the statistics compared to our European peers and particularly compared to the Far East and the Pacific.
think that was mainly from not locking down sooner in 1st lockdown...think we were 2 weeks behind europe then and damage was done. Hence why they didn't dither about vaccine and just placed orders as soon as possible

Caporegime
As opposed to all the other trust worthy Politicians?

Given the choice between having a a known and prover liar as your PM or somebody else who might be a liar, seems strange so many people plump for the proven liar?

You are basically saying

All women cheat
Therefore I will marry the woman who has already had several affairs while I was engaged to her and has already slept with my brother, my best friend, my father and everybody else at work cause "they all cheat" and then continue to be happy while she sleeps around while you are married to her.

SPG

SPG

Soldato

Did we do bad ? It seems the UK will be the first western country for the disease to become endemic, Maybe this was long term and getting to it as quickly was possibly the only sensible solution. People should be fully aware of the risk of catching it whether thats 3 days ago or 18months ago. No easy choices at the end of the day.

Soldato
Things won't change until you vote. Just vote for another party, Greens, independent. It should be mandatory, instead we we have tons of wealthy OAP's voting on mass via post or in person and the younger generations not bothering. I bet my my "wasted" vote in a heavy Tory area wouldn't be so if everyone eligible actually voted, it would atleast send a message.

If the wealthy OAPs get so frustrated with Boris that they don't bother voting, then the younger generations come into play.

I don't care who anyone votes for, just vote. It's never pointless.

Soldato
Did we do bad ? It seems the UK will be the first western country for the disease to become endemic, Maybe this was long term and getting to it as quickly was possibly the only sensible solution. People should be fully aware of the risk of catching it whether thats 3 days ago or 18months ago. No easy choices at the end of the day.

Throwing England under the bus 'to get it over with' is not a good health strategy. Note England as the other nations in the UK did not follow this line.

Last edited: